MBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association

Started by sac, February 19, 2005, 11:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldknight

Quote from: Pat Coleman on February 22, 2013, 12:59:36 AM
Quote from: oldknight on February 21, 2013, 11:58:59 PM
Should be quite an afternoon/evening Saturday at VNA with Calvin hosting Hope for the day. As Mr. Cub would say, "It's a great day for a ballgame; let's play two." I wish the good folks at d3hoops could find a way to come, broadcast and enjoy the atmosphere.

Sorry. Wish I could. Already have one flight to Grand Rapids in my future, though.

A pity. And I was ready to take you to Big Bob's for a bite to eat between the two Rivalry games.

ziggy

Quote from: GoKnights68 on February 22, 2013, 08:31:26 AM
Does anyone else agree with the Calvin athletic ticket office/department to only be selling tickets to Saturday's game to season ticket holders after the game?  I saw about 25 people waiting in line after the game last night be shewed away from buying a ticket because they weren't season ticket holders and telling them to come back the next day.  Just seemed kind of off considering the arena was 2/3rds empty last night.  I get the notion they are trying to give perks to season ticket holders and I would get it if last night's game was packed, but it seems kind of odd with Calvin's attendance at games never being "ideal" as one would hope.

Perhaps the directive came from the MIAA considering it is a tournament game and they set the rules for dividing tickets?

neilrocks

From today's Holland Sentinel:

Whoever wins Saturday will be the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association representative in the Division III national tournament. The loser likely will not play again this season.

"We're sixth in the (Great Lakes) region right now and if we lose, who knows if we fall out or not," Vande Streek said. "It's a tough pill to swallow when you're 22-3 and sixth in the region. We're approaching it like we need a win or we go home."

Couldn't agree with you more Coach!

Adrian Bulldawg Alum

Quote from: oldknight on February 21, 2013, 10:28:38 PM
Quote from: Adrian Bulldawg Alum on February 21, 2013, 09:07:44 PM
What's going on in Calvin right now is despicable!  They have given up...

Adrian inbounded a ball from underneath their hoop with 3 seconds on the shot clock.  An Adrian player (Gallant) got the ball, held it, made no move, after 2 seconds, passed it to a teammate who had 1 second, takes a dribble?!?  Neither was aware of time and/or situation.  That wasn't what made me upset though...

I first noticed it when an Adrian player made a bad pass up top and it went past him and it should've been just an over-and-back violation, but the Adrian guard started jogging and the Calvin player hustled, dove on the floor and got it, and then passed it to a teammate for (another) lay up.  I saw 2 other plays where Adrian players just gave up.  Instead of playing with pride, I saw gutlessness.

I don't say that lately.  I like Adrian,  I cheer for my alma matar, I like Mark White, but I saw what I saw.

I understand your frustration. I can't remember ever seeing a Mark White team actually look beaten but that's what happened tonight. The over and back play exemplified the difference in competitive juices between the two squads. Calvin played about as complete a game as we've seen this year. When the Knights repeatedly get the ball in the blocks to Tyler Kruis, the game just seems to get a lot easier for them. The offense just opens up for everyone. An interesting dynamic played out with Snikkers who--apparently chastened by last week's 11 turnovers--simply refused to try and press the action when there didn't seem to be an opening. Instead, he took what the defense gave him, moved the ball around, and led the team with 6 assists and 0 turnovers. Even if Tom only takes four shots as he did tonight, he can still be a leader by playmaking and rebounding as we observed against the Bulldogs.

Calvin's defense was outstanding, forcing Adrian into being little more than a jump shooting team. Sean Gallant is a very fine post player but I felt sorry for him. Against a team like Calvin he suffered the most from the loss of Adam Meier (who I'm told has a torn ACL) and simply found it impossible to get a shot off inside 15 feet for the first 30 minutes of play. With the Knights also able to hound Barnes and Lewis into 4-17 shooting, Adrian simply had no chance in this one.

I have settled down a little from last night, and though I'm still disappointed, I can reflect on some more things from last night.

First and foremost, congrats and good luck to the Bulldogs who played in their final game last night: Sean Gallant and Cody Barnes.  They both had their ups and downs, but overall, they were 2 of Adrian's most important players and will be missed next year.  I have talked to them both and they were both seemingly good guys.  Barnes averaged 12 points this year and Gallant, with a MIAA player of the week late in the year, averaged 8.6 and 7.  Not bad, especially on the boards.

Gallant did have a tough night.  Calvin's just one of those matchups that is rough for him.  He actually did pretty solidly in the 2nd half after a very rough 1st half.

Tough blow for Adam Meier if he did tear his ACL.  Hopefully it's something he can come back strong from.  Adrian will definetly need him next year.  My first key to a Bulldog's victory was having him in the lineup and him out of it seemed to make Calvin's size advantage insurmountable.

Hopefully Adrian can find some stability, find some chemistry on offense, and work on their shooting ability (sorry, the game last night still has me thinking about consistently missing jump shots).

Adrian Bulldawg Alum

And as always, good luck to the MIAA!

I always cheer for our representatives in the tournament.  I always worked my hardest to beat the top teams like Hope and Calvin (Albion was very good too), but I actually respected and even liked a lot of the players on those teams so it was always easy to cheer for them in the tournament.

