BB: WIAC: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by BDB, December 30, 2005, 09:19:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

houdini

Quote from: cubs on April 17, 2018, 01:23:16 PM
If what I am hearing is accurate, there is a pair of kids from the same high school that will be heading to Arkansas in the Fall of 2019 to play baseball....  There was a time where I thought both would end up playing in the WIAC.
What, the Lechnir twins aren't going to Oshkosh, I'm shocked :o  If I was a kid with D1 talent, I wouldn't go D3 just because my dad was the coach.

BigPoppa

As I said before, the Razorbacks clean up in the Dairy State. Not sure why they seem to be the one constant presence... have others not learned from Norm DeBriyn?
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

BigSpotScott

Quote from: bleedpurple on April 08, 2018, 12:32:46 AM
Quote from: TitanDoubles on April 07, 2018, 11:23:59 PM
Quote from: badgerwarhawk on April 07, 2018, 07:25:24 PM
We haven't kept it a secret and have been doing it long enough that at the least the conference commissioner should know about it.  I don't know the rules that well but I'm doubting your understanding.  We simply purchased advertising from Fox Sports.  I suspect Oshkosh could do the same.

WARHAWKS take two ten run rule shortened games with Stout 14-4, 11-1 today.  Bryden goes 4x5 with 4 RBIs and Jones gets 8Ks and the win in game one.  Rentz allows 4 hits and strikes out 6 while Sontoro gets 3 hits and a pair of RBI in game two.   

A balmy 33 was the best it got today.  Two more tomorrow.
It's a violation. You can't recruit athletes via advertisements on TV. If you could I guarantee you would see every D1 school doing it. Especially something like UW-Milwaukee basketball.
I'd be interested in knowing how you are going to stand behind your guarantee. Or are those empty words? It is absolutely not a violation. Is UW-W ahead of the curve on this? Yes. As usual. There are restrictions on current student athletes' roles in advertisements. That's why former athletes are participating. it would be great if you would produce the rule being violated or admit you are wrong. I predict you will do neither.

I ran across this thread and found this very interesting. What raised my suspicion is that in the hundreds of ads I've seen for colleges on ESPN, BTN, etc. during college sports games, not once have I seen highlights of sports and/or mention of national championships and athletics. When athletes are featured, they talk about academics. The ads are truly to get people to go to the colleges as students, not student-athletes.

That brought me to this website:
https://web3.ncaa.org/lsdbi/search/bylawView?id=103405#result
Specifically, 13.4.2.1
"The publication of advertising or promotional material, by or on behalf of a member institution, designed to solicit the enrollment of a prospective student-athlete is not permitted."

Now, for those of you who attended UWW, "permitted" is another word for "allowed". So unless you truly believe that UWW showing highlight after highlight, and having former players and current coaches talk about winning national championships is somehow NOT targeted at prospective student-athletes, then I guess UWW is in the clear. However, I think people who don't "bleed purple" would find this highly suspicious if not illegal.

02 Warhawk

Quote from: BigSpotScott on April 25, 2018, 11:05:09 PM
We haven't kept it a secret and have been doing it long enough that at the least the conference commissioner should know about it.  I don't know the rules that well but I'm doubting your understanding.  We simply purchased advertising from Fox Sports.  I suspect Oshkosh could do the same.

WARHAWKS take two ten run rule shortened games with Stout 14-4, 11-1 today.  Bryden goes 4x5 with 4 RBIs and Jones gets 8Ks and the win in game one.  Rentz allows 4 hits and strikes out 6 while Sontoro gets 3 hits and a pair of RBI in game two.   

It's a violation. You can't recruit athletes via advertisements on TV. If you could I guarantee you would see every D1 school doing it. Especially something like UW-Milwaukee basketball.
I'd be interested in knowing how you are going to stand behind your guarantee. Or are those empty words? It is absolutely not a violation. Is UW-W ahead of the curve on this? Yes. As usual. There are restrictions on current student athletes' roles in advertisements. That's why former athletes are participating. it would be great if you would produce the rule being violated or admit you are wrong. I predict you will do neither.

I ran across this thread and found this very interesting. What raised my suspicion is that in the hundreds of ads I've seen for colleges on ESPN, BTN, etc. during college sports games, not once have I seen highlights of sports and/or mention of national championships and athletics. When athletes are featured, they talk about academics. The ads are truly to get people to go to the colleges as students, not student-athletes.

Specifically, 13.4.2.1
"The publication of advertising or promotional material, by or on behalf of a member institution, designed to solicit the enrollment of a prospective student-athlete is not permitted."

Now, for those of you who attended UWW, "permitted" is another word for "allowed". So unless you truly believe that UWW showing highlight after highlight, and having former players and current coaches talk about winning national championships is somehow NOT targeted at prospective student-athletes, then I guess UWW is in the clear. However, I think people who don't "bleed purple" would find this highly suspicious if not illegal.

Obviously the NCAA and WIAC are fine with what UWW is doing, and that's all that matters. These ads have been running for years now and nothing has been declared "highly suspicious if not illegal" by anyone of importance. With the exception of some message board posters

badgerwarhawk

It’s a violation. You can’t recruit athletes via advertisements on TV. If you could I guarantee you would see every D1 school doing it. Especially something like UW-Milwaukee basketball.

