2017 Conversation Starter (News, Coaching Carousel, Rumor Mill, etc)

Started by DivisionIIISoccerSource, January 26, 2017, 10:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DivisionIIISoccerSource

Hey everyone!

As someone who loves NCAA D3 Women's Soccer, I wanted to get the ball kicking for the new year!
I am not affiliated with D3soccer.com, but will bring you updates for conversation every Thursday, around 10:30pm EST.
If you have any news or insight for the week's post, share it! Here's quick speed through of some things to note so far....
Cheers!!

Coaching Departures
Blackburn: Tim Gould named Head Men's Coach at Mississippi University for Women (Yes. They are coed)
Centenary (LA): David Orr promoted to Administrative role.
Coe: Scott Myers has accepted a job as an assistant coach at NCAA Division I Illinois State.
Dallas: Angelina Payne no longer the Women's Coach.
Dickinson: Kelly Tyrrell has resigned from her post.
Emory & Henry: Linda Schirmeister-Gess has resigned. Source says she was more or less forced out.
Eastern Nazarene: Bob Meals is no longer the Head Women's Soccer Coach.
Iowa Wesleyan Nick Stebbins left post.
Knox: Paul Lawrence has been named Head Coach at Florida-Southern (D2).
Lycoming: Eric Lewis resigned mid-season. Markus Rybak took over as Interim.
MacMurry: Drew Lenhardt no longer the coach.
McMurry: Megan Schmidt has resigned from her post.
Mount Saint Vincent: Nathan Rauscher is no longer the Head Coach.
Nichols: Sonia Basma was named Head Coach at Northern Michigan (D2).
Piedmont: Stephen Andrews has accepted the Head Women's position at Valdosta State (D2).
SUNY New Paltz: Colleen Bruley is no longer the Women's Soccer Coach.
SUNY Purchase: Amy Marron signed professional contract in Australia.
Transylvania: Michael Fulton no longer Transy Coach.
Ursinus: Kelly Wakeman is presumably leaving or will be resigning.
UW Superior: Morgan MacLean has resigned for youth coaching opportunities.
Washington (MD): Kerry Smith has been forced out per inside source.
Wheaton (MA): Luis Reis was supposedly fired. Can not confirm this.
Western Connecticut State: Alex Harrison has left his post. Possibly advanced his career but unaware of his placement.
William Peace: Keith Jenkins presumably fired or asked to step down.
Wittenberg: Matt Fannon named Head Coach at Bowling Green State (D2).
Yeshiva: Gabe Haber was fired.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Vacancies
Blackburn: Job was advertised. Still no hire.
Centenary (LA): Position is advanced hiring phase.
Coe: A national search for a new coach is underway.
Dickinson: A national search for a replacement has begun.
Emory & Henry: A national search for Emory & Henry's next Head Women's Soccer Coach began in November.
Eastern Nazarene: Job is currently being advertised.
McMurry: Search for replacement was advertised. No word on successor.
Mount Saint Vincent: Job is being advertised.
New Paltz: Position is being advertised.
Nichols: A nationwide search has begun for a new women's soccer head coach.
Ursinus: Job is being advertised for March start.
Washington (MD): Job is being advertised.
Western Connecticut State: A nationwide search has begun for a new women's soccer head coach.
Wittenberg: Currently conducting a national search to fill the head coaching vacancy.
Yeshiva: Position listed.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Coaching Hires:
Allegheny: Pam Monnier has been elevated to Head Coach after serving as the Interim Head Coach.
Dallas: Lexi Stinson named Head Coach after being a graduate assistant at LeTourneau University.
Iowa Wesleyan Chris Early named Head Coach after being a volunteer assistant at University of Iowa.
Knox: Chris Haught-Thompson named Head Coach after being an assistant at Division I's Virginia Military Institute.
Lycoming: Kenny Fern has taken over after serving as the assistant coach.
MacMurry: Gabe Attanasio is now listed as the Head Coach. No formal announcement.
Piedmont: Tim McCormack was elevated from his assistant role with Piedmont to Head Coach.
SUNY Purchase: Breena Salwocki named Head Coach after being an assistant at Simpson College previously.
Transylvania: Luis Reis formerly of Wheaton College (MA) was hired as the Head Coach.
Wheaton: Bobby Desilets hired after Head Coaching at Wentworth Institute of Tech.
William Peace: Mary Puckett named Head Coach after being an assistant coach with Rhodes College.

