SLIAC

Started by watchdog, March 08, 2004, 02:18:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hopefan

Two SLIAC lady's games in St.Louis to keep us ticking until a full conference schedule on Saturday...

Tonight (Tuesday, 12/5), Webster hosts Finlandia.....I may go check this out just to ask someone from Finlandia:
     Why schedule Webster, 690 miles away?
      and in the middle of the week?
     How did they travel?   if they drove...690 miles... 3 days out of classes? and exhausted when they get home?  and good grief, they play at Northland on Thursday night.... How can they do it???
      And how did they get two players on their roster from FLORIDA?.. one from Miami...uhhh, that's 1850 miles!!!  these are the kind of tidbits I'd love to find out about.. what enticed this young lady to pick Finlandia.. she didn't have to go that far north if she just wanted to see snow!! ;D ;D

Anyway, Finlandia enters the game 0-7, 6 blowouts and a close loss to Whittier...

The 2nd game is intriguing, Greenville comes to Wash U on Wednesday.. I'm sure that after two great wins over Eureka and Westminster that the Greenville program is flying high, but Nancy or no Nancy, I think of Wash U as a totally different level... still, they lost to Austin.... might be interesting to see...

Incidentally speaking of Nancy Fahey... currently 6-4 at U of Illinois... some nice wins, but some blowout losses... I have no idea what expectations were....
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

jaybird44

The vibe seems to me that there wasn't a lot of external pressure on Coach Fahey.  Certainly not to win 20+ games in her first season.  More like being competitive in her first season and go from there toward becoming a perennial contender to win the Big 10.

y_jack_lok

Looks like Webster set a new school record last night with 16 made three pointers in the game vs Finlandia. The record book shows the previous high being 13 on 2/4/17 and 12/1/10. It is also the third highest percentage of three pointers made in a game at 57.1% -- 16 of 28. Must be at least 10 made to qualify for the percentage record. Tops is 86.7% on an amazing 13 of 15 on 12/1/10. Congrats on the great shooting last night.

hopefan

Quote from: y_jack_lok on December 06, 2017, 02:23:28 AM
Looks like Webster set a new school record last night with 16 made three pointers in the game vs Finlandia. The record book shows the previous high being 13 on 2/4/17 and 12/1/10. It is also the third highest percentage of three pointers made in a game at 57.1% -- 16 of 28. Must be at least 10 made to qualify for the percentage record. Tops is 86.7% on an amazing 13 of 15 on 12/1/10. Congrats on the great shooting last night.

12/1/10..was that the days of Katie (what's her last name?)?

y_jack_lok

Quote from: hopefan on December 06, 2017, 02:03:21 PM

Yes: http://webster_ftp.sidearmsports.com/custompages/WBasketball/10-11stats/WB37.HTM

hopefan

Quote from: y_jack_lok on December 06, 2017, 03:00:53 PM
Quote from: hopefan on December 06, 2017, 02:03:21 PM

Yes: http://webster_ftp.sidearmsports.com/custompages/WBasketball/10-11stats/WB37.HTM

wahoo... Katy Meyer... nice shooter from the perimeter... 43% senior year.. right around 40% career despite weak freshman year.....

hopefan

Quote from: hopefan on December 05, 2017, 11:58:50 AM
Greenville comes to Wash U on Wednesday.. I'm sure that after two great wins over Eureka and Westminster that the Greenville program is flying high, but Nancy or no Nancy, I think of Wash U as a totally different level...

Wow, I was right on this one... Greenville seemed intimidated from the outset...nowhere near the level of confidence I saw vs Eureka...  Wash U blows them out  83-56 despite Wash U looking very sloppy with 21 turnovers...This was D2.5 vs D3.5 rather than D3 vs D3....

hopefan

Unlike the Men's conference race, which, after 3 games seems to have narrowed itself to 7 legitimate candidates for 4 conference tourney spots (I eliminate Fontbonne, Iowa Wesleyan, and (gasp) MacMurray who was my preseason choice to win it all)...  the ladies race seem to already be decided as 4 teams seem to be locks for the 4 conference tourney bids... Greenville, Eureka, Westminster and Webster... Fontbonne might have been included, but couldn't compete with Webster, and I don't see them competing with Eureka or Greenville either.... Westminster beat Spalding, and Spalding lost close to Fontbonne....Greenville has already beaten Eureka very close (a great game) and clobbered Westmin....

