Scoring Questions

Started by Mr. Ypsi, October 20, 2013, 07:24:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Dixon

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on June 10, 2018, 11:08:28 PM

Thanks, guys.  I'm happy to see the distinction made between a sac bunt and a sac fly.  The bunt is almost always a deliberate sacrifice for the cause; a sac fly is generally an attempted hit that happened to drive in a run.

Characterizing  a sac fly as an attempted hit is an over simplification.  I expect that a significant portion of sac flies are hit with the express intention to hit a fly ball.  I bet the number of intentional sac flies that fall for hits is similar to the number of intentions to get a hit but ends up being a sac fly.

This begs the odd question: Is the proportion of home runs with a runner on third and less than two outs greater than in other situations? 

I suspect the most likely hit if your intent is to hit a sac fly is the home run.  Just food for thought.

Bombers798891

Quote from: Jim Dixon on June 11, 2018, 12:49:24 PM

This begs the odd question: Is the proportion of home runs with a runner on third and less than two outs greater than in other situations? 

No.

Last year, players hit 277 HRs in 9,483 PAs where there was a runner on 3rd and less than two outs. One every 34.2 PAs

In other situations, the numbers were in 5,828 HRs in 175,812 PAs, or one every 30.2

Jim Dixon

Here is an odd one.  My first triple play in person:

9-4-5-1-3

From the pitch to the final out: 20 seconds. You have to chalk this up to "sometimes the gods are not with you"