FB: Southern Athletic Association

Started by Ron Boerger, October 25, 2011, 02:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigerguy

Similar situation in San Antonio. You'd think that the ONLY collegiate team in San Antonio prior to 2009 would receive some sort of attention, especially given how dominating Trinity was during the late 90's to early 2000's. I remember reading an article three or four years ago saying that it was ridiculous how the program didn't have more spectators, but that's Division III football for you! Now with the addition of Incarnate Word and UTSA football, Trinity is now 4th tier (behind high school football of course!)

Ralph Turner

Quote from: jknezek on October 03, 2012, 11:46:25 AM
Living in Birmingham I can tell you there is just about 0 chatter about Birmingham Southern. This is Tide and Tiger territory,
One of my son-in-law's groomsmen has a cartoon that says.

"I wear my UAB T-shirt because I went to college there.
You wear your Alabama T-shirt because you went to Wal-Mart."

jknezek

Quote from: Ralph Turner on October 03, 2012, 02:31:41 PM
Living in Birmingham I can tell you there is just about 0 chatter about Birmingham Southern. This is Tide and Tiger territory,

That is fantastic. I almost fell out of my chair at work laughing. So true.

DGPugh

Ralph- no the truth and it will set you free (Walmart.......i know that is the truth)

i wear an AU log on a scrub shirt (that i get ... nasty everyday) just because I can

i have a child today that went to BSC for ubdergrad, i told her that they were undefeated this year...she didn't even know.
She had been a senior when they started the football team.

keep the faith
"Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes." 
Ephesians 6:11

Ralph Turner

Quote from: jknezek on October 03, 2012, 03:00:46 PM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on October 03, 2012, 02:31:41 PM

That is fantastic. I almost fell out of my chair at work laughing. So true.
At least you did not read it with a mouth full of coffee!

That would have messed up your keyboard.

awadelewis

It's always amazed me that Sewanee gets more attention from the national press than from the local media in either Nashville or Chattanooga.  And the national press interest is only in the fact that we're a footnote in the history of the sport.  I think that would hold even had we a recent won-loss record like Mount Union's record.

I think that for most of the SAA schools in recent time,  the game of football has always been a social event rather than sporting event.   I know it's been that way on the Mountain in all thirty years of my association with Sewanee.  B-SC isn't helped by the recent vintage of their program; they don't have that tradition of coming to the party that other places in the league may have to get people out to the stands.   

That's one of the reasons I'm going to be real interested in what kind of support Berry and Hendrix generate for their football programs.

And I agree... going to be really interesting to keep an eye on the B-SC/Wesley game this weekend.

cush

This got me curious, so i went to the birmingham southern website and looked up their attendance, stadium is 1600 with grass area. Its not bad, 3 home games at  about 1200, 1400, 2000  and 2 road games at 2000, 2400. D3 school's will never get much attention in any market, let alone in a market with major d1 football school's. If they make a run in the playoffs, they probably get some coverage. Its just more a social event for any d3 campus, which their attendance reflects for school of about 1400 students.

BSCDad

Ok I'm rising to the bait.  I'm a BSC football parent and have been following this site for about a year now but never took the time to get registerd.  I've been impressed by the level of discourse and courteousness on this forum. BSC has a big game this Saturday versus Wesley; an earlier posted indicated that the game might be livestreaming but "livestats" is the only medium I've been able to find.  Any information on that would be appreciated.

BSC does have a nicely done TV show called "Panther Review." Here is a YouTube link to the program: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56FqbzzXRf8&feature=g-all-u
This videographer has highlights from previous games as well.

I agree that it is hard to get much attention for D3 football in the heart of Alabama.  I work at the University of Alabama so I'm in the midst of the maelstrom.  I shared the t-shirt caption with my son and we both had a good laugh. 

Thanks for letting me join the group.   

Major Rev

Welcome aboard, BSCDad!  If I could, I would give you  +1 for the effort.  I'm also a BSC dad, and a Lynx dad, though my login reveals three generations of loyalty to Millsaps.

Great year for the football Panthers!  I hope you guys enjoy it, and I'm REALLY looking forward to our November game.  If you guys are coming for it, let me recommend Keifer's Restaurant, Sal and Mookie's, Babalu, or Brent's Drug Store (featured in The Help).  All of these are within a mile of campus.

I'll be in the "Preacher's Pew", top row on the home side, just to the right of the press box.

@d3jason

Quote from: BSCDad on October 05, 2012, 11:53:12 AM
Ok I'm rising to the bait.  I'm a BSC football parent and have been following this site for about a year now but never took the time to get registerd.  I've been impressed by the level of discourse and courteousness on this forum. BSC has a big game this Saturday versus Wesley; an earlier posted indicated that the game might be livestreaming but "livestats" is the only medium I've been able to find.  Any information on that would be appreciated.

BSC does have a nicely done TV show called "Panther Review." Here is a YouTube link to the program: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56FqbzzXRf8&feature=g-all-u
This videographer has highlights from previous games as well.

I agree that it is hard to get much attention for D3 football in the heart of Alabama.  I work at the University of Alabama so I'm in the midst of the maelstrom.  I shared the t-shirt caption with my son and we both had a good laugh. 

Thanks for letting me join the group.   

We will be broadcasting the game on WDEL 1150 AM. You could listen in Alabama by going to wdel.com or download the WDEL app for Iphone/Ipad or droid to listen also.

BSCDad

Thanks d3jason and Major Rev for the great information! 

jknezek

Hey BSCDad I'm going to try and get to the Trinity game next weekend. I'm a W&L grad, but I live here in Birmingham. Haven't been over to the B-SC campus yet, I was sick when the W&L lacrosse team came down a couple years ago. I'll definitely be rooting for the home team. Short of when the SAA plays an ODAC team, they get my support. Helps that I've been to Centre, Millsaps, Sewanee and Rhodes over the years for various reasons.

Ron Boerger

Welcome, BSCDad.   Good to have someone to represent the Panthers, please tell your fellow parents that we welcome them as well.   Very impressive year so far, and what a talent you have in Shawn Morris ... who I hope is healthy for tomorrow's game as you'll need all the weapons you can get against the Wolverines.  Good luck!

[I gave you a +1 on behalf of Major Rev too  :)]

PA_wesleyfan

Just an FYI folks..I noticed that the score board for the DIII game between Wesley and BSC does not list a radio feed. You can listen to the game on the web site WDEL radio. I can't say that the anouncer are completely neutral but Sean Green is a very good play by play announcer and Jason Bowen who used to write the south column for DIII is the color commentator.

Football !!! The ultimate team sport. Anyone who plays DIII football is a winner...

Ralph Turner