Lacrosse

Started by drisclaw, July 03, 2011, 09:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amh63

Some comments/news.
Natalie Moore, a Bowdoin grad in. 2015 and a fine Lax player has been hired as an assistant coach for the Amherst Women lax team.  A former teammate of PolarCat's Polarbears?  :)
The men's tennis team is heading south to Orlando Florida very very soon.  There is a huge new tennis complex there and teams from around the country are arriving,  Maybe only a matter of time that D3 lax teams will find their way to Orlando.
Am thinking wrt PolarCat's question on a new HC at Williams.  Another time and another post.

amh63

OK. PolarCat and Vandy...felt compelled to adjust my "eyes" to some Lax play.
Went to the Bates game in Maine...online of course...and all I saw was a field, heavily covered in dense fog!  Went to the game at Babson...Bates men's game...and saw players move around with no announcers.VERY dull!
Later, while awaiting some D1 MBB games....hey, how about the Commodores Vandy!...I watched the exciting game between Georgetown vs Johns Hopkins Un in Baltimore...women's game. 
Remember the number of times I watched the Lady Jeffs in the Final 4 battle on that field.  Even had a old friend, a JHU grad, sitting with me in the stands.  Remember a tall fleet Amherst player run the field from VT named Allison.  She is now the women's lacrosse HC at Deerfield with the last name of DiNardo.  Remember she grew up and played near Middlebury.  Always wondered why she came to Amherst to win a national title.  Played at one of those close by Middlebury feeder schools....think her patents were connected to Middlebury.  Thought she maybe a good candidate for the Williams job but her married name changed that...her husband maybe an Amherst grad on the Amherst athletic staff.

amh63

OK, back again!
Some more info on Allison of Deerfield.  In 2003, Amherst won the National Title over Middlebury.  In the prior year, Amherst lost in 2OT to....you guess it, Middlebury.  Allison was a junior in 2003.  Her family name is Aldrich.  She went to Middlebury Union and is from Cornwall VT.  Vandy...you must know the family! :)
PolarCat, it seems that the Amherst vs Bowdoin game scheduled for Sat. Has been moved to Sunday.  Seems the reason is weather conditions in Maine...high winds and bitter cold temps.

Vandy74

Quote from: amh63 on March 02, 2017, 10:44:25 AM
OK, back again!
Some more info on Allison of Deerfield.  In 2003, Amherst won the National Title over Middlebury.  In the prior year, Amherst lost in 2OT to....you guess it, Middlebury.  Allison was a junior in 2003.  Her family name is Aldrich.  She went to Middlebury Union and is from Cornwall VT.  Vandy...you must know the family! :)
PolarCat, it seems that the Amherst vs Bowdoin game scheduled for Sat. Has been moved to Sunday.  Seems the reason is weather conditions in Maine...high winds and bitter cold temps.

amh63,

Allison's dad was a very successful HC of the MC women's cross country team winning 6 national championships between 2000 and 2010.  He retired a few seasons back but continues to support Middlebury lax.  He and I have watched many games together over years.

Regrettably, I'll have to miss this season's MC-Amherst women's match up.  My fantasy baseball draft is that day. :P

PolarCat

amh63, you are correct: Nat Moore was a FANTASTIC player an even better person, and a teammate of PolarKitten.  It will be fun to see her back in Brunswick, particularly if her old team beats her new team.   ;D

Four of the NESCAC WLAX games have been moved to Sunday due to bitter cold today.  Although the "bitter cold" part is open to interpretation.  Game time temps today were projected to be 13 F with a wind chill of -3.  Heck, in Maine or Vermont, we consider those spring conditions.  We must be coddling the players from the Deep South, like Amherst.  Need to toughen up those Lady Jeffs, amh!

Sadly, I will miss the game, since I had a previously booked flight I can't change.  Hopefully the plane will have WiFi and I can watch the action (from the notoriously bad Bowdoin camera angle, and with the often-worse, clueless announcers) from 30,000 feet.

Vandy74

Quote from: PolarCat on March 04, 2017, 09:57:53 AM
amh63, you are correct: Nat Moore was a FANTASTIC player an even better person, and a teammate of PolarKitten.  It will be fun to see her back in Brunswick, particularly if her old team beats her new team.   ;D

Four of the NESCAC WLAX games have been moved to Sunday due to bitter cold today.  Although the "bitter cold" part is open to interpretation.  Game time temps today were projected to be 13 F with a wind chill of -3.  Heck, in Maine or Vermont, we consider those spring conditions.  We must be coddling the players from the Deep South, like Amherst.  Need to toughen up those Lady Jeffs, amh!

Sadly, I will miss the game, since I had a previously booked flight I can't change.  Hopefully the plane will have WiFi and I can watch the action (from the notoriously bad Bowdoin camera angle, and with the often-worse, clueless announcers) from 30,000 feet.

Middlebury hosts Connecticut College in one of those games.  Naturally it's scheduled to start at 2:00, the same time as another athletic contest amh63 and I will be paying much closer attention to, the NESCAC women's ice hockey finals.  It's been a parity season with top seeded Middlebury earning only an 11-4-1 conference record.  Only two of the nine NESCAC teams have losing records in conference play. # 5 seed Amherst has played it's way into the AQ winning title game.   

