WBB: New Jersey Athletic Conference

Started by luvleeballa21, November 11, 2004, 10:24:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Dougherty aka Knightstalker

Latrice McNair from NJCU is on the team of the week, as is Mark Washington from the NJCU mens team.

I would like to have seen Latrice McNair make All-American, she led the nation in steals but probably has to improve offensively some, plus she is only a soph.  Good job by the Knight Women this season, best season I can remember you having.

A little bit of coaching news (rumor) from NJCU.  Last night I found out that Alice DeFazio has stepped down as the Womens Basketball coach at NJCU and assistant Ashante Timoll will be taking over the program.  I consider the source reliable in this as he is an assistant coach of the womens team.  I have no other details at this time, perhaps an inquiry can be made.

It is official, Ashante Timoll has been named the new NJCU womens basketball coach.  Hopefully this is a step in the right direction.
http://www.nj.com/sports/jjournal/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1122628408201950.xml&coll=3"> Timoll

Knightstalker

Just got back from Glassboro, saw the NJCU men and women sweep an NJAC double header from the Profs.

"In the end we will survive rather than perish not because we accumulate comfort and luxury but because we accumulate wisdom"  Colonel Jack Jacobs US Army (Ret).

njacfan

njacfan

NJAC Player of Week for Week Ending 12-04-05. Who selects the Player of the Week? Alicia Morris from Stockton dominated William Paterson and controlled the boards against TCNJ. Stockton defeated both opponents (whom are selected #1 and #3 in preseason poll!), and NJCU goes 1-1, beating an average at best, Rowan team. I understand its NJCU's first win in Glassboro in decades, but come on people, Morris deserved this week's selection... Individual stats are a huge part of the selection, but points isn't everything. You can;t score without the ball, and Morris crushed both Paterson and TCNJ on the glass. She had five steals and 19 points against Paterson.

njacfan

They should rename the award to the NJAC High Scorer of the Week !

Knightstalker

For last week:
Goodman against RU-N:
16 pts, 13 board and 4 assists no steals.
against Rowan:
22 points, 6 boards and 3 assists and 2 steals
Avg for the week
19 points, 9.5 boards, 3.5 assists and 1 steal

Morris:
Against WPU (probably not as good as Rowan)
19 points, 17 boards, 1 assist and 5 steals
Against TCNJ
4 points, 13 boards, 3 assists and 3 steals
Avg for the Week
11.5 points, 15 boards, 2 assists and 4 steals.

When I look at this I see Goodman having a better overall week even though the team split the games.

"In the end we will survive rather than perish not because we accumulate comfort and luxury but because we accumulate wisdom"  Colonel Jack Jacobs US Army (Ret).

njacfan

I'm not arguing that Goodman did not have a solid week. However, your posting that Rowan is better that William Paterson is ridiculous. People in Glassboro are claiming that this years team is the worst since the early/mid 1980's. Paterson is by far a better team, and was picked third in the NJAC pre-season poll. You are also forgetting that Stockton beat pre-season #1 TCNJ in Ewing. Let's face it, Goodman scored more points and that was why she got the votes. NJCU goes 1-1, losing to Newark. Stockton goes 2-0, and from what Ive heard, Morris domintated both opponents inside....

Knightstalker

So rebounds are more important than points.  Goodman scored more points and had more assists.  Morris had more rebounds and more steals.  Both were even or seperated by one for turnovers so I did not include that stat.  Player of the week doesn't always go to a player from a team that wins all games.  I have seen the NJAC player of the week from a team that lost two games in a week.  Again both players had comparable weeks.

PostingUp

what's your take on the best and worst coaches of the conference??

whateve32

I think you better watch out for montlair; beth o'boyle is doing good things and her players are playing hard for her.
Stockton and TCNJ will be formiddable oppenents through the season, but montclair will be building a program to contend with.

njacfan

Richard Stockton senior forward Lisa Zak was named this week's NJAC player of the week. Zak scored 22 points and had 14 rebounds in Stockton's 78-53 road win over Matymount University on Sat. December 17th. Zak is 4th in the NJAC in scoring, averaging 14.6 ppg. Stockton is atop the NJAC with a 9-0 overall record, and 5-0 in the NJAC.

Kean freshman Melissa Beyruti was named this weeks NJAC Rookie of the week. She averaged 14.5 points and 4.5 steals in two games, wins over York (NY) and Hunter. Beyruti currently ranks third in the NJAC in scoring with a 14.7 average. Kean is 8-1 overall and 4-1 in the NJAC (only loss to Richard Stockton).

njacfan

Richard Stockton is ranked 23rd in the nation in the week 4 poll. Nice to see a NJAC team get some early recognition.