I ran across this thread and found this very interesting. What raised my suspicion is that in the hundreds of ads I’ve seen for colleges on ESPN, BTN, etc. during college sports games, not once have I seen highlights of sports and/or mention of national championships and athletics. When athletes are featured, they talk about academics. The ads are truly to get people to go to the colleges as students, not student-athletes.

Specifically, 13.4.2.1
“The publication of advertising or promotional material, by or on behalf of a member institution, designed to solicit the enrollment of a prospective student-athlete is not permitted.”

Now, for those of you who attended UWW, “permitted” is another word for “allowed”. So unless you truly believe that UWW showing highlight after highlight, and having former players and current coaches talk about winning national championships is somehow NOT targeted at prospective student-athletes, then I guess UWW is in the clear. However, I think people who don’t “bleed purple” would find this highly suspicious if not illegal.

For those of you who haven't attended UW-W KMA is another way to say kiss my ass. 

"Just think twice is my only advice."

Baseball Geek

Quote from: badgerwarhawk on April 26, 2018, 09:48:43 AM

Specifically, 13.4.2.1

For those of you who haven't attended UW-W KMA is another way to say kiss my ass.

;D

And since obviously the governing bodies have no issue with the practice, one has to wonder why other WIAC programs aren't sharing their many accomplishments and storied histories through advertising, as well ...

Baseball Geek

Was anyone at the UWW-UWO games yesterday? I have heard about how game two concluded and the video is circulating on social media. Would be interested in first-hand perspective.

badgerwarhawk

The WARHAWKS split yesterday's twin bill with the Titans losing the first game 5-1 and winning the mercy rule shortened second game 11-1.  Jones took the loss in game one allowing 7 hits and 3 runs (1 earned) over 7 innings while striking out 11.  Aeillo drove in our only run with a double in the eighth.  Our defense struggled committing 5 errors.  Tremel was tough throwing a complete game 3 hitter with 7 Ks.  He was pretty much in control the whole way.  Game two was a different story as the WARHAWKS hit Gregory hard taking a 6-1 lead after 5 innings and putting the game away with a 5 run 6th off his reliever.  Kaska picked up his 6th win of the season limiting the Titans to 2 hits and a single unearned run in 5 innings.  Rentz relieved with 2 scoreless innings.  Szubert had 3 hits with a pair of RBI and Wary had 3 RBI with a pair of hits.  Bryden, Aldridge, Santoro and Aeillo also had RBI. 

In other games La Crosse and Platteville combined for 51 runs with the Eagles taking both games 16-12 and 12-11. In what seems to be a head scratcher Stout took a pair from Point 5-2 and 4-3. 

I haven't seen the video but in real time it appeared Aeillo had the ball and was in the base path.  By rule Ott was required to slide.  He made absolutely no attempt to do so.  I have no idea and can't speak to what was going through his mind but it was clear by his actions that his intent was to take Aeillo out.  It was unnecessary and he was ejected.  Aeillo did get up and walk away eventually.  Hopefully he'll be ok and ready to play this weekend in Platteville. 
"Just think twice is my only advice."

Just Bill

Quote from: Baseball Geek on April 26, 2018, 10:25:54 AM
Was anyone at the UWW-UWO games yesterday? I have heard about how game two concluded and the video is circulating on social media. Would be interested in first-hand perspective.

Oh don't leave it hanging. Share a link!
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

Baseball Geek

Quote from: Just Bill on April 26, 2018, 12:05:11 PM
Quote from: Baseball Geek on April 26, 2018, 10:25:54 AM

Oh don't leave it hanging. Share a link!

It appears it may have been pulled down. If I find it again I will share it.

cubs

2008-09 and 2012-13 WIAC Fantasy League Champion

2008-09 WIAC Pick'Em Tri-Champion

02 Warhawk

Quote from: badgerwarhawk on April 26, 2018, 10:55:39 AM

I haven't seen the video but in real time it appeared Aeillo had the ball and was in the base path.  By rule Ott was required to slide.  He made absolutely no attempt to do so.  I have no idea and can't speak to what was going through his mind but it was clear by his actions that his intent was to take Aeillo out.  It was unnecessary and he was ejected.  Aeillo did get up and walk away eventually.  Hopefully he'll be ok and ready to play this weekend in Platteville.

Can't say I'm surprised.

Jack Parkman

Quote from: badgerwarhawk on April 26, 2018, 10:55:39 AM

Just curious if anyone else was ejected for leaving their position?  I saw a couple of UWW guys come sprinting in but no punches thrown.  Wondering if the umpires looked at that as a threat?  Also, those are my kind of guys, coming in hot after someone did that to a teammate.

bleedpurple

Specifically, 13.4.2.1

BigSpotScott,
Since I am used to hanging around UW-W guys, I recognize that you are probably the most intelligent human being I have ever attempted to communicate with, so I admit to being fairly intimidated as I try to construct sentences properly in this post. I know you will correct me, but I love learning, so being educated by a genius is an honor. You cite the following sentence:

Because of the use of the singular in referencing the student-athlete, it appears to me that this rule prohibits using promotional material to recruit "a prospective student-athlete" rather than student athletes in general.  If the NCAA wanted to ban all advertising, they certainly could have done so without the phrase "designed to solicit the enrollment of a prospective student-athlete".

So if a school is recruiting "Tommy Smith from DePere", they can't run an ad in the DePere Journal saying, "Tommy, the Titans love you and need you, please enroll at UW-0".  That would be advertising designed to solicit the enrollment of a prospective student-athlete.