BB: OAC: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, January 09, 2006, 11:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spence

Quote from: Dr. Acula on February 24, 2013, 09:40:27 PM
It's really too bad that BW is out because with those 5 plus the Jackets it could have been awesome to watch just the battle to even make the OAC tourney.

I should have mentioned them, obviously. Still have to play them in the regular season. They had some good talent last year. Don't know how much of it is back or what they've added.

Dr. Acula

Quote from: Spence on February 24, 2013, 09:50:20 PM
Quote from: Dr. Acula on February 24, 2013, 09:40:27 PM
It's really too bad that BW is out because with those 5 plus the Jackets it could have been awesome to watch just the battle to even make the OAC tourney.

I should have mentioned them, obviously. Still have to play them in the regular season. They had some good talent last year. Don't know how much of it is back or what they've added.

They have a ton back. Most importantly they have Havens back, but they also have their entire lineup back with the exception of Longhitano at SS. Yost is hurt, but they've just plugged in freshman Mark Zimmerman at 3b (who I whined that Mount didn't get because he is a very good player) and he's batting 2nd so Harrison must like him.  BW's issue is going to be do they have arms after Havens.  Either way they're going to be dangerous and as a UMU guy that DH will make me nervous.

EttaFan1

My issue with BW last year, and the gaudy numbers they seemed to accumulate, was the competition they faced to have those numbers. The interesting thing for their coach will be to keep the kids playing for "something" when there isn't a spot in the post season available. 

I had to chuckle about wanting to see the Marietta preview.  In year's past, there hasn't really been much written about guys who haven't made contributions at the Varsity level. Since there aren't many guys who had a lot of varsity action on the hill I don't know that we will read a whole lot.   

As I said before, Coach Castle will really earn his way this year. 

Can't get here soon enough!

Spence

Quote from: EttaFan1 on February 25, 2013, 11:41:28 AM
My issue with BW last year, and the gaudy numbers they seemed to accumulate, was the competition they faced to have those numbers. The interesting thing for their coach will be to keep the kids playing for "something" when there isn't a spot in the post season available. 

I had to chuckle about wanting to see the Marietta preview.  In year's past, there hasn't really been much written about guys who haven't made contributions at the Varsity level. Since there aren't many guys who had a lot of varsity action on the hill I don't know that we will read a whole lot.   

As I said before, Coach Castle will really earn his way this year. 

Can't get here soon enough!

Well they have 2 pitchers that have done much at the varsity level so I would expect at least some information, even if it's only what freshmen are expected to challenge for innings.

With time running as short as it is now, probably get better information out of the weekend assuming it's not snowed out.

EttaFan1

Mulvey will likely be the #1 starter to begin the season.  I have heard through the grapevine that Langdon has had some injury issues, and may not be ready at season's start.  So one pitcher with significant Varsity time, he was last year's #4.  Brockmeier has pitched some the past few seasons, and will likely see some time.  Thing with Brock is you are making the trade off between an outstanding defensive position player for an OK pitcher.   

Knittel and Bascom are the two young guys who saw some time last year.  Logan Smyth is another who will get some innings as well.  Freshman?  Anyone's guess right now.  The person I talked to said, there are some arms but not many who have earned the trust of the man in charge.  Saturday and Sunday will be a good early look into what is to come for the Pioneers.  Hopefully they can get some games in.  Long range forecast is flurries on Saturday and brutally cold both days (highs of 32!).  I will be content to watch those on my radio!

Spence

Quote from: EttaFan1 on February 26, 2013, 11:29:46 AM
Mulvey will likely be the #1 starter to begin the season.  I have heard through the grapevine that Langdon has had some injury issues, and may not be ready at season's start.  So one pitcher with significant Varsity time, he was last year's #4.  Brockmeier has pitched some the past few seasons, and will likely see some time.  Thing with Brock is you are making the trade off between an outstanding defensive position player for an OK pitcher.   

Knittel and Bascom are the two young guys who saw some time last year.  Logan Smyth is another who will get some innings as well.  Freshman?  Anyone's guess right now.  The person I talked to said, there are some arms but not many who have earned the trust of the man in charge.  Saturday and Sunday will be a good early look into what is to come for the Pioneers.  Hopefully they can get some games in.  Long range forecast is flurries on Saturday and brutally cold both days (highs of 32!).  I will be content to watch those on my radio!

Well hopefully the guys are ready...these aren't exhibition games! 4 games against solid in-region opponents.

Bishopleftiesdad

I know a freshman at ONU. I was looking at the roster and it has 50 young men on it. 24 are freshmen.
Is this unusual for ONU? Is it because a new coach is trying to revitalize the program?
I know they have a JV team that plays a pretty robust 21 game schedule.

EttaFan1

I can remember a time not too many years ago, when the Pioneer roster was that big....Not so much any more (32 kids: 10 Frosh, 12 Sophs, 3 Juniors, and 7 Seniors). 

If you are going to revive/revitalize a program, sometimes you need to bring in some new faces.  21 JV games seems like a significant number (Marietta has 17 JV games on the slate for 2013).

I would guess there will be a lot of turnover at some point, and most of those freshman won't still be on the squad as juniors or seniors. 

motorman

Quote from: EttaFan1 on February 26, 2013, 11:29:46 AM
Saturday and Sunday will be a good early look into what is to come for the Pioneers.  Hopefully they can get some games in.  Long range forecast is flurries on Saturday and brutally cold both days (highs of 32!).  I will be content to watch those on my radio!

We will be thinking about you guys up here while we are dealing with the heat in Florida. Berg finally got a couple of votes in this week's new poll, hope we show we deserve a lot more than 2.

EttaFan1

And just as we are ready to get going, the weather forecast kills the opening games for the weekend.  Now Marietta waits until March 10 when they arrive in Florida get things started. 

Spence

Quote from: EttaFan1 on February 27, 2013, 02:26:48 PM
And just as we are ready to get going, the weather forecast kills the opening games for the weekend.  Now Marietta waits until March 10 when they arrive in Florida get things started.

I didn't think the forecast for Friday and Saturday looked that bad, but maybe the field will be unplayable from today and tomorrow!

Bishopleftiesdad

Where they set to play in Xenia? Looking at the weather forecast it will be cold but I did not see rain or snow.

The fields in Xenia are all turf, I cannot imagine that they would get torn up due to the weather between today and Saturday.

Spence

Quote from: Bishopleftiesdad on February 27, 2013, 03:33:26 PM
Where they set to play in Xenia? Looking at the weather forecast it will be cold but I did not see rain or snow.

The fields in Xenia are all turf, I cannot imagine that they would get torn up due to the weather between today and Saturday.

Was supposed to be in Xenia, yes.

DP 6-4-3

Not supposed to be above 32 on Sat. Or Sun... Metal bats are unstable below 50..... Great call to cancel games.  I've seen metal bat explode and hurt players.

Dr. Acula

Hey bishop, I accidentally fat fingered my iPad and hit your karma. So you either got a deserved +k or I accidentally dinged you.  If I did I can fix it in 24 hrs it tells me.  Don't want you mistaking clumsy fingers for the OAC board telling you to zip it. Haha.