Now, who does this little writeup end up being the kiss of death for? ;D ;D

hopefan

No matter that UW-Plattville came into their game with Fontbonne sporting a mediocre 4-5 record..

ANY SLIAC win over a WIAC team is beyond impressive...

Fontbonne 82   UW-Plattville 81

A great win for Fontbonne, a great win for the SLIAC!!!!     Congrats to the Griffs!!!

AND

add to that two wins for the Webster ladies out on the west coast....over Whittier and Pomona Pitzer....again, I don't care what their records were... a SLIAC team traveling to the west coast and coming back with 2 wins vs D3 teams is highly noteworthy...

A great Christmas break showing for both of our St. Louis SLIAC teams!!

y_jack_lok

^^^ Sadly, Fontbonne loses to Hendrix a day after the win over UWPville. Hendrix was totally destroyed by Wash U the day before. Webster concludes its CA trip vs Claremont-Mudd-Scripps today -- probably the best of the 3 teams they play out there, so a third win would be great.

hopefan

Quote from: y_jack_lok on December 31, 2017, 10:00:38 AM
^^^ Sadly, Fontbonne loses to Hendrix a day after the win over UWPville. Hendrix was totally destroyed by Wash U the day before. Webster concludes its CA trip vs Claremont-Mudd-Scripps today -- probably the best of the 3 teams they play out there, so a third win would be great.

and yes, Webster falls to CMS   relatively close    56-49

hopefan

Went to internet to watch Greenville women- vs MacMurray women... NOPE... they wanted $7.99 to watch... why in the world would Greenville feel it's necessary to subscribe to this... and really, how many pay the freight?

So I go to Webster-Iowa Wez... Audio only, announcers unprepared...don't know the names, didn't know the Lucas ladies were sisters (twins) etc....maybe with time....

So I go to Eureka vs Spalding... yes a video, but the announcers are very close to awful... one fellow seems to be slightly prepared with knowledge of some names, but the other guy whines out a piece of info 15 seconds after the fact... at least we have the video

Westminster offers only live stats...

needs alot of work, SLIAC

Dutch32

Quote from: hopefan on January 03, 2018, 07:12:57 PMneeds alot of work, SLIAC

Many of these schools don't have a budget to hire top-notch play-by-play announcers. Or can't find a student to fill in during the height of semester break.

Eureka, in particular, has evolved from absolutely no video to live, free video streams along with live stats in a span of less than five years.

These schools' athletics staffs do a lot with very little. I guess you can't please everybody.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The first regional rankings are out which in itself brings on a lot of conversation, but the jockeying and positioning contines in conferences around the country for teams trying to keep their seasons going into March.

On Thursday's edition of Hoopsville, Dave talks to a number of high-ranking squads about the pressure to stay atop their respective conference races while also positioning themselves well in the regional rankings.

Dave also welcomes a coach who has played in DIII, coached in both DII and DIII, and coached both men and women. He talks about the road, possibly, less traveled in the "WBCA Center Court" segment.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. You can watch the show LIVE starting at 7:00 p.m. ET here: http://bit.ly/2EROVeC

If you have questions, be sure to interact with the show on social media (see below) or email us your questions (hoopsville@d3hoops.com).

Guests include (in order of appearance):
- Ryan Gould, No. 7 Trine women's coach
- Michelle Ferenz, No. 5 Whitman women's coach
- Charlie Just, Spalding women's coach (WBCA Center Court)
- Landry Kosmalski, No. 11 Swarthmore men's coach
- Tom Curle, Plattsburgh State men's coach

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts instead, you can get access to them or subscribe one of the three following ways (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.