MBB: University Athletic Association

Started by Allen M. Karon, February 21, 2005, 08:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greek Tragedy

How tall is Stuive? I don't know much about Hope, but he's listed at their center and he shoots 10-11 from 3??? Wow! Hard to beat that.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Gregory Sager

Stuive is 6'7, 205. He and Harrison Blackledge (6'6, 210) really function more as dual stretch-fours than as a traditional center-and-power-forward combo, because they both post up a lot and they both go out on the floor to shoot roughly the same number of trey attempts on the season. I actually think that, if you had to pick one as the center, it'd be Blackledge, because he's more the muscle guy of the two (which is fitting, considering that his dad is college football analyst and former NFL quarterback Todd Blackledge), and he takes more shots from in close than does Stuive.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Gregory Sager

Hardin-Simmons knocks off Emory, 95-85, so Rochester is the only UAA team to advance to the second weekend.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Flying Dutch Fan

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on March 04, 2017, 09:37:51 PM
How tall is Stuive? I don't know much about Hope, but he's listed at their center and he shoots 10-11 from 3??? Wow! Hard to beat that.

Stuive is indeed 6'7", and has the wingspan of a 7 footer. Always has had a good outside shot, but this kind of performance was a very pleasant surprise. He's a tough matchup though for most teams. 2nd Hope player this season to hit 10 threes in a game - Chad Carlson went 10-17 against Olivet last month
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

Dutchfan

Quote from: Flying Dutch Fan on March 05, 2017, 12:02:37 AM

Stuive is indeed 6'7", and has the wingspan of a 7 footer. Always has had a good outside shot, but this kind of performance was a very pleasant surprise. He's a tough matchup though for most teams. 2nd Hope player this season to hit 10 threes in a game - Chad Carlson went 10-17 against Olivet last month

Oddly enough Stuive is the tallest player on Hope's team at 6'7" and Carlson is the shortest at 5'7".

HOPEful

Quote from: Dutchfan on March 05, 2017, 09:35:39 PM
Quote from: Flying Dutch Fan on March 05, 2017, 12:02:37 AM

Oddly enough Stuive is the tallest player on Hope's team at 6'7" and Carlson is the shortest at 5'7".
Let's go Dutchmen!

2015-2016 1-&-Done Tournament Fantasy League Co-Champion

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: sac on March 01, 2017, 10:26:52 PM

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 01, 2017, 08:52:50 PM
Honestly... no one is going to beat this: https://youtu.be/P7CyP54B25w

Nearly the exact thing happened in an Indiana state tournament game last night, two steps shorter maybe.

https://youtu.be/Q5wFjtWOgD8

I think this is it.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

WUPHF

Washington University holds a 3-1 record against teams in the Elite 8.  :'(

Congratulations to Rochester as the Yellowjackets defeated Marietta, 85-80..

Mack Montague scored 27 to lead the team in scoring.  Sam Borst-Smith and Zach Ayers added 17 and 13.  It looks like Ryan Clamage played a big role, scoring 11 including a key lay-up and rebound in final seconds of the game.  He finished with 6 rebounds.  Clamage averages 17 minutes per game, but played 27 tonight.

WUPHF

Congratulations to the University of Rochester for advancing to the Elite 8 and coming oh so close to yet another Final Four. 

A host of UAA players garnered end of season accolades in the last two weeks including Sam Borst-Smith, Mack Montague, Andrew Sanders, Adam Gigax, and Jack Serbin.

Here is a quick look at how the UAA teams finished the season including the final records and key seniors lost to graduation.  I included a rough draft look at players who are returning for 2017-2018. There are more to add. 

Washington University 21-6, 12-2 UAA
Key seniors: Michael Bregman, Clinton Hooks.
Key players returning: Andrew Sanders, Matt Highsmith, Jake Knupp, Kevin Kucera, David Schmelter and Marcus Meyer.

Rochester, 24-5, 10-4 UAA
Key seniors: Sam Borst-Smith, Mack Montague, and Zach Ayers.
Key players returning: Jacob Wittig, Ryan Clamage, Tucker Knox, and Andrew Lundstrom.

Emory 19-8, 9-5 UAA
Key seniors:  include Jim Gordon, Austin DaGue, and Jonathan Terry.
Key players returning: Adam Gigax, Christopher Avant, and Whit Rapp.

Chicago 16-9, 8-6 UAA
Key seniors: Blaine Crawford, Alex Gustafson, Tyler Howard and Waller Perez.
Key players returning: Jake Fenlon, Noah Karras, Collin Barthel, Ryan Jacobson, and Jordan Baum.

Carnegie Mellon 14-12, 8-6

Key seniors: Jack Serbin, Chris Shkil.
Key players returning: Ryan Maha, Colin McNeil, Seth Henry, Zach Howarth, and Patrick Ehland.

Brandeis 8-16, 4-10 UAA
Key seniors: Tim Reale, Robinson Vilmont and Jack Fay.
Key players returning: Jordan Cooper, Eric D'Aguanno, Nate Meehan, and Collin Sawyer.

Case Western Reserve 8-17, 3-11 UAA

Key seniors: Javi Alvarez.
Key players returning: T.J. Duckett, Connor Nally, Colin Zucker, Sam Hansen, David Chambers, and the twins.

NYU 7-18, 2-12
Key seniors: Joe Timmes
Key players returning: Ross Udine, Jimmy Martinelli, Cameron Moore, Doug Gertner, Ted Georgidadis, Jordan Harris, Jack Heller.

Having detailed all that, here is how I believe the UAA teams will finish in 2017-2018:

Washington University, UAA Champions
Chicago
Rochester
Case Western Reserve
Emory
Carngie Mellon
NYU
Brandeis

hopefan

Wuh good job. I don't follow uaa much except for Wash U. It appears Chicago loses the most bodies, but you still like them for second.  Can you go in to more detail?  Thanks.   
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

Gregory Sager

I can foresee there being a huge logjam in the 2-4 or 2-5 spots. However, based solely upon returning rosters (which, of course, can turn out to be a slender reed to lean upon for prognostication's sake), there is a significant gap between Wash U and the rest of the UAA.

WUPHF

+1 Thanks and Chicago over Rochester was the toughest call to make.

Just my novice opinion based on returning players, established results and assumptions:

Chicago will be favored at the post with Collin Barthel, though I was very impressed with Andrew Lundstrom this season.  Again with assumptions, but Ryan Jacobsen and Tucker Know are a wash.

Rochester has a now veteran point guard in Jacob Wittig with Ryan Clamage ready to play the starting shooting guard, but I am making some assumptions on Jordan Baum and saying that Chicago will have the better of the guard play overall with Jake Fenlon and Noah Karras. 

As part of the guard play, Chicago will be the best three point shooting team in the conference next year and probably by a significant margin.

Smitty Oom

I was thinking Emory would be the second... care to explain why they were so low WUH?

WUPHF

I have a feeling that Coach Zimmerman would have a good laugh if he were to hear about my No. 5 ranking.

He might laugh too that I left guys off the key returning players list such as Gebereal Baitey (my mistake!) who scored in double figures in 7 of the final 8 conference games and Nick Tupanjanin who scored 12 points in 12 minutes in the first half of the tourney game against Texas Lutheran. 

I am sure Emory has more talent and will get their share of wins, but I was concerned by the way they played at times this season including those dreadful road losses against Rochester and Washington University.  Emory in general and their leading scorer in particular will have to pose a more consistent offensive threat.