News and Rumors
Mississippi University for Women rumored to be announcing program for Fall, 2018. Not sure where they will play if so... likely SCAC, SAA, or USA South.
Cal-Tech will begin conference play this upcoming fall (2017).
Brevard College, Dean College, Pfeiffer University, Saint Anselm's College begin exploratory membership for Division III.
Berea will join USA South in 2017. In final year of provisional membership.
Brevard will begin provisional membership into Division III in USA South.
Pfeiffer will begin provisional membership into Division III in USA South.

QUESTION OF WEEK:
Most impactful coaching change thus far in Division III women's soccer?

<PLEASE FEEL FREE TO FACT CHECK AND CORRECT WHERE APPROPRIATE AS WELL AS ADD TO LIST>

cciw83

Wow, that was a lot of material to compile. Thanks for doing that.

One correction the Wittenberg coach, Matt Fannon, is taking over a D1 program at Bowling Green State U.

Had a question for the Northeast crew why Luis Reis after 20 years and a successful career at Wheaton (MA) would leave or be asked to leave and wind up at Transylvania U.?

Your question on most impactful coaching change might be Paul Lawrence leaving Knox to go to D2 Fl Southern. It's a great opportunity for him as FL Southern is a school with a lot of potential. Knox has to fight all the other larger Midwest schools for recruits.

Under news/rumors the USA South Conference  is taking on three more schools under provisional membership, (Berea, Brevard and Pfeiffer, since they already have 16 schools in that conference adding those three brings it to 19. That is becoming like a region in itself.

DivisionIIISoccerSource

No problem!! And Whoops. D1 at BGS. Lots of typing and research ! (HA) The D3soccer site I imagine is going to start rolling in some new content soon, so I just helped the process. Plus get conversations flowing on women'S side.

I know Transy is a quality situation where Program can be successful. Maybe Wheaton wanted new leadership to transition, or maybe Luis needed better weather. Who knows! I'm shocked Transylvania went with a coach that won't be there for more than 3 or 4 years. You would think he would go D2 or small D1 with his track record.

Losing Paul for Knox is a huge blow. They were building something really special. Curious to see how they respond. Great for him though as FS can be something now with a different mindset. Apparently they brought in the Head Coach from Austin there to be successor too previous season.... look how that went. My impact look is more of Centennial and if the 3 schools with vacancies bring in a quality coach. All of them have a solid school to recruit at....

USA South is MASSIVE on the women's side like you said. Men's are okay with teams but womens... Maybe they do a split women's conference because it is in a region in itself. Teams from New Jersey, etc should not be in the "South-East". Need to reorganize that one for sure.....  but there's not really a competitive program either besides the ODAC programs and Emory of UAA so they would need that to stay the same for competition sake. Unless a few D2s in South Carolina transition and Georgia transition....which is a current trend.

DivisionIIISoccerSource

New Paltz filled their Coaching vacancy with former Towson Assistant.
Southern Virginia Removed the interim tag as well from their current coach.

Not much movement going around. A little surprised because several of the schools have missed the entirety of the prime recruiting season for next year's fall class.

DivisionIIISoccerSource

UPDATE

Coaching Hires
New Paltz: Mike Eckberg hired after assistant coaching at D1 Towson.
Southern Virginia: Cox Sheds was elevated from her interim role.
Dickinson: Ted Zingman hired as Head Coach after coaching at Hamline.
Massachusetts Maritime: Yvonna Press has been promoted to Head Coach after serving as the assistant.
Wittenb: Katie Robinson hired as Head Coach after being the assistant at Ohio Northern University.

Notes
Emory & Henry have elevated their Assistant to "Acting Head Coach".
There is chatter of a coaching change similar to Coe about to happen. Interested to see what happens...

