BB: SAA: Southern Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, April 29, 2012, 07:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donotknowscac

3 game suspension is a joke, but at least it got this board working.  Especially for a guy that had thrown as few innings as he had.

I've been surprised by the lack of publicity by the SAA.

I've almost given up trying to find info about the new league.  Either the teams are not wanting to send info or they have no one trying to collect info.   
The pre season analysis was sad, with some teams not responding to the questionnaire.

Oh well, the SCAC was a really good conference.  Don't know how long it will take for the new conference to get going.  Maybe the SCAC had growing pains too in the beginning.

Bob_Lotts

I know this is late but SAA stepped in and gave the kid 8 games. So, he missed nearly a quarter of the season. I don't think he's pitched very much since that incident however.

OshDude

Anyone know why the SAA played its tourney with nontraditional matchups?
1 vs. 8 and 2 vs. 7 are standard.
But I don't think I've seen 3 vs. 5 and 4 vs. 6 before.

I don't dislike it.

historymajor

Congrats to Coach Page and the Millsaps Majors, after all those years battling Trinity in the SCAC, to make it to Appleton from the SAA is pretty special!

BatDoughnut

Quote from: historymajor on May 19, 2013, 12:55:33 PM
Congrats to Coach Page and the Millsaps Majors, after all those years battling Trinity in the SCAC, to make it to Appleton from the SAA is pretty special!
100% agree! They played their collective butts off this weekend. This was a total TEAM effort. Good luck to them in Appleton!

Bishopleftiesdad

Congratulations to Jacob Perschke, he pitched 5 very good innings against the So. Ohio Copperheads in the Great Lakes league the other night. Going 5 innings with a 1.80 ERA. He struck out 7 batters.

http://greatlakes.bbstats.pointstreak.com/player.html?playerid=445226

Bishopleftiesdad

Jacob Perschke has his second start of the season tonight against the Xenia Scouts. Listen Live here:
http://www.teamline.cc/sportpage?teamcode=5789&eventcode=5

Bishopleftiesdad

Jacob Perschke, playing in the Great Lakes Summer Collegiate League, invited to participate in the player showcase prior to the All-Star game.

https://www.facebook.com/LCSettlers?fref=ts

LynxCat39

SAA Board is dead, maybe I can change that. Very recent Rhodes graduate and ex-player here. I'll try to be keeping up with the SAA as much as possible (mainly the Lynx, obviously), and I'll be traveling down to Huntingdon tonight to see the season opener between Rhodes and Huntingdon.

Let's get this thing alive and kicking!

Bishopleftiesdad

I know a UA (upper Arlington, Mine and my sons alma mater) grad who recently finished his Playing time at Rhodes. 2012 grad Jack Clark. He started his carreer with case and transferred to Rhodes. I always respected their program.

LynxCat39

Quote from: Bishopleftiesdad on February 07, 2014, 12:16:43 PM
I know a UA (upper Arlington, Mine and my sons alma mater) grad who recently finished his Playing time at Rhodes. 2012 grad Jack Clark. He started his carreer with case and transferred to Rhodes. I always respected their program.

Jack is actually one of my good friends, and fraternity brothers as well. He's actually at Ohio State law school now. Small world right?

Bishopleftiesdad

Yup sure is. Baseball even makes it smaller. I am looking forward to your posts this year.

LynxCat39

Just got back from the game down in Montgomery. Rhodes wins 4-3 in a cold, sloppy game. Huntingdon took the lead 1-0 in the first inning after 2 ground outs, followed by two consecutive dropped third strikes where both batters made it to second on each one, with the inning ending on a 3rd strikeout. Rhodes took the lead scoring single runs in the next few innings, and Huntingdon tied it up 3-3 on a bloop single with the bases loaded and 2 outs off the relief pitcher Thomas Beamish. RS Freshman SS Bill Munson drove in the game winning run after a leadoff single, steal, and sac bunt to advance the runner. Here's my impressions (after one game, so take with a grain of salt) on both teams:

First, Rhodes, since I am more familiar with them. It appears as if once again Rhodes' backbone will be a solid pitching staff, led by a core of young arms and upper classmen relief pitchers. So. LHP Blake Glauben pitched a solid game tonight until he had to be taken out of the game with the bases loaded. RP Thomas Beamish picked up the win after giving up the 2 run single.

Rhodes offensively will be more of a station-to-station team, with a decent amount of team speed on the bases. Only sources of a real home run threat look to be Sr. Pat Kilkenny and Jr. Andrew Wallis.

Player to watch: Bill Munson. Absolute defensive machine at short with a very good arm, and was batting .357 and leading the conference in doubles last season before getting injured and redshirted.

Huntingdon: After losing 15 seniors last year and 2 other players as well, it looks as if Huntingdon is a VERY young team, returning only one starter from last year, and it showed both on the mound and in the field. Pitchers were struggling to throw strikes all night (could be attributed to southerners playing ~40 degree weather and early season jitters though), and made a couple costly errors fielding and throwing. Offensively, they were shut down, and if the box score from their first game is correct, they have been held to only 8 hits in their first 18 innings of play, with little to no solid contact against Rhodes tonight. Huntingdon also had two runners thrown out at second base attempting to steal in tonight's game.

I'll be at the Rhodes v. Randolph-Macon game tomorrow at 1, and will report back after that as well.

LynxCat39

Rhodes Lynx drop the game to Randolph-Macon 9-2, in an overall sloppy performance by Rhodes.

The story of the day for the Lynx was walks and errors. The pitching staff struggled to throw strikes, and Randolph-Macon took advantage of this, scoring most of their runs as a result of runners who reached off walks. Also, in the big innings by Randolph-Macon, the Jackets were aided by a slew of Rhodes errors, coming from dropped balls in the outfield, and an overthrow in the infield. There were, however, bright spots for the Lynx. Relief pitchers Max Halasz and Josh Olejnik performed well, after starting pitcher Daniel Morris was bounced after two innings.

Offensively, Rhodes scattered 10 hits, but most came with either no one on base or late in innings where no damage could be done. The few times Rhodes did get runners on early in innings, they shot themselves in the foot with base-running errors and double plays. Senior catcher Josh Goodwin had two hits, including a double, also hitting doubles were senior outfield Pat Kilkenny and freshman 3B James Quattrocchi.

The Lynx take on 2013 CWS runner-up and conference foe (in a non-conference game) Millsaps tomorrow at 1pm.

LynxCat39

Rhodes gets walloped by Millsaps today 16-6. The box score was very indicative of the game. Millsaps, the usual offensive juggernaut, got their bats hot, and scored 16 runs on 17 hits, combined with 4 Rhodes errors. 4 pitchers threw for Rhodes today. Offensively, Rhodes started to show signs of life, scoring 6 runs on 6 hits and taking advantage of two Millsaps errors. Before the game was completely out of reach, Rhodes had the bases loaded and could not capitalize. Rhodes OF Walker McWherter and Justin Genter were the bright spots offensively for the Lynx: McWherter with a 3 run home run, Genter with 3 hits on the day.

Millsaps SP Daniel Ross goes 5 2/3 giving up 2 ER, while striking out 8. The Majors had 6 players with multiple hits.

Rhodes is off until next weekend when they travel to Fayetteville, North Carolina, to take on Methodist, Christopher Newport, and Lynchburg.

Millsaps has a midweek game against Belmont, and then hosts old SCAC foe Trinity for a 3-game set over the weekend.