WBB: NESCAC

Started by Senator Frost, March 12, 2005, 09:18:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amh63

Nescac 1...thanks for the support of Coach G....will mention it the next time I see him...truly.  Come to think if it...he maybe at Salem.  He was at the MBB team dinner with his girlfriend in 2008...about the time he arrived at Amherst.  The first time I meet him.

I thought about the lack of Amherst representation on the list....but thinking about it, Coach G may have decided not to put anyone up.  Motivation purposes is my thinking.  If Megan Robertson return to form and the young players develop more...especially Boyette, I believe Amherst will reach the Final 4 next season.  As posted earlier, Amherst has a raw big front court player coming in next year.  Be interesting to see who also will arrive.  Would not be surprised with a transfer player even.

gordonmann

QuoteHonestly, it may have been his best coaching job in years, considering that after the Robertson injury, he had one player from last year's team who averaged over 5 ppg, and she only averaged 7 ppg, to work with.]Honestly, it may have been his best coaching job in years, considering that after the Robertson injury, he had one player from last year's team who averaged over 5 ppg, and she only averaged 7 ppg, to work with.   

My thoughts exactly.

If Amherst had made the Final Four and beat FDU-Florham next weekend, GP would've been my pick for National Coach of the Year, even if Amherst lost in the title game.

And I hope he comes to Stevens Point instead of Salem. :)

Roundball999

Quote from: nescac1 on March 18, 2014, 03:55:13 PM
But if you are dissatisfied, I guarantee you that every Division 3 program in the country would happily take him off your hands! 

Well I get it's hyperbole, and GP is no doubt a very fine coach, but there ARE some other very fine D3 coaches and some D3 programs that would not trade their coach for GP, thank you very much :)

That said, I agree that he did an exceptional job this year and the Jeffs did much better than one might expect given the youth and lack of interior strength sans Robertson.

Maine 1

I agree with several of the previous comments.  Gromacki did a great job with this year's team to get to the sweet 16 (although they had a good draw).  However, I have been saying for a few years now that he is one of the best Coachs I have seen at any level. 
On the year-end awards--my sense for a while now at D3, where many of the players are not seen widely, is that the awards generally go to the players on the Best team.  With all due respect to Kanter from Tufts, she wasn't even awarded the best player in her league (correctly went to the Trinity player). 

Hoopsinfo

To the writer who said that it was GP's great coaching that got his team to within 2 points of winning against the Ithaca Bombers, who then lost by 2 to the team that is now in the Final Four -  I disagree.   "They had no business being there" but for outstanding coaching?  That's an insult to the Amherst players.  I watched many of their games this year.  This young team played tough, hung in there and won - or kept games close -  even after losing their center (Robertson). That's what got them to the sweet 16. My view?  Amherst coach was outcoached in a number of games at the end of the season, esp against Ithaca -- I think Amherst was winning by 10 or so in the first half and (as other writers have said) this coach kept relying on 3 point shots that weren't falling despite some success under the basket.  And not using Zwecker at all in the second half of the game against Ithaca was a big mistake, I think.  This team needed leadership in overtime against Ithaca, and from what I could see - Coach G did not set the team up with a play in the last 20 secs.

Other programs may want Gromacki – I have no idea.  But it speaks very poorly for this coach if it's true that he didn't nominate any of his excellent players for the All Northeast region's four teams.  I can think of a few Amherst players who are statistical leaders in NESCAC who deserved this recognition (Doswell, Giddens, Zwecker among them), along with the players from Williams, Trinity, Bates and others whose coaches honored them for their hard work..... even if they did not make the Final Four.   Second in the NESCAC and Amherst girls missing from all of these teams is hardly motivational. 

gordonmann

QuoteBut it speaks very poorly for this coach if it's true that he didn't nominate any of his excellent players for the All Northeast region's four teams.