PolarCat

Two amazing OT upsets yesterday as Bowdoin defeated 8th ranked Amherst, and Wes defeated 13th ranked Bates.  The Bowdoin result didn't surprise me, though Junior GK had an incredible performance in net.  But I never saw Wes coming.  Could this signal the renaissance of the Cards program?

In a rare double header (Colby played their "home" opener at Bowdoin, due to conditions in Waterville) 16th ranked Hamilton nipped the 18th ranked Mules in a close fought game.  A great afternoon of WLAX in Brunswick.

It's shaping up to be a great year in the Conference.  Midd and Trinity have yet to be tested, each cruising to easy wins yesterday.  I suspect the Polar Bears will only get stronger as the season progresses.  Two impact players who are rehabbing missed the Amherst game, and the FY's who played showed some understandable nerves and made some mistakes in the pressure of their first collegiate outings.

amh63

In the two Bowdoin vs Amherst Lax matches, the home teams " held serve".  Congrats to the lady Polarbears as their defense made it hard for the lady LJs. 
You are correct PolarCat, the camera coverage of the game in Maine has much to desire.  How about a side camera coverage?  Leave the announcer alone since he must be watching the action at the end zone and calling it from that perspective.

PolarCat

Yeah, that end zone mounted camera leaves a lot to be desired.  Not only is it tough to see the action at the far end of the field, but you also miss out on all the crowd noise.

On the plus side, the camera person did a pretty good job of following the action.  I've seen too many CAC games where the player with the ball disappeared out of the frame, penalties were missed, etc.

The guy announcing the Bowdoin games does an okay jobs, though like most NSN announcers he clearly doesn't understand the rules of the Women's game.  The LJ announcer is the best in the CAC and I wish NSN could clone him for the other schools.

amh63

Need to clarify an earlier posted remark...wrt the Bowdoin NSN  announcer.  Meant to say "Left" vice " Leave".  One cannot comment/ describe on plays that one cannot see :).
With respect to the NSN paid announcer on the Amherst men's game, he is a local one who did the UMass-Amherst hockey games.  He would do the Amherst hockey games pro bono.  In a crude sense,men's lax play can be like men's hockey with all its body checks, etc.  In the dark ages of my Amherst years, Amherst would go to UMass down the road and play a mean form of Lax.  The Team made up of mainly football players would crash into the net goalie at times.  Of course, the "ball" would sometimes go into the Cow fields next door. :). Very primitive in those days. 
Of course, women lax is a more refined game with no body armour/helmets/gloves.  Skill/speed in both games are the key elements,imho.

amh63

The Nescac Lax teams are going full speed now...winning over out of conference teams.  Both Amherst teams won handily over their opponents...Keene and Western New England.  Seems the Bowdoin vs Amherst matches to start the season were outliers.

amh63

The Bates team put a whipping on the Amherst men's Lax team the other day at Bates.  Saw the mounds of snow in the background.  Must be the weather impact on the Southerners from Mass. :).
In any case glad that this generation of Lax players are not like from the football team ... as in my days.

amh63

After watching two games at Amherst on a cold evening to game under the lights at Franklin & Marshall in Pa.  Defending Nat. champs, Middlebury women's team was playing from behind to a very solid Diplomat team...on a 7 game winning streak.  Midd ties the game with less than 4 min. In the game at 8-8.  With over 2 and half min to go, Midd goes for the last shot win less than 10 sec.  Game goes into OT.  F&M wins in OT.
Midd' s going for the last shot came out of a timeout.  It was surprising in that the Panthers scored 2 goals under a minute to tie the score 8-8. 

Amherst's women's team won 11-0 over Babson.  Amherst's men's team had its way over a good Springfield team...19-14, I believe.  It was 18-5 for the longest time, Amherst.  According to the announcers...it was cold and windy conditions in Amherst.

Vandy74

Quote from: amh63 on March 29, 2017, 09:30:48 PM
After watching two games at Amherst on a cold evening to game under the lights at Franklin & Marshall in Pa.  Defending Nat. champs, Middlebury women's team was playing from behind to a very solid Diplomat team...on a 7 game winning streak.  Midd ties the game with less than 4 min. In the game at 8-8.  With over 2 and half min to go, Midd goes for the last shot win less than 10 sec.  Game goes into OT.  F&M wins in OT.
Midd' s going for the last shot came out of a timeout.  It was surprising in that the Panthers scored 2 goals under a minute to tie the score 8-8. 

Unforced turnovers were costly for Middlebury in a game played to an almost statistical draw.  The Panthers trailed 4-0 before finally scoring.  They tied the game at 5-5 and 8-8 but never led.  They never possessed the ball in OT.  It has been a tough week for the Panthers who suffered overtime defeats at the hands of Bowdoin and Franklin & Marshall while managing an impressive victory over TCNJ.  Middlebury returns from their Spring Break road trip to host Amherst on Saturday.   The LJs have also experienced an OT loss in Brunswick this season.  I'm counting on amh63 to watch this one for me as I'll be attending my fantasy baseball league draft. :( :(   

PolarCat

Have no fear amh63, the program will rebound with the new mascot.  Every athletic young woman in America dreams of being called a "Mammoth".  About the only more feminine mascot I can think of would be the "Feral Pigs".