Ron Boerger

Quote from: DivisionIIISoccerSource on January 26, 2017, 10:12:10 PM

News and Rumors
Mississippi University for Women rumored to be announcing program for Fall, 2018. Not sure where they will play if so... likely SCAC, SAA, or USA South.

Lots of good stuff here.   Thanks for pulling it all together.

Re MUW ... this isn't even a D3 participant, and they currently have zero athletic programs.  Next year begins their exploratory year and they are starting a total of six sports (three male, three female).   Given that, location, and academics I don't see them as a fit for either the SCAC or SAA.   

That said ... SCAC has some sort of announcement scheduled tomorrow.   Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong. 

Ron Boerger

The SCAC announced that Johnson and Wales - Denver will join the conference in 2018-19 as they transition from NAIA to D3.   They currently offer women's/men's soccer with about eight other sports and are looking to add more.   This will help uncomplicate the travel situation which has seen schools forced to go from Colorado Springs to Sherman, TX in a weekend.   

DivisionIIISoccerSource

No problem Ron!!!

I have about 4 or 5 more to update on this list. Will be taking care of that tomorrow.
Recruiting list for the teams are slowly getting together. Just love the research, so I don't mind tbh.

MUW I knew was going 3 and 3 and just started programs back up. Words from AD mention Women's soccer coming in 2018. Not sure if USA South is ideal for them, but could be wrong considering Berea joined the conference and is not near anyone. Mississippi to North Carolina seems more of a stretch than Colorado to Texas. Speaking of which, I did not know JWU was transitioning. Interesting to be honest but that's been a trend of NAIA members leaving and not gaining member. I imagine that it will fold to pretty much nothing and be swallowed by the NCAA. This would help the Division 3 and 2 to help combat that travel in the Southeast and west of the Mississippi River that you were mentioning.
Now if only if they could restriction the regions.......

DivisionIIISoccerSource

A couple coaching resigns i'll post this week. A TON of Coaching openings I'll get to it....

but what do we think about Cummings leaving Thomas More? Any news on what he's pursuing now or more importantly.... where program is going to go? I imagine they find a Head Coach that competes regularly in the National Tournament.

cciw83

That is a real surprise about the Thomas More opening. I wonder if the administration will be willing to pay for an established coach.

Purplegatorade

Rumor has it administration may have been the reason for the vacancy and they probably will not be willing to pay.

Quote from: cciw83 on February 27, 2017, 06:19:22 PM
That is a real surprise about the Thomas More opening. I wonder if the administration will be willing to pay for an established coach.

DivisionIIISoccerSource

It really does seem odd... to keep individuals around at this level, you have to fork up a little to get the best. It's a shame really if this is true.

Quote from: Purplegatorade on February 28, 2017, 10:46:42 AM
Rumor has it administration may have been the reason for the vacancy and they probably will not be willing to pay.

Quote from: cciw83 on February 27, 2017, 06:19:22 PM

DivisionIIISoccerSource

UPDATE

Coaching Hires
Nichol: Karen Gurnon hired after serving at Newbury previous year.
Emory & Henry: McCallie Jones hired after serving as GA at Goucher.
UW-Superior: Allison DeGroot hired after serving as assistant coach at Augsburg.
Eastern Nazarene: George Arroyo hired after serving as Head Coach at Warner (FL).
Centenary (LA): Greg Cathell hired after serving as assistant at Siena.
McMurry: Charles Nobles hired.

Coaching Vacancies (Fires, Resigns, Unknowns)
Guilford College: Michael Shenigo apparently going elsewhere.
Thomas More: Jeff Cummings stepping away from soccer (so report says).
Newbury College: Karen Gurnon is going to Nichol College.
Rutgers University, Camden: Position open. Unsure of what happen.
University of New England: Heather Davis was promoted to administrative role.
Dickinson: Ted Zingman left for Dickinson last month.

Notes
Guilford Coach left apparently for Delaware; hasn't been announced yet.

Abitofeverything