D3 Football on Fox and ESPN3

Started by Captain Bob, October 01, 2011, 12:24:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FCGrizzliesGrad

Both telecasts said ESPNU on them I believe. Does anyone know if the game was possibly shown on tv there or if they put that simply because it was a college game?
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

K-Mack

Quote from: FCGrizzliesGrad on December 10, 2012, 07:37:39 PM
Both telecasts said ESPNU on them I believe. Does anyone know if the game was possibly shown on tv there or if they put that simply because it was a college game?

It was broadcast live on ESPN3, but will ultimately be re-telecast on ESPNU on Thursday and Friday at 1 p.m. I assume that's why the breaks were left in there, so that when it airs on TV, they'll know where to stick the commercials.

The main purpose of ESPN even being there, IMO, is to gather footage and knowledge for the Stagg Bowl telecast. They are trying to be the online home for everything with ESPN3/Watch, as there were I-AA and II playoffs, and high school championships on the same day.

It's an admirable goal, but as we discussed in the podcast last week and on Twitter, for D-III fans accustomed to the game without TV breaks and without hoops to jump through when watching online or on a smartphone, it's actually a step backward.

Still it's cool to get the full TV treatment, and the Stagg Bowl is done live, uses replay, etc. so it's a big deal to the teams and players.
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

Desertraider

Any idea who is calling the Stagg for ESPN? I know it won't be Pam Ward (awww too bad!) but have not seen a listing yet. Also, who is doing the officiating? In the quarters and semis the officiating was not bad - they seemed to let the players play (a few calls from the NCAC crew in the quarters were still a bit questionable). I just hope the guys let the teams play and don't get flag happy.
RIP MUC57 - Go Everybody!
National Champions: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017
The Autumn Wind is a Raider!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzEYK_XjyLg
Immaculate Prevention: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZLq_acsVN0

Kira & Jaxon's Dad

Quote from: desertraider on December 10, 2012, 07:56:34 PM
Any idea who is calling the Stagg for ESPN? I know it won't be Pam Ward (awww too bad!) but have not seen a listing yet. Also, who is doing the officiating? In the quarters and semis the officiating was not bad - they seemed to let the players play (a few calls from the NCAC crew in the quarters were still a bit questionable). I just hope the guys let the teams play and don't get flag happy.

Keith Tweeted this yesterday:
Quote#StaggBowl crew from #ESPN - Anish Shroff (pxp), Dan Hawkins (color), Allison Williams (sideline) #d3fb
National Champions - 13: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017

K-Mack

Quote from: Kira & Jaxon's Dad on December 10, 2012, 08:03:52 PM

Quote#StaggBowl crew from #ESPN - Anish Shroff (pxp), Dan Hawkins (color), Allison Williams (sideline) #d3fb

That was an RT of a tweet from the Purple Raiders athletic dept., in the interest of full disclosure, but I was the one who pointed out Anish is on Twitter and interacting with us this week, so if you want to help him get some insight that will potentially improve the broadcast, it's @AnishESPN.

As you know, we'll be broadcasting over the web as well, with our usual hyperfocused-on-D3 level of insight. Pat has seen twenty-hundred St. Thomas games the past few seasons, so he knows that team inside out. I have seen parts of a bunch of UMU games and will rewatch UMHB-UMU before airtime, but I'm prone to comparing Kevin Burke to the wrong QBs in Mount Union history, so you might want to temper your expectations when you tune in :)
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

Desertraider

Quote from: K-Mack on December 10, 2012, 08:44:15 PM

That was an RT of a tweet from the Purple Raiders athletic dept., in the interest of full disclosure, but I was the one who pointed out Anish is on Twitter and interacting with us this week, so if you want to help him get some insight that will potentially improve the broadcast, it's @AnishESPN.

