FB: Southern Athletic Association

Started by Ron Boerger, October 25, 2011, 02:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riley Zayas, mc1983 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Ron Boerger

Looks like it will be a sloppy game in San Antonio.  50% chance of rain Friday, 80% Friday night, 100% Saturday, and it's a grass field. 

Major Rev

Millsaps and Centre were two closely matched teams today and statistically were very close as well.  Shows you what a coupla breaks can do to the final score.  Millsaps 33, Centre 16.

The major difference may have been in TOP (which I think Centre will dominate).  Other differences - Centre's limited ability in the passing game and two-minute offense, creative Millsaps offense and Pinciotti's arm, Millsaps defense on critical downs (TFLs and 7 sacks). 

Centre's QB Heath Haden had a really fine game rushing 34 times (112 yards, 2 fumbles lost) and passing 34 attempts (189 yards).  Millsaps' Pinciotti was 17-27 for 232, throwing his first interceptions (2) of the year and one touchdown.

Nice 53-yard field goal by Centre's kicker Jordan Gay (school record).  He's got a thunder foot!

As Pat said in the column this week, this conference will supply multiple tests for all of the top teams.  Millsaps has #24 Huntingdon next week then Rhodes, Trinity and #16 Birmingham Southern further down the way.

Shout out to Millsaps RB Mike Barthelemy, injured in first half when involved in the tackle on an interception return.  In the first half he had 57 yards on 17 carries and did not return to play in the 2nd half.

Maybe Millsaps is for real ... time will tell.  My prediction?  They'll pick up a few votes this week.

Major Rev

totally off on the TOP.  Millsaps carried that stat, with good conversion percentages (50% on third down and 1-1 on 4th down) and adequate running game.

awadelewis

Tough loss on the Mountain today for the Tigers as Willamette defeated Sewanee on a 28-24 score.  Couple of penalties on the defense help Willamette keep the go-ahead drive going and then a fumble on the ensuing possession kills us.   We pin them on the goal and hold them there but the Bearcats defense steps up and forces Sewanee to a 4-and-out.    Dean had a pretty good game for Willamette and the stats were as expected with Willamette getting tons of yardage through the air and Sewanee on the ground.

Ron Boerger

Rhodes had no business being in the game, being outgained by 275+ yards, but the opportunistic Lynx took advantage of several Trinity turnovers to stay close.  After their longest drive of the night and trailing 30-22, they were finally turned away with less than two minutes left inside the Trinity 10 when freshman Blake Box* (30-51, 228 yds, 1 TD/1 Int) could not connect with Jack Lartigue on 4th and five. 

The Lynx only had 212 total yards as they were unable to get a running game going (-16 net yards).  Mr. Lartigue accounted for 160 of those 212 yards, and one score, on 18 receptions. 

* - Box is from Austin!   >:(

Major Rev

Obviously another fine game from McKissic and from RB Desmond King, a well-balanced attack.  The Tigers have an unenviable schedule over the next three weeks though.  Birmingham Southern may be the test for everybody, and Centre is certainly tough, and will look forward to the coming showdown with Millsaps at the end of October.
Sounds like the gauntlet at the top of the SAA that Pat Coleman referred to in the Triple Take article this week (even though he missed the call on the Millsaps/Centre game).  :)

Major Rev

Birmingham Southern vs Wesley       Wesley gets the home win in a close one by 5

Huntingdon vs Millsaps                    Millsaps shows they are for real by 2

Rhodes vs Austin                           Rhodes loses a heartbreaker in Texas by 3

Centre vs Sewanee                        Centre gets back on track by 14

Major Rev

Thanks for the Berry info, Shoreman.  I may have a rising Viking at my house ...

Shoreman

No problem Major Rev. Berry sounds like a beautiful campus. Hope your son gives Sewanee a look also.

As for predictions.

Wesley by 10.
Millsaps by 14
Rhodes too much for Austin, win by 14
Going with the Tigers, although Centre is a huge handful. Tigers by 7.

Ron Boerger

This week's South ATR features BSC backup tailback Joe Moultrie.  Good read.

I'm shocked that we haven't seen any BSC fans here, to be honest.

jknezek

Living in Birmingham I can tell you there is just about 0 chatter about Birmingham Southern. This is Tide and Tiger territory, and even people who went to B-SC tend to follow one of the majors. I have a co-worker who went to W&L with me, her husband graduated B-SC. They go to Tuscaloosa every weekend with his family as they did when he was growing up. It's going to be a long uphill climb for B-SC to win any kind of following even among its own alumni. Samford, UAB, UNA, Troy, etc all have similar problems. People are partial to Alabama or Auburn when it comes to football, not so much their alma mater.

An interesting story, I was listening to a local sports radio station yesterday a.m. and they got sidetracked into discussing a late 80s Iron Bowl for some reason. The B-SC AD called in to mention their huge game this weekend and that they are ranked 11th in the country (AFCA Poll). He wasn't on long and a caller or two later called in to the show and asked why they let the AD on the air when there was clearly a much more interesting and important conversation that he interrupted. Such is life in Birmingham...

Ron Boerger

which is exactly why I'd expect to see a few parents, at least, find their way here.   Where else are they going to talk about it?  ;)

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Ron Boerger on October 03, 2012, 12:04:03 PM
which is exactly why I'd expect to see a few parents, at least, find their way here.   Where else are they going to talk about it?  ;)

I posted a link in the story. Let's see if that helps.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Major Rev

It's a shocker until you do the math.  After over 100 years of graduates at Millsaps, the total number of alumni equals to about the same as the CURRENT STUDENT BODY at most of the SEC schools.  And most of our D3 schools are dwarfed by the high schools in the largest classifications.

I don't look for local sports talk radio to EVER care much about D3 sports.  There just isn't the fan base.  My daughter really enjoyed AD Joe Dean during her 4 years at BSC (tennis), even when the athletes were in shock finding out about the transition to D3 during their exams.  I admire him for holding out hope!   :D

That game against Wesley should be a good one to watch on-line and expecially of interest to other contenders in the SAA and the South Region independents.