I actually want Hope to win in the championship in hopes of having 2 representatives.  With this in mind, I will now break down the top 37 keys for this to happen using Massey, RPI, BPI, CGI, D & D, and WAR.  1...on second thought, I'll leave this to those more knowledgable than myself and let the chips fall where they may.

Go _____________ !

realist

Quote from: GoKnights68 on February 22, 2013, 08:31:26 AM
Does anyone else agree with the Calvin athletic ticket office/department to only be selling tickets to Saturday's game to season ticket holders after the game?  I saw about 25 people waiting in line after the game last night be shewed away from buying a ticket because they weren't season ticket holders and telling them to come back the next day.  Just seemed kind of off considering the arena was 2/3rds empty last night.  I get the notion they are trying to give perks to season ticket holders and I would get it if last night's game was packed, but it seems kind of odd with Calvin's attendance at games never being "ideal" as one would hope.
The key you might be missing is the "seson ticket holder" gets first crack at the tickets for those seats for the MIAA tourney.  Season tickets holders only get that seat if they bought them last night.  Everything else goes in the pot.  I have known season ticket holders who don't attend often, but when they do they have a "choice" seat.  If you can't beat them join them.  Season ticket holders may also get preference for other tickets when they become available.  Like tickets for games at Hope.  I recall in years past that sales to season ticket holders started ahead of the general public.  The season ticket holders get in line right after parents, and some staff members.

You are correct that the MIAA does set the ticket divide.  So home gets xx, and opponent gets xx.  The problem is considerably less today with just 4 yeams in the tournament, and #1, and # 2 hosting semi's.   Even The size of the De Vos has reduced the ticket pressure.  I recall some planning  on how to get tickets for myself and friends in the early days of the MIAA tournament.  Especially when Hope won the MIAAchampionship.  Others can share with you the difficulty in getting tickets in 03-05 when Albion was host.  I recall the Civic being cleared between games when Hope would hosst there.
"If you are catching flack it means you are over the target".  Brietbart.

sac

On that note, attendance at the two semi-final games was terrible.

ziggy

Quote from: sac on February 22, 2013, 03:57:35 PM

I feel like that was generally the case at the Wednesday first round conference tournament games. Despite not "being on the calendar", one would think people could consider it "on the calendar" and do a little planning ahead.

GoKnights68

Safe travels to all going to the finals tomorrow in Grand Rapids.

I think the key for a Knights victory, if I had to put it into simple terms, is for Calvin to prepare accordingly for Hope to put pressure on the ball immediately in the possession and do their best to get the ball down low to Tyler Kruis (And yes I realize he's not the only person that can play down low).  Calvin's offense just looks a lot better when they can get it down low to him effectively.  Will this be the year Calvin finally breaks the streak of Hope ending their season every year since.....ughhhh.....2006?  I hope so.  Go Knights!

Civic Minded

Quote from: ziggy on February 22, 2013, 04:03:05 PM
Quote from: sac on February 22, 2013, 03:57:35 PM

I feel like that was generally the case at the Wednesday first round conference tournament games. Despite not "being on the calendar", one would think people could consider it "on the calendar" and do a little planning ahead.

For whatever reason, many Hope season ticket holders do not attend games past whatever is included in their season ticket package.  Perhaps their Dutchness does not permit them to spring for the extra $5/person after they've paid (6 months ago) for their season tickets?  To quote Erm Schmiggett, "It leaves me scratching my head, but all I get is dandruff."   ;D :o ::) :P
2014 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion  :)

AlwaysHope

On the eve of two Hope/calvin games, I'm reminded of the quote attributed to the late Hope College President, Dr. calvin (what were his parents thinking?) VanderWerf, who asked the burning philosophical question of the day, "What do you call someone who doesn't care who wins the Hope/calvin game?

His answer:  "An Atheist!"

sac

Quote from: AlwaysHope on February 22, 2013, 10:36:59 PM
On the eve of two Hope/calvin games, I'm reminded of the quote attributed to the late Hope College President, Dr. calvin (what were his parents thinking?) VanderWerf, who asked the burning philosophical question of the day, "What do you call someone who doesn't care who wins the Hope/calvin game?

His answer:  "An Atheist!"

It's a big day and I would highly encourage everyone to go see both games.  I'm no women's basketball expert but those two teams sure look like two of the best in the country.

sac

maroonandgold

http://hornets.kzoo.edu/sports/mbkb/2012-13/releases/20130219s73h3j

Kind of a big deal, congrats to Mark.

Not only are congratulations due to him, but after looking at the MIAA statistical leaders sheet at the game on Thursday, I could see a lot of reasons to select him as MVP.  Sure, his team was third from last in the league; but where would they have been without him?  Did any other player have enough of an impact to improve their team's standing by 2 in the standing?  He almost certainly did.  I know the tradition is to select from the winning team.  But if the award means what it says it means he has a strong case in his favor.

hoopdreams

I agree completely M&G. I've never been a fan of the MVP having to come from the more successful team (The Tigers had to make the series in order for Miggy to win MVP....really?) Other other day, I almost posted about Gardner winning it but feared the backlash.  A frosh?  Starter for barely a handful of games?  His play has been fantastic and who really thought that Hope would be playing better, significantly better, without Overway?  Sure, there have been other factors but Ben has been the catalyst.  May even go as far as saying the winner of today's game may be dependant on the baby. 
2013 MIAA Pick em' Champion