FB: Liberty League

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caz Bombers

28-0 Bombers now. I didn't expect this.

Bartman

Congratulations to the Bombers today. Superior Bomber Lineman and timely play when it counted plus Statesman errors resulted in the game being over at the half. At least with Morrisville we had an excuse or two, but this game we just were beaten by the better team. Good luck to Ithaca the rest of the way.... now, excuse me ,but I feel sick :'(
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

Jonny Utah

Quote from: Bartman on October 01, 2022, 03:35:21 PM
Congratulations to the Bombers today. Superior Bomber Lineman and timely play when it counted plus Statesman errors resulted in the game being over at the half. At least with Morrisville we had an excuse or two, but this game we just were beaten by the better team. Good luck to Ithaca the rest of the way.... now, excuse me ,but I feel sick :'(

Yea I think Ithaca's new HC is the real deal.  He has them really prepared and coached up for any situation.  Ithaca's QB is also imo one of the most underrated QBs in the league and maybe the country.  He doesn't have the stats to back it up really but man he makes some plays when they need them.  Ithaca's defense is on point as well.  Hobart did not have much of anything on offense and no one seemed to be open for Hobart all game.  And this seems to be constant this year for Ithaca's defense.  It's almost like they know what the offense is going to run and they defend it perfectly.  That's coaching. 

But the LL has shown year in and year out to be an odd league and I'll bet a roll of the dice (snake eyes ..) that Hobart runs the table and Ithaca loses to RPI and Union or something crazy like that  ;D

But in all seriousness I won't be negative and I will give Ithaca its props.  They are a good team poised to make a good run down the stretch. 

I also love Hobart's play by play man on their video feed.  He is the best in the league by far.  He might be a homer but he knows his stuff and is a professional and I love listening to him. 

Jersey42

RPI defeated Rochester 31-3 after leading 7-3 at the half.  The Hansen prediction of 25-5 was not bad, even though there was no safety  ;D

Rochester moved the ball in the first half better than any of RPI's previous opponents.  But two interceptions were UR's downfall.  The first lead to an RPI touchdown and the second ended a drive that had reached the red zone.

IMHO, Kazanowsky showed some promise at QB and I expect he will keep the job going forward.  He had a few nice passes, one TD and no turnovers.  Even when they had a 14-3 lead, RPI's offense showed very little up to that point.  One touchdown drive started at the UR 7 after an interception.  The other came on a fake punt on 4th and 9 from the RPI 37.

RPI dominated most of the second half with the defense once again leading the way.  UR had 8 total yards in Q3 and 55 yards in Q4.  RPI had a nice 12 play, 75 yard drive beginning late in Q3.  The remaining scores were the result of good field position caused by a defensive stop (UR 40) and another interception (UR 17).  At least this week, the offense was able to capitalize on the field position. 31 points were not bad for RPI, but defense and special teams were a big contributor to 24 of those points.

I give a lot of credit to UR's defense.  They were hungry, came to play and pretty much shut down RPI in the first 2+ quarters.  I think RPI was the better team and they just eventually wore them down.

Ice Bear

Ice Bear just finished reading the short write up in the Gazette about Union's W over a hard working, never quit, but can't seem to get out of their own way Buffalo State team. Ice wants to say how much respect he has for some of those Begal players and coaches who just worked to stay positive regardless of the beating they were taking on the field. Ice felt for them but was inspired by their mental battle to not imploade on each other. Ice means it, that can't be easy game in and game out for the Bengals. Ice believes those players are trying.

Ice's reflection on yesterday's game is a very positive one. The Bears beloved Dutch needed a few things to happen yesterday to really put last week behind them. Those things did happen.

-Ice says Union ran the ball with some success (for the most part) based upon the talent of their backs and an improved performance from an O-line that was taken behind the woodshed and ****ing bitch slapped like a red headed step child during the entire second half of last week's game. To Ice, they certainly weren't perfect, but they did enough to regain some confidence and a little swagger going into the SLU game next week.

-Union's secondary play improved a bit with some tighter coverage and some more aggressive contact after the catch. Ufan was quite impressed with the coverage by #26 Sr. cornerback Christian Maiz (although looking at the roster now Ice thinks some plays may have been made by #36 a So. CB in Emmanuel Green). Ufan can speak on this and correct Ice's foggy memory. Anywho, the pass defense was improved yesterday, granted it was against an inferior opponent. Hopefully some confidence was gained from this performance that will be carried over moving forward. One weakness for the U secondary is the crest of the field. Ice says they really struggle to shut that area down.

-When Ice and co were looking at the two deep, Sr. Stratton Sherman was set to start at QB, backed up by Jr. Kyle Bicho. Yet very shortly before game time, as the starting lineups were being announced, #14 Fr. Patch Flanagan was announced as the starter. We all looked at each other dumbfounded as we have heard very little to nothing about Patch. Well, Ice says Patch showed poise, athleticism, fluidity with the line, and a decent arm yesterday providing hope for the Garnet faithful that we have a very capable backup. Flanagan, in his first college action ever, orchestrated the Union O in a similar manner to Paccatte. Obviously not on the exact same level, but certainly he was effective enough to throw for three TD's, run for some nice scampers, and really only forced the ball one time. To Ice, this was more than we could have expected and/or asked from a freshman. Ice is sure there will be a learning curve for Patch but for the Garnet faithful to know we have a solid backup and possibly a QB of the future when Paccatte's time passess, is a great feeling.

Overall the Dutch did what they needed to yesterday and Ice is pleased.

A long time fan of DIII Football!