It's not true.

d3wbbfan

FDU-Florham (32-0) defeats Tufts (30-2) in the Final Four's first semi-final, 42-39. Michela North was the only Jumbo in double figures, with 13. Kyra Dayon was the only Devil in double figures, with 17. Can't remember the last game with a *total* of just two players in doubles. Foley didn't start, but did manage to play some limited minutes. Florham's quickness gave the Jumbos fits all game. For all 94 feet. Kanner especially. Just 2 points and 6 TO's for the region's MVP, in 28 minutes.

A fantastic season for Tufts, with still a consolation game to play against UW-Whitewater on Sat. Congratulations to Coach Berube, her staff, and a great bunch of hard-working student-athletes!

NE Jeffs Fan

From watching a few of them, that consolation game is the worst game in sport.  NO ONE wants to be there.  Congrats on a great year for Tufts, and play hard tomorrow.  3rd feels much better than 4th.

CasualFan2

Tufts did a very good job to get to where they did.  They could have won tonight with a bounce one way or the other.  They have continued to grow the program in an impressive manner, dethroned the multi year champ in Amherst, and went to the final four all in one season!  Pretty good work!

d3wbbfan

Tufts loses the consolation game to UW-Whitewater, 72-54, to finish (30-3), and fourth nationally. Don't have stats handy, but North had another solid game Saturday, and to me had by far the best two-game effort by a Jumbo player in Stevens Point. Kanner had a nice bounce-back Saturday effort, and Morehead was her usual solid self. The team was in good spirits throughout, and was rightly enjoying the spoils of making it all the way to the Final Four. Great attitude. Congrats to the three seniors, and here's hoping that this year's stellar junior class can build on this experience, and make another run at it next season!

amh63

Gordonmann...great work at the WBB final 4.  Did finally get to see a little of the title game.  Surprised to see the final score of the title game....based on the first 10 minutes of the game.  Nice to see a newcomer win the title...especially one that turned its program around so quickly.  In a way, it is like the way that the Amherst program was turned around by Coach G  in a short time.  Now when Amherst 's does not make it to the Final 4, it is somewhat surprising. 
For those posters who see fault with Amherst's present coach, lighten up a little. I too would have liked to see more of my favorite  player on the floor in the  Ithaca game...but remember this year's team was a very young team.  Seeing the teams in the final 4 play, Amherst would not have been competitive with them, IMO.

I am looking forward to next season...where I expect to see several conference teams in the Final 4 :)

ronk

Quote from: amh63 on March 23, 2014, 02:37:14 PM
Gordonmann...great work at the WBB final 4.  Did finally get to see a little of the title game.  Surprised to see the final score of the title game....based on the first 10 minutes of the game.  Nice to see a newcomer win the title...especially one that turned its program around so quickly.  In a way, it is like the way that the Amherst program was turned around by Coach G  in a short time.  Now when Amherst 's does not make it to the Final 4, it is somewhat surprising. 
For those posters who see fault with Amherst's present coach, lighten up a little. I too would have liked to see more of my favorite  player on the floor in the  Ithaca game...but remember this year's team was a very young team.  Seeing the teams in the final 4 play, Amherst would not have been competitive with them, IMO.

I am looking forward to next season...where I expect to see several conference teams in the Final 4 :)

Looks like a crowded Final 4 with your several NESCAC teams, FDU, Montclair, Scranton, Thomas More; hardly any room for the Midwest or West. ;)

gordonmann

Amh63:

Thanks.  Tufts will be very good next year and so will Amherst with Robertson back.  Ronk is probably kidding but he's right in that this region has several teams who look like national title contenders including Montclair and of course FDU-Florham. Scranton is poised to make another deep run too as their young players develop.  It should be fun.

amh63

FYs and transfers arrived today. Seems that Amherst had brought in a class of five players.  Aware of one from the D.C. Area...not the others.  Hope all of last year's team return healthy well rested.

ronk

Tufts and Scranton will be meeting in Puerto Rico over Christmas break so we'll get a good idea of their relative strength.