WBB: Upper Midwest Athletic Conference

Started by Saints4Life, November 11, 2009, 12:52:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

jaybird44

It seems that I have been the only member of the only (unofficial) fall sport at WashU, with my 100-mile ultramarathon attempt earlier this month to promote the fight for a cure during Rett Syndrome Awareness Month.  That attempt fell a bit short in miles and fundraising, so I'm going into overtime to try and reach $5,000 in donations.

Rett Gets Rocked 50K for $5K will commence Friday, October 30 at 8 pm Central, and end at 8 am Halloween morning.  Counting donations received (thanks to retired WashU men's basketball coach Mark Edwards and his wife Mary, and to Mike McGrath and his  University of Chicago men's basketball program for their donations!) and those yet to be sent and processed, I am at $4,440.53.  Very, very close to my goal...which will fund a researcher's work for a month.  Wouldn't it be cool if he or she cracked the code for a cure of Rett syndrome, on our dime?!

I reached 86 miles in my "Rett Gets Rocked Virtual Ultra Weekend" October 3-4.  I'm very proud of that result, but there's more work to be done.  Proceeds from the event will be split between Rettsyndrome.org (the only national organization spearheading research and providing resources for affected patients and their families) and the Rett Spectrum Clinic--a collaboration between the WashU School of Medicine and St. Louis Children's Hospital.

Rett syndrome is a rare, non-inherited neurological disorder that is caused by a gene mutation in the brain.  It primarily affects girls (1 in every 10,000 girls develop Rett).  It strikes typically when a child is 6-18 months old, and it has the characteristics of ALS, autism, epilepsy, and Parkinson's...all rolled into one sinister disorder.  It takes away the child's ability to move and communicate. 

In essence, Rett does to a child what Lucy in the "Peanuts" comic strip does to Charlie Brown when he tries to kick the football that she is holding.  The only difference is that Charlie Brown can get back up to try again.  Those who are afflicted with Rett syndrome don't get another chance to enjoy a vibrant life.

Researchers are working to re-engineer the gene mutation that turns on Rett, so it can be forever turned off.  Four drug therapies are in the FDA review pipeline, with one (trofanitide) one level away from review.  And, iPad tablets with retinal scan technology are giving those with Rett a voice they haven't had since they were toddlers.

The full court press on Rett is paying off.  You can help keep the pressure on Rett, by going to my Rett Racers donation page:  https://rettracer.everydayhero.com/us/rett-gets-rocked-2020

Thanks for your time and consideration, and hopefully there will be basketball to play and broadcast at the start of 2021!

Jay Murry
Play-By-Play Announcer, Washington University in St. Louis
Event Director, Rett Gets Rocked 50K for $5K

Baldini

The UMAC women have started non conference play 4-0 so far and are 3-0 against the MIAC.

Minnesota-Morris 60, Concordia-Moorhead 55
Martin Luther 64, Macalester 51
Bethany Lutheran 66, Carleton 62
North Central 72, Alverno 39

Baldini

This is like twilight zone stuff!

The UMAC women are now 6-0 against the MIAC with another 3-0 mark tonight.

Crown 86, St. Scholastica 76
Bethany Lutheran 76, Augsburg 59
Northwestern 69, Hamline 62

Jester1390

I watched the Hamline game tonight my daughter has 2 high school teammates on the team.  Hard fought game losing in overtime. Bethany might be the real deal this girl HANNA GEISTFELD is a tremendous player.  I will get to see her play in the north park  tournament my daughters team is in same tournament but they dont play each other.

also watch Jay Kaweth who was one of my favorite players to coach always positive and the best athlete i have ever coached.  Never played before coming to me when in 7th grade and she was the best defender the second she stepped on court. Her mom was worried about her offense but i told her not to worry it would come later and it appears she has figured out her offense in college. I have met her coach on a visit to Morris and the coach impressed me and was very nice

North central should be able to compete with the Talso sisters i know well the older one played against my daughter 2 times a year great battles of really good players  not on great teams. Best game my daughter had in high school was against Jocelyn in a overtime game scoring 32 and Jocelyn had 26.  Their high school coach was very good and did well with the limited depth he had

Shout out to Jasmine Choi another one of my former players playing for Carleton and she scored 13 pts in her college debut against Bethany

gordonmann

I know Bethany Lutheran lost to St. benedict yesterday, but I'm excited to see what the Vikings can do. Geistfeld is a stud who puts up "stupid good" numbers, but that team is more than her. They have good size and play really hard. They beat a good UWO team on a neutral court and would be a handful in the NCAA Tournament. Plus they are playing a really good schedule. Looking forward to Simpson/Bethany Lutheran in a couple weeks.

Baldini

Quote from: gordonmann on November 14, 2021, 02:16:54 PM
I know Bethany Lutheran lost to St. benedict yesterday, but I'm excited to see what the Vikings can do. Geistfeld is a stud who puts up "stupid good" numbers, but that team is more than her. They have good size and play really hard. They beat a good UWO team on a neutral court and would be a handful in the NCAA Tournament. Plus they are playing a really good schedule. Looking forward to Simpson/Bethany Lutheran in a couple weeks.

Agree that Bethany Lutheran is probably a step above the top teams in the UMAC in most years, they have a real chance to win a game(s) in the tournament.

The UMAC has come back to earth a bit and are now 8-6 against the MIAC and I believe their is only 2 games remaining between the two this season. Don't believe the UMAC has ever bested the MIAC for a season... in anything.