As you know, we'll be broadcasting over the web as well, with our usual hyperfocused-on-D3 level of insight. Pat has seen twenty-hundred St. Thomas games the past few seasons, so he knows that team inside out. I have seen parts of a bunch of UMU games and will rewatch UMHB-UMU before airtime, but I'm prone to comparing Kevin Burke to the wrong QBs in Mount Union history, so you might want to temper your expectations when you tune in :)

I have never heard of Anish Shroff - but I am assuming that Dan Hawkins in the former coach at Colorado/Boise State. I will further assume they are better than Pam Ward (can't be worse). Oh well. The only Mount QB to compare Burke to is a Micheli/Borchert/Adamson/Ballard/Smeck/Jorris/Bruney smoothie. If you took em all and put em in a blender.....you get Kevin Burke ;D. Even Mount fans can't agree on who he compares to (we all have our favorites) so maybe all of them will make the majority happy.
RIP MUC57 - Go Everybody!
National Champions: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017
The Autumn Wind is a Raider!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzEYK_XjyLg
Immaculate Prevention: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZLq_acsVN0

hickory_cornhusker

Does anyone else find it odd that St. Thomas all of a sudden turns into a national powerhouse in football and men's basketball around the same time Pat moves to Minnesota?

Pat Coleman

It sure saves D3sports.com a lot of money in travel come playoff time.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

ITH radio

Well, there was that $50MM+ athletic fundraising effort that probably helped UST a bit...

The school is a relative steal as well as far as privates go, only ~33k/yr.  Makes a compelling situation for MW kids looking to go "to the big city" and play at a high level.
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

HScoach

Darn.  I was hoping it was Pam again so we could break our our 12 man defense. ::)  That would really improve our chances tomorrow night.
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

HScoach

That's what happens when you don't ask The Man for info...... ;D
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

Pat Coleman

The best part was how The Man listened to it in multiple podcasts before saying something. If it was a big enough deal for you and Ric to be snarky about it in Week 12 or 13, I wonder why nobody mentioned it in Week 5 or 6.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

AO

Quote from: ITH radio on December 12, 2012, 03:42:27 PM
Well, there was that $50MM+ athletic fundraising effort that probably helped UST a bit...

The school is a relative steal as well as far as privates go, only ~33k/yr.  Makes a compelling situation for MW kids looking to go "to the big city" and play at a high level.
I think you mean $500 Million.

Quote from: K-Mack on December 10, 2012, 07:48:24 PM
Quote from: FCGrizzliesGrad on December 10, 2012, 07:37:39 PM

It was broadcast live on ESPN3, but will ultimately be re-telecast on ESPNU on Thursday and Friday at 1 p.m. I assume that's why the breaks were left in there, so that when it airs on TV, they'll know where to stick the commercials.

The main purpose of ESPN even being there, IMO, is to gather footage and knowledge for the Stagg Bowl telecast. They are trying to be the online home for everything with ESPN3/Watch, as there were I-AA and II playoffs, and high school championships on the same day.

It's an admirable goal, but as we discussed in the podcast last week and on Twitter, for D-III fans accustomed to the game without TV breaks and without hoops to jump through when watching online or on a smartphone, it's actually a step backward.

Still it's cool to get the full TV treatment, and the Stagg Bowl is done live, uses replay, etc. so it's a big deal to the teams and players.
The only hoop to jump through was my ISP choosing to include ESPN3.  It's a huge step forward if you're watching on the TV through the XBOX with friends.  You can pause/rewind and skip the commercials and switch between the semi-final games with ease or even split-screen from the comfort of your couch.  If you've watched enough D3 football webcasts you know you might get Pat and Keith type broadcasters for some games, but sometimes you end up with student homers who know far less than the average viewer. 

Ron Boerger

Quote from: AO on December 14, 2012, 12:23:28 AM

Of which slightly over $50M was dedicated to athletics.

Half a billion dollars overall ... wow.

AO

Quote from: Ron Boerger on December 14, 2012, 10:18:20 AM
Quote from: AO on December 14, 2012, 12:23:28 AM

Of which slightly over $50M was dedicated to athletics.

Half a billion dollars overall ... wow.
That's just the new athletic building, they also have a new jumbotron for the football stadium and increased operating budgets for recruiting/etc.  Also helps athletic recruiting tremendously when you have an additional $150Million for financial aid.