D 3 softball

Started by oldNorse, April 10, 2009, 06:34:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justafan12

SUNY Morrisville "pauses" softball program.

https://morrisvillemustangs.com/news/2022/8/19/general-morrisville-athletics-announces-pause-on-softball-program.aspx

Their coach resigned in May and per the article on her resignation they would begin national search for a replacement.  Appears they never found a replacement.  Or did they ever plan to?  Was the softball program "paused" because they could not find a coach or was there something else.  Stinks that you wait 3 months and then tell the returning players sorry you have no program.  Article never explains why the program was paused.  Smells fishy to me.

phil

That stinks like last week's fish! Do you mean to tell me that a program that had no seniors and presumably their entire roster returning, couldn't find a head coach from the time theirs resigned back in May? I'm not buying it for one second. My daughter's select team has two former pro softball players who are working for peanuts as assistant coaches. There are D1 programs all over the country with young assistant coaches who would do anything to get their first head coaching position – even if it meant inheriting a 6-30 team. Way (way) back when, Trenton State College/TCNJ hired a former player of theirs (I think she was 24 yrs. old) to coach field hockey & women's lax. Thirty-Six years and 19 national championships later...

This sounds like an administration that had a plan to do this all along. Way too many talented people out there who would jump at a head coaching opportunity!

ppn512

Quote from: Ralph Turner on July 14, 2022, 08:10:31 PM
I like the "double first base" rule that D-3 is trying.

https://www.ncaa.org/news/2022/6/29/media-center-double-first-base-experimental-rule-proposed-in-softball.aspx?

i believe my high school in nj did this and i know the local softball teams used it for tournaments, cuts down on foot injuries from adding the second bag.

justafan12

SUNY Cobleskill Names Morgan Flamholtz New Head Women's Softball Coach.

Not sure when SUNY Cobleskill's coach resigned but they have replaced her.  Meanwhile SUNY Morrisville could not seem to hire a coach from May through August so they "paused" the program (whatever that means).  The two schools are less than 100 miles apart and one can hire a coach and another can't. 

This just ain't right.

Quote from: phil on August 23, 2022, 06:12:40 PM
That stinks like last week's fish! Do you mean to tell me that a program that had no seniors and presumably their entire roster returning, couldn't find a head coach from the time theirs resigned back in May? I'm not buying it for one second. My daughter's select team has two former pro softball players who are working for peanuts as assistant coaches. There are D1 programs all over the country with young assistant coaches who would do anything to get their first head coaching position – even if it meant inheriting a 6-30 team. Way (way) back when, Trenton State College/TCNJ hired a former player of theirs (I think she was 24 yrs. old) to coach field hockey & women's lax. Thirty-Six years and 19 national championships later...

This sounds like an administration that had a plan to do this all along. Way too many talented people out there who would jump at a head coaching opportunity!

justafan12

School was able to find a new coach for the lacrosse team but not softball.

https://morrisvillemustangs.com/news/2022/9/9/general-cofrin-tabbed-interim-head-coach-at-morrisville.aspx

Quote from: justafan12 on August 19, 2022, 10:46:08 AM
SUNY Morrisville "pauses" softball program.

https://morrisvillemustangs.com/news/2022/8/19/general-morrisville-athletics-announces-pause-on-softball-program.aspx

Their coach resigned in May and per the article on her resignation they would begin national search for a replacement.  Appears they never found a replacement.  Or did they ever plan to?  Was the softball program "paused" because they could not find a coach or was there something else.  Stinks that you wait 3 months and then tell the returning players sorry you have no program.  Article never explains why the program was paused.  Smells fishy to me.

TUAngola

Trine University's 2023 softball roster it up.  It includes 3 transfers from 2022 College World Series participant Eastern Connecticut State University: 1st team All American pitcher Alexis Michon, 2nd team All American outfielder Cassie Woods, and catcher Carolyn Biel.  Michon will be a Jr while both Woods and Biel are Grad Students.  Does anyone have any information why these ladies transferred from ECSU?

Anyway, the Trine pitching staff in 2023 will be a problem for opposing teams, lineup with 2022 stats:

Alexis Michon, 24-1, 1.07 ERA, 204 SO
Adrienne Rosey, 16-8, 1.04 ERA, 161 SO
Anna Koeppl, 9-3, 2.37 ERA, 47 SO
Lauren Clausen, 6-1, 1.34 ERA, 70 SO
Debbie Hill, Whiteland HS, Indiana All Star, 14-2, 0.68 ERA, 160 SO

Trine returns 5 position starters from last year's College World Series runnerup to Christopher Newport.  If the offense can be productive there should be a very good chance the Thunder will be back in the College World Series this year.   

phil

Michon's third college in three years.

WLCALUM83

"When you come to the fork in the road, take it."

Gray Fox

Fierce When Roused

WLCALUM83

"When you come to the fork in the road, take it."