D3 Women's Soccer 2017 Season

Started by DivisionIIISoccerSource, August 04, 2017, 02:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2xfaux

Thank goodness for public libraries.

Purplegatorade

http://www.ncaa.com/interactive-bracket/soccer-women/d3

After looking at this year's bracket.  Which first round match ups caught your eye?  These match ups have caught my eye:
UW-Whitewater vs Hope
Stevens vs. Brandeis
MHB vs. Trinity
Illinois Wesleyan vs. Centre

deiscanton

When the NCAA updated their regional rankings this afternoon, they reloaded the wrong data sheets for the women.  They need to reupload the data sheets from Nov 6, 2017.  They currently have the data sheets from November 6, 2016 posted.  They had the correct data sheets updated yesterday.

UPDATE-- Correct data sheets now up as of Wednesday, November 8, at 3:21 AM Eastern.  The data sheets were uploaded a few hours after I initially wrote this post, and I was able to get the information yesterday evening.

deiscanton

Quote from: Purplegatorade on November 06, 2017, 07:43:57 PM
http://www.ncaa.com/interactive-bracket/soccer-women/d3

After looking at this year's bracket.  Which first round match ups caught your eye?  These match ups have caught my eye:
UW-Whitewater vs Hope
Stevens vs. Brandeis
MHB vs. Trinity
Illinois Wesleyan vs. Centre

These matchups seem to be the first round games to watch.  I am interested in finding out how the new Brandeis starting goalkeeper, grad student Frankie Pinto fares in her 5th college game as goalkeeper.  I knew Frankie Pinto from her 4 years of service on the Brandeis women's basketball team.  She did play some soccer in high school, but she was more known for her high school basketball play.  Brandeis goalkeeper coach John Conlon is doing a terrific job of getting her ready for the games.  Brandeis lost goalkeepers Victoria Richardson and Sierra Dana to season ending injuries, thus making it necessary for getting new players to serve as goalkeepers for the rest of the season.  2 new capable goalkeepers in Maura Kohler and Gemma Curnin are ready to stand by to back Pinto up if needed. Both of the new back up players played on the Brandeis women's club soccer team and got promoted to varsity. I make Stevens a clear favorite in the first round, but Brandeis will play hard.  The Stevens goalkeeper kept a clean sheet at Messiah this season.

WUPHF

Quote from: deiscanton on November 07, 2017, 02:12:54 PM
I am interested in finding out how the new Brandeis starting goalkeeper, grad student Frankie Pinto fares in her 5th college game as goalkeeper.  I knew Frankie Pinto from her 4 years of service on the Brandeis women's basketball team.  She did play some soccer in high school, but she was more known for her high school basketball play.  Brandeis goalkeeper coach John Conlon is doing a terrific job of getting her ready for the games.  Brandeis lost goalkeepers Victoria Richardson and Sierra Dana to season ending injuries, thus making it necessary for getting new players to serve as goalkeepers for the rest of the season.  2 new capable goalkeepers in Maura Kohler and Gemma Curnin are ready to stand by to back Pinto up if needed. Both of the new back up players played on the Brandeis women's club soccer team and got promoted to varsity.

That is the craziest story, but it will be one for the ages if Brandeis can advance a few rounds or more.

CarpIsNotAFish

Upset pick of first round...

Western CT over Middlebury

jaybird44

For those who are interested in watching the 1st and 2nd Round games at Washington University in St. Louis, we have made it easier for you to access our broadcasts directly through your TV. 

We announced last week that our viewers can access free HD Video content from the WashU Sports Network, through custom applications on Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, and Android TV.  By downloading the free apps, you can watch our broadcasts directly through your TV...without the need to patch cords from a computer to a TV.

Click on the link below for the story, and the links to Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, and Android TV:

http://washubears.com/general/2017-18/releases/20171031rw7ib5

I hope you enjoy our broadcasts this weekend of the 1st and 2nd Round games!

Jay Murry
Play-By-Play Broadcaster
Washington University in St. Louis
Baseball, Football, Men's/Women's Basketball & Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Track & Field
93 broadcasts in both 2016-17 and 2015-16, 500th WashU broadcast in 2017-18

cciw83

Some interesting things in this post-season, really like the info on the Brandeis gk situation. Glad to see what Washington U. is doing for their broadcasts.

Agree with the interesting open round games, just can't get a read on UW-Whitewater this year. Have not seen Mary Hardin this year but the matchup with Trinity seems to be a really good opening round game.

IL Wesleyan v Centre will be young team versus young team as both lineups are loaded with freshmen and sophomores. IWU will play a little more direct and CCIW can be a little more physical . Centre hit a rough stretch early in the season after they lost a starting forward and center back to season ending injuries in the first three games, but after moving around personnel and experimenting with formations  seemed to rebound. 

