BB: SCIAC: Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, December 31, 2005, 09:33:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

Here is the new SCIAC baseball message board.

If you would like to volunteer to help us with this conference's message board, please contact either me or Pat Coleman.

We will need someone to post the respective members baseball hyperlinks and to keep them current.  I will discuss the other aspects of being a volunteer offline.

Thanks.

Tezbaseball

The great blessing of mankind are within us and within our reach; but we shut our eyes, and like people in the dark, we fall foul upon the very thing we search for, without finding it

Tom Brady

This is great! Another way for us to discuss, aka- disagree, about SCIAC sports.  How do we get more peole to join this board?  Season gets underway pretty soon...

Pat Coleman

Word of mouth, man. Are you near or on campus? Let the baseball fans know.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Gray Fox

In recent years, several times Cal Tech has had to drop out of the official championship race because they didn't have enough pitchers to play all the games.  Will that happen again this year?
Fierce When Roused

Tom Brady

I'll tell you whats going to happen this year Gray Fox....the Techsters are going to show the rest of the SCIAC what Cal Tech is all about.  They will win the SCIAC title on the last day of the season sending shock waves throughout D-III Baseball :D

Gray Fox

That would be bigger than the Red Sox overcoming the "curse of the Bambino"! :P

Is Oxy overcoming the internal problems it has had in recent years?

Why isn't CLU in the top 25?  Has their program slipped?
Fierce When Roused

Tom Brady

Gray Fox-  Not too sure if OXY has overcome whatever problems they had.  I know they have been pretty bad in the past few years so it would be nice to see OXY take some of that football magic and build a stronger program.
As far as CLU, it seems to me that they have slipped a little bit but it is a new year so who knows what will happen.  They have finished second the past few years so I would hardly say that they are slipping too much.  Pre-season rankings mean about as much to me as the BCS rankings.  I think I saw LaVerne in the top 10 which is a little weird to me.  They lost their best pitcher from last year (Scott Lindene) and they really didn't have a whole lot more.  WHo knows what will happen. 
Should be a great year on the diamond for the SCIAC...I just wish more people would come on here and discuss.

Tom Brady

Hmmmm, not too sure if anyone is still out there....anyways, the season is about to begin and I have one question about CLU.  I was driving through Thousand Oaks the other day and took a little detour by the campus to check on the new facilities they are building.  Gym looks great, baseball field is really nice, but there is nothing but the field.  No dugouts, stands, press box, concrete, anything!  Do they expect to play there or are they playing somewhere else??

ScrappyMcTavish

I was talking with one of OXY's baseball coaches last year and he told me that one of the reasons they have slipped a bit is that the school has raised their academic requirements considerably from years past.(Don't know why it affects baseball and not football) This fact has kept many potential players out of Oxy and pushed them to other schools in the area... Laverne, Cal Lutheran, Chapman, etc.

It is a great place to play though. Oxy and Pomona-Pitzer have loud and VERY loyal fans that constantly ride the opposing players. I loved coaching against them in my coaching career at a NAIA school.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: ScrappyMcTavish on January 10, 2006, 12:53:57 PM
I was talking with one of OXY's baseball coaches last year and he told me that one of the reasons they have slipped a bit is that the school has raised their academic requirements considerably from years past.(Don't know why it affects baseball and not football)

Especially when you can have a D-1 College World Series with Rice playing Stanford! :)

Sabretooth Tiger

It's not the academic standards that have caused the program to suffer . . . in my opinion.  There has been considerable turmoil in the program that killed the team and killed recruiting.  A few years ago the players essentially revolted against the then long time coach, went to everyone in the administration and the loudest among them led what was basically a walk-out.

That was killer.  Year or so passes, coach leaves, new coach hired, he lasts about a season for reasons unclear to me.

Program is moribund.  New coach in place since last spring, new assistants as well.  So you've got a program that has been fubared for the last 3-4 years with virtually no recruiting ongoing . . . killed the program at a time where most others were on a big upswing along with the rest of the institution.

Tougher to get into now?  Absolutely . . . but as noted, that has not hurt the football program, or the basketball program (top 25 baby).  Coaching turnover is what hurts.  Look at women's volleyball that lost its coach at the start of the season.  Really tough.

A little consistency with the baseball coaching staff and a few years of recruiting should get the program back on track.  There is great alumni support so hopefully we'll see some improvement this year and continued through the coming years. 

Only time will tell.

ScrappyMcTavish

Key Matchups in D3 Baseball on the West Coast:

Feb:
   4th/5th- Cal Lutheran vs Chapman (3 Games)
   17th/18th- McMurry(TX) @ Chapman (3 Games)

Mar:
   3rd/4th- Cal Lutheran vs. Pomona- Pitzer (3 Games)
   9th- Ithaca(NY) @ Chapman
   11th- Montclair State @ Chapman
   11th, 12th, 13th- Kean(NJ) @ Pomona-Pitzer (3 Games)
   14th- Kean(NJ) @ Chapman
   15th- Montclair State @ Pomona Pitzer
   24th- Eastern Conn. @ Chapman
   25th- Weslyan(CT) @ Chapman

Apr:
   7th/8th- Pomona-Pitzer vs Laverne (3 Games)
   28th/29th- Cal Lutheran vs Laverne (3 Games)

May:
  5th/6th/7th- Chapman @ George Fox(OR)

Should make for some great small school baseball on the left coast. I am planning on catching quite a few of these games.

pomonaalum

My rankings for SCIAC baseball settings would go.

1) CMC
2) Oxy
3) Pomona
4) Redlands
5) Cal Lu
6) La Verne
7) Whittier
8) Cal-Tech

ScrappyMcTavish

Quote from: pomonaalum on January 12, 2006, 10:28:41 AM
My rankings for SCIAC baseball settings would go.

1) CMC
2) Oxy
3) Pomona
4) Redlands
5) Cal Lu
6) La Verne
7) Whittier
8) Cal-Tech

Interesting predictions... why so low for Cal Lutheran and LaVerne? Surely there must be some basis for putting two perrenial SCIAC powers so low.