2017 West Regional - Tyler, TX

Started by Westside, May 04, 2017, 12:54:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Parkman

Quote from: 108 Stitches on May 21, 2017, 08:58:49 PM

Congrats to them, the coaches and families. (as well as long time supporter and D3baseball contributor, Jack Parkman!)

Oh man, this has been a long time coming.  Can't wait to get to Wisconsin on Thursday!

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Jack Parkman on May 21, 2017, 09:30:43 PM
My observation from this years Regional tournament...

1. I think Tyler is a great facility but forgetting to tarp the field last night just can't happen.  TX weather can say 10% chances and that means 100%.

Gunter's 3-run HR is just a long fly ball to right field at Irwin Field! 

Ralph Turner

Doing a little 6th grade arithmetic on the Google Map satellite projection of Irwin Field, I calculate it is:

340 feet down the foul lines.
375 feet to the alleys in right and left center.
395 feet to straight away center.

Gunter's HR barely cleared the 361 distance at Mike Carter Field.

SoCalSoxFan

4. Huge congrats to Slim and the rest of the CLU staff, especially Coach Scherer (pitching coach) who is in his 18th season at Cal Lu and is going to his first CWS.  This guy works as hard as anyone in the country for this program and it's great to see him finally get the opportunity to go

JP, completely agree with Point #4 and comments regarding Scherer!

Jack Parkman

Quote from: Ralph Turner on May 21, 2017, 10:07:06 PM

1. I think Tyler is a great facility but forgetting to tarp the field last night just can't happen.  TX weather can say 10% chances and that means 100%.

You know, I never thought of that!  Thanks to UT Tyler for forgetting the tarp last night.

SoCalSoxFan

Quote from: Jack Parkman on May 21, 2017, 11:49:15 PM

You know, I never thought of that!  Thanks to UT Tyler for forgetting the tarp last night.

Thanks to the Rain, seems like there was Divine intervention for the Lutherans!!

Field dimensions aside, CLU had over 10 come from behind victories this year.  They know that trailing doesn't mean they have lost. 
They played in same field as a very strong CTX team and beat them on the field.  And also went 4-0 in the West Region!

TexasBB

Congrats to both Cal Lutheran in winning and to CTX in making it to the regional finals!!

UTT needs to figure out how to win a regional. They had a real good team this year but like past years have flopped in the regionals. Not sure what it is but their regional record is very poor. They had a bunch of gut it out wins to take the ASC. Their battle through the losers bracket in the blue division ASC playoff to beat CTX twice and extra inning victories against ETBU last week made it appear that they were on a roll. But they basically did not show up at their home field against a field of teams they should have done well against.  Hopefully they will figure it out. Could be they put too much pressure on themselves. This field of teams at the regional was very balanced so who ever got hot at the right time had the advantage. Could be that UTT was burned out by the grueling ASC tournament.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: SoCalSoxFan on May 22, 2017, 12:00:35 AM

Thanks to the Rain, seems like there was Divine intervention for the Lutherans!!

Field dimensions aside, CLU had over 10 come from behind victories this year.  They know that trailing doesn't mean they have lost. 
They played in same field as a very strong CTX team and beat them on the field.  And also went 4-0 in the West Region!
I think that that might be inferred as denominational preference.

As I understand it,

Cal Lu in ELCA
CTX is Missouri Synod.

:)

SoCalSoxFan

Quote from: Ralph Turner on May 22, 2017, 10:05:21 AM
Quote from: SoCalSoxFan on May 22, 2017, 12:00:35 AM

I think that that might be inferred as denominational preference.

As I understand it,

Cal Lu in ELCA
CTX is Missouri Synod.

:)
;D ;D

If it was Concordia Texas Synods or Concordia Texas Lutherans...  then it would've balanced out.   Next year they should include their Denomination in their name to avoid "preference".    ;) ;)

;D ;D

108 Stitches

Quote from: TexasBB on May 22, 2017, 09:38:40 AM
This field of teams at the regional was very balanced so who ever got hot at the right time had the advantage. Could be that UTT was burned out by the grueling ASC tournament.

I agree there were balanced teams this year, but I did not see a team like the previous Linfield, Chapman, or Trinity teams. (or even UWSP from a couple of years ago) They now get to take over the mantle of "best program in the West to not get to a CWS" from Trinity. As Trinity can attest, it is tough getting through a West Regional.

Thinking back on the UTT teams my son played against, I don't recall them ever having a pitcher that we feared like some from Chapman, Linfield, Whitworth, CLU, and some others. Maybe there is something there, but we never really feared going up against UTT.  Personally I think it had something to do with their horrible choice of uniforms, its hard to take a team seriously when they look they way they did sometimes. ;D

It might also be coaching also, the scrappy teams I always remember were Linfield, Chapman (old coach), SWU, TLU, CTX, Millsaps, Hendrix (coach now at SWU). Those teams we always knew could come back on us, even when we were supposedly in control in a tight game.   

Jack, enjoy the beer, cheese curds, and make sure you get back in town for fried fish Friday! (plan putting on 5 lbs!)

108 Stitches

One last post in the West before I switch over to the CWS thread.

It looks like CLU has a favorable draw, but as always you can not look ahead and just win the first game in front of you. They are lucky that they did not put a West team at the 10:00AM slot, but the downside for a 7:45PM start is that they very rarely start on time and you can end up playing at 10:00PM.

Best of luck to CLU in representing the West.

SoCalSoxFan

Quote from: 108 Stitches on May 23, 2017, 12:30:10 PM
One last post in the West before I switch over to the CWS thread.

It looks like CLU has a favorable draw, but as always you can not look ahead and just win the first game in front of you. They are lucky that they did not put a West team at the 10:00AM slot, but the downside for a 7:45PM start is that they very rarely start on time and you can end up playing at 10:00PM.

Best of luck to CLU in representing the West.

Mr. 108, where is the CWS thread located? 

Just_Some_Guy

Quote from: 108 Stitches on May 22, 2017, 11:46:42 AM
Quote from: TexasBB on May 22, 2017, 09:38:40 AM
This field of teams at the regional was very balanced so who ever got hot at the right time had the advantage. Could be that UTT was burned out by the grueling ASC tournament.

Thinking back on the UTT teams my son played against, I don't recall them ever having a pitcher that we feared like some from Chapman, Linfield, Whitworth, CLU, and some others. Maybe there is something there, but we never really feared going up against UTT.  Personally I think it had something to do with their horrible choice of uniforms, its hard to take a team seriously when they look they way they did sometimes. ;D

It might also be coaching also, the scrappy teams I always remember were Linfield, Chapman (old coach), SWU, TLU, CTX, Millsaps, Hendrix (coach now at SWU). Those teams we always knew could come back on us, even when we were supposedly in control in a tight game.   

re: UTT pitching Campbell, Booher, Holland was a fierce threesome in '07. The latter 2 were underclassmen. Not scared to face, mind you, but 3 very good D3 arms.

Nate Jennings (St. Ed's transfer, I believe) was as unhittable as I've seen in D3 that year. Had a brief stint with the Blue Jays.

Yacko (Chapman) probably had best sheer stuff I saw in person.

JSG