Ice Bear

Ice also sends his congratulations to the Bombers of Ithaca College on their big and convincing W over the Pumpkins of Geneva. Ice felt the game was going to go this way but like he said last week, the Pumpkins can be explosive and very tough on D. As of now IC is the class of the league and Bart will be looking to stay in the mix gunning for big W's over the likes of Union and RPI.

RPI seemed to do what it needed to and maybe Kazanowsky is the answer moving forward. Ice believes at some point it would benefit the Engineers as a whole to stick with one kid and allow him to work through his growing pains in order to gain some consistency. Ice thinks there may not be a better time to do so than when you have a defense that can literally ****ing win games for you.

IC798891

Everyone except IC/Hobart kind of did what was expected.

RPI finally strung some decent drives together in the 2nd half, which is encouraging.

Union, injured or not, just out talented Buff State.

Ithaca with the most impressive game of the week. The defense is so strong. The offense is very efficient, and doesn't make a lot of mistakes. A 31-7 win on the road in conference play against a tough team is great. I feel confident that IC is the favorite in the LL, though we've seen the last two years that none of that matters. But they have the two best wins so far.

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: IC798891 on October 02, 2022, 05:38:36 PM

RPI finally strung some decent drives together in the 2nd half, which is encouraging.

Ithaca with the most impressive game of the week. The defense is so strong. The offense is very efficient, and doesn't make a lot of mistakes. A 31-7 win on the road in conference play against a tough team is great. I feel confident that IC is the favorite in the LL, though we've seen the last two years that none of that matters. But they have the two best wins so far.

Can THAT Ithaca team hang with, at least for a while, the Big Four of North Central, Mount Union, Whitewater and Mary-Hardin Baylor or are those teams the Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State and Clemson of D3 yet again?

Oline89

Just made it back home after weekend in Geneva area.  Hobart threw everything Ithaca's way: Homecoming weekend, Full compliment of offensive players (Krewson, Boswell, full compliment of receivers and OLine), loud/jacked up home crowd.  The Bombers just decimated the Statesmen.  IC stuffed the run when necessary, picked off Krewson, and completed every important third or fourth down play with ease.  Other than a botched snap that let to a return for a TD, I can't make any excuses.  This Bomber squad is for real.  Good luck to the rest of the LL, but this could easlily be a 9-0 vs 9-0 CORTICA game this year. 

Oline89

Quote from: jmcozenlaw on October 02, 2022, 06:22:54 PM

This team can hang with and beat Hopkins, Muhlenberg and Cortland.....but playing in the elite top 4 world is a stretch

Can THAT Ithaca team hang with, at least for a while, the Big Four of North Central, Mount Union, Whitewater and Mary-Hardin Baylor or are those teams the Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State and Clemson of D3 yet again?

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: Oline89 on October 02, 2022, 06:27:07 PM

This team can hang with and beat Hopkins, Muhlenberg and Cortland.....but playing in the elite top 4 world is a stretch

I have no doubt that Ithaca can beat this year's Muhlenberg team (who lost to Ursinus) and this year's Hopkins team, who beat Ursinus by the skin of their teeth. I think that Susquehanna gives Hopkins all that it can handle, but Hopkins probably wins a close one.

Ithaca and Cortland should be a great game!

Ice Bear

Ice would like to think so...but he doesn't think so, and that's no knock on this excellent IC team. The Bear would love to see it though. Maybe? Who knows. That gap to reach those top teams is just so hard to make up.

unionpalooza

This all sounds about right to me.  Ithaca is definitely the team to beat, though I think both RPI and Union have sufficient strengths (defense and offensive playmakers, respectively) that they could steal one on the right kind of Sat.

I would definitely not sleep on RPI. The offense seems to making progress each week, and if they can simply be mediocre, that defense will keep them in almost any game.

It was good to see Union bounce back this weekend, and the freshman QB looked excellent - he doesn't have Pacatte's size or seasoning but he seemed to throw a sharper ball and be faster on his feet.  I think in the end the Utica loss will ultimately make them better down the stretch - teams will underestimate them, and they'll play with a much better sense that things can turn on a dime and every down matters.  Hopefully they get Pacatte back sooner than later, and at least they have SLU, Rochacha and a bye coming up, with the big three all at the end of the year.

Finally, as to whether Ithaca could hang with the NCC/MU/MHBs of the world, who knows?  Going into the year, I was of the view that those guys were simply in a separate mini-division, with a set of resources and competitive advantages that put them in their own class. But there's been a bit more parity this year, so maybe things are evening out a bit?  (With that said, that parity all remains in Texas and the WI/MI/IL/OH regions, and there are real reasons to thank that an East coast squad breaking into that is unlikely.)

Bartman

Bartman is hiding for 2 weeks until the RPI game. It sucks when you have such an early league game against the best team in the LL. I'll be taking the bye week from the boards along with the team until next week's preparation for those  "pocket protector/ slide ruler" Engineers  ;)
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

hazzben

Was at a work deal in Las Vegas last week and had a convo with the guy who runs the Cornell Bookstore. He mentioned he went to college "on the other side of the hill." I think I stunned him a bit when I started riffing on Ithaca football, the beautiful stadium, Cortaca Jug, Union, RPI, etc. He was even more confused when I told him I live in Minneapolis and have never been to Ithaca or the Finger Lakes region.

I made sure to mention to my wife that all my useless d3 football knowledge and time on these boards may have been beneficial in a work setting. TBD if there's any monetary gain to be had from the conversation, but I was definitely memorable  ;D 8-)