PlaySimple

^^ Illinois Wesleyan is racked with injuries now. Centre will have the advantage in the game because their injuries were early in the season and they've had time to adjust. IWU has, from what I've heard, a few ACLs, a broken leg, multiple concussions, etc. They're depleted and running on fumes.

I have no connection to Illinois Wesleyan but a friend's daughter has been considering some D3 schools that are strong academically and that have historically good soccer programs. IWU is one of the schools she is considering. Having lived in Chicagoland most of my life, I know of IWU's academic reputation. IWU also has a decent soccer program. I told my friend that I would try to watch some games and give my impression.  cciw83 says that IWU will play direct. While that can be true, what I've noticed is that they play direct when the opposition plays direct. In the Wheaton games I watched, they played more direct in the first game and they got their clocks cleaned. In the 2nd game, the CCIW championship game, IWU played direct in the 1st half and, again, were getting soundly beaten. In the 2nd half they seemed to play a more possession oriented game and in my opinion seemed to have the run of play. IWU nearly scored a few times but came up short and lost, 1-0. A few position changes seemed to help as well. There was better defense played against Wheaton's more dangerous offensive weapons, in particular the big Wheaton frosh forward that is so dangerous. Her chances where really limited in the second half.

(As an aside, the referees for that game were awful. On multiple occasions, when IWU was fouled but still had advantage, they blew the whistle. That probably happened three times while IWU was moving toward their attacking 1/3. On several more plays there were really bad fouls called. Even the announcers on the stream, probably Wheaton students, commented on it. I understand about the referee shortage but it's a shame to put a crew like that on a league championship game.)

Out of the 4 or 5 times I've watched IWU this season, I believe that when they play possession they are a much better team. I'm not sure why the coach will often choose the more direct route. In my mind, unless you have players in the attacking 1/3 that are going to control the ball, you're essentially giving the ball to the other team. IWU will also play more direct when there is high pressure in the opponents attacking 1/3. It never made sense to me when teams try to get out of that pressure by booting the ball up the field. Make the forwards from the other team chase the ball and tire them out. Another peculiar thing that I have seen IWU do this year, and I think it was only vs Wheaton and Wheaton does the same thing, is to kick the ball hard toward the opponents goal at the kickoff. It is often kicked to the keeper. This is another big head scratcher for me. Why do that? A team is just as well off to tell the opponent "Here, you take possession." That is essentially what they're doing. This isn't American Football!! I see other teams doing this also. It's really stupid soccer.

2xfaux

My goodness so many devastating injuries.  Best wishes to all of those injured kids and good luck to their teams going forward. 

bricullen

Tournament weather has officially hit the Northeast!!  I'll take my guess at the Final Four: TCNJ, Chicago, Carnegie Mellon, and Williams.  Although, all of these teams face significant hurdles to get to the final four.  TCNJ could potentially have to beat Tufts, undefeated Chris Newport and then Messiah just to reach the Final Four(of course you never know).  Let the games begin.  Everyone going out to the games stay warm.

deiscanton

I echo bricullen's sentiments on the weather. It will be very chilly in Boston and New England this weekend.

As for the Final Four picks-- TCNJ, Carnegie Mellon, and Williams are decent picks.  How does Chicago handle Wash U should the teams meet up in the Elite Eight?  Chicago's second half goalkeeper Miranda Malone and the defense would have to do a better job in the rematch in order for the Maroons to advance.  Or does Chicago's first half goalkeeper Katie Donovan play the entire match in that one? 

Anyway-- tournament play starts at 11 AM Central/Noon Eastern with Chicago playing St Catherine, followed by UW-Whitewater vs Hope.  This evening, the pod at Lorasplays their first round games.  The rest of the pods start tomorrow.  Best of luck to all the teams.

deiscanton

Word of advice for anyone planning to buy merchandise at the tourney sites this weekend-- be prepared to spend a lot.  According to info I got from Brandeis sports information, the t-shirts are going for $25; the baseball caps are $28, and the sweatshirts are going for $35.  That is in addition to the $6 spent for general admission.  I always hate how the NCAA prices their merchandise and makes you go to the tournament sites to buy them-- you just cannot order these on-line from the NCAA store.

Ron Boerger

That, and making the championship programs all-digital a few years back.   Kind of hard to read those on a cell and I'm not lugging a tablet to events.

deiscanton

Quote from: Ron Boerger on November 10, 2017, 10:48:28 AM
That, and making the championship programs all-digital a few years back.   Kind of hard to read those on a cell and I'm not lugging a tablet to events.

I agree with that sentiment, but at least if you watch the women's games at MIT, you will not have to bring a WiFi hotspot with you.  Steinbrenner Stadium has plenty of WiFi access for MIT guests.  Of course, having a personal WiFi hotspot is always handy in emergencies, and you can check up on other tourney action around the country if you are watching some games in person.