D3 Women's Soccer 2017 Season

Started by DivisionIIISoccerSource, August 04, 2017, 02:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiscanton

It looks like it is snowing in Chicago.  Some light snow/flurries on the ground at Stagg Field as we head to game time.

deiscanton

Chicago up 1-0 at the half over St Catherine on a snow covered pitch at Stagg Field.  On the video feed, the Chicago commentators thought that the goal was a St Catherine OG, but live stats are giving the goal to Chicago's #5 Clare Suter for her first goal of the season.  Chicago leading comfortably in shots, SOG, and corners.

Update-- Chicago twitter feed now confirming that the first goal was a St Catherine OG.  Twitter feed also has a hashtag of yesitssnowy

deiscanton

Chicago now up 2-0 on a Mia Calamari PK 5 minutes into the second half.

WUPHF

Quote from: deiscanton on November 10, 2017, 10:25:48 AMAccording to info I got from Brandeis sports information, the t-shirts are going for $25; the baseball caps are $28, and the sweatshirts are going for $35.  That is in addition to the $6 spent for general admission.  I always hate how the NCAA prices their merchandise and makes you go to the tournament sites to buy them--you just cannot order these on-line from the NCAA store.

It would be interesting to see the economics behind the pricing.  Do they figure that 80-90% of the perspective buyers are parents and close friends who will buy a t-shirt no matter what?  And, that other fans will not be interested enough to have a souvenir?

deiscanton

Quote from: WUH on November 10, 2017, 01:32:08 PM
Quote from: deiscanton on November 10, 2017, 10:25:48 AMAccording to info I got from Brandeis sports information, the t-shirts are going for $25; the baseball caps are $28, and the sweatshirts are going for $35.  That is in addition to the $6 spent for general admission.  I always hate how the NCAA prices their merchandise and makes you go to the tournament sites to buy them--you just cannot order these on-line from the NCAA store.

It would be interesting to see the economics behind the pricing.  Do they figure that 80-90% of the perspective buyers are parents and close friends who will buy a t-shirt no matter what?  And, that other fans will not be interested enough to have a souvenir?

It would not surprise me at all if that were the case.  Anyway, we have Chicago moving on comfortably to the second round to face the winner of UW-Whitewater and Hope.  This next game was noted earlier as one first round game to watch, so I will watch.

deiscanton

Hope defeats UW-Whitewater 1-0 on an early second half goal from Rylie Dalton.  Dalton was playing most of the game on a yellow card that she got midway through the first half, but managed to avoid a 2nd yellow card.  The Flying Dutch advance to play Chicago tomorrow afternoon for a spot in the Sweet 16.

deiscanton

The remainder of the first round takes place today starting at 11 AM Eastern and continuing throughout the day.  2 Second round games-- Chicago vs Hope and Loras vs Wheaton (IL) also taking place today.  Loras and Wheaton (IL) posted clean sheet wins over their first round opponents last night.

Wind chills in the teens in the Boston, MA area this morning, so I will probably watch the games on-line.

Among the games to watch this afternoon, we have purplegatorade's picks of Stevens vs Brandeis, UMHB vs Trinity (TX), and Illinois Wesleyan vs Centre.

We also have 2xfaux's game of Western Connecticut vs Middlebury, in which Western Connecticut was picked to upset Middlebury.

An exciting day of action on hand starting at 11 AM Eastern for those of you watching on-line today.  For those of you braving the elements to attend your games in person, have a good time at your games.

deiscanton

Action so far on the New England side--

There may be 8 New England AQs, but 5 of them are going down handily.

Lesley held on in the first half, but Williams scored 2 early second half goals to take control.

A goalfest in Cambridge, MA as MIT led at halftime, 4-2, over Castleton and then scored 2 second half goals for a 6-2 lead.  Shoutout to blooter442 who is at that game.

Messiah currently up 4-0 over Westfield State early in the second half.

William Smith and TCNJ also comfortably leading over Lasell and Roger Williams respectively.

Update-- Williams and MIT on to the next round.  MIT won 7-2 over Castleton.

deiscanton

Brandeis defeats Stevens, 3-1, to advance to their second ever meeting with Williams tomorrow.  Brandeis and Stevens were 0-0 at halftime.  The first goal was scored by Brandeis's Sasha Sunday with an assist from Samantha Schwartz.  With 20 minutes left, Stevens added a lot of pressure, but Brandeis was able to counter with a goal from Haliana Burhans to make it 2-0.  Stevens spoiled Brandeis's clean sheet attempt with 4:12 remaining, but the Judges quickly countered with their third goal of the day. 

Brandeis and Williams last met in the 2010 NCAA tournament's second round.  As a Deis fan, I am not going to say anything further about that game....

blooter442

Quote from: deiscanton on November 11, 2017, 12:48:28 PM
A goalfest in Cambridge, MA as MIT led at halftime, 4-2, over Castleton and then scored 2 second half goals for a 6-2 lead.  Shoutout to blooter442 who is at that game.

Thanks for the shoutout. ;) Excited to see 'Deis women in action tomorrow!

Ron Boerger

Undefeated #3 Hardin-Simmons (20-0) face #9 Trinity (TX) (19-1) this afternoon in Abilene.   HSU has had the better of this match-up in recent history, defeating Trinity in the second round in both 2015 and 2012.   The last time the Trinity women defeated HSU was the second round of 2011.

blooter442

MIT and Middlebury about to get underway.

blooter442

MIT with some good pressure in the first couple of minutes — Midd. looks flat.

blooter442

Midd. growing into the game, but MIT's O. Struckman puts a great ball in from the left which just misses a crowd of players. Then, MIT #3 just gets beat to a through ball by the Panthers GK.

blooter442

STRuckman with the game's first shot, but an easy save for the GK.