WBB: American Southwest Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, March 17, 2005, 02:27:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

calhsu

Weep no tears for Trinity.  Even if they lose Tuesday never count them out.   Kendra Anderson senior year they beat Trinity easily first game and didn't lose another game till they lost to Trinity in the national playoffs.

They may have lost their psche they had over the  ASC all together.  HSU beat they in women's soccer also. 

Borat...NOT

Speaking of the ref, has anyone heard how he is doing?  I was at the game and it was a very scary sight...the arena was silent for almost a half hour. 

As for the basketball, HPU came out the more aggressive and better basketball team.  Trinity had no answer to Meia Daniels and although they fought back halfway through the first half to cut it to a 2pt lead, the result was never in doubt for Howard Payne.  Anytime they needed a basket, they had no problem getting one.  All that being said, I wouldn't count Trinity out for the rest of the year.  They have some things they need to improve on but the talent is there.  Tomorrow night is a huge game for Trinity, does anyone know if there will be live stats or online broadcasting?

thundercat

I don't think anyone is counting out Trinity, nor has anyone said so.  It is very possible that after a tough weekend against some very tough ASC schools that Trinity will regroup and remotivate.  I heard a great quote by Billy Donovan today on ESPN, "If you don't come in everyday with something to prove, then you won't improve."  That may be what happened to Trinity, they didn't feel they had anything to prove, that they should win solely because they are Trinity.  Not so!  If they took advantage of a practice, it could be a slaughter tonight at UMHB.  I would venture to say it will be a hard fought game.  I am very interested to see how UMHB fares.  Now, with all that said, I would like to open up the debate that the ASC is a tougher conference than the SCAC.  Any thoughts?

Ralph Turner

Quote from: thundercat on November 21, 2006, 11:39:30 AM
I don't think anyone is counting out Trinity, nor has anyone said so.  It is very possible that after a tough weekend against some very tough ASC schools that Trinity will regroup and remotivate.  I heard a great quote by Billy Donovan today on ESPN, "If you don't come in everyday with something to prove, then you won't improve."  That may be what happened to Trinity, they didn't feel they had anything to prove, that they should win solely because they are Trinity.  Not so!  If they took advantage of a practice, it could be a slaughter tonight at UMHB.  I would venture to say it will be a hard fought game.  I am very interested to see how UMHB fares.  Now, with all that said, I would like to open up the debate that the ASC is a tougher conference than the SCAC.  Any thoughts?

The SCAC debate is a good one.  DePauw and Trinity are the cream of the SCAC.  Trinity has a national Championship in 2003 and Depauw easily dispatched a Kendra Anderson-led HSU team 84-60 in the Elite 8 in 2002.  So, this decade, the SCAC has 2 different Final Four teams and a National Champion and the ASC only HSU.  Advantage/SCAC.

In 2004, HSU lost in the Elite 8, DePauw in the second round.  Advantage HSU/SCAC.

In 2005, HPU lost in Brownwood to Trinity in the first round of the playoffs.  Advantage Trinity/SCAC.

In 2006, the Final Top 25 had DePauw #5, HSU #7, McMurry #18, HPU #22.  Probably a wash.  The ASC had 16 teams; the SCAC 10.

thundercat

Just to clear up any misunderstandings, I was not referring to debating the past.  I am well aware of the accomplishments of Trinity and Depauw as well as HSU.  My statement goes to beginning the debate for this year.  And yes, I know, we can't tell much thus far in the season and will continue to find more out as the season progresses, but wanted to put the thought out there.

Ralph Turner

Ralph Turner

Ralph Turner

This is incredible!

One in-region losses--

Hardin-Simmons
UMHB

Two in-region losses--

Trinity

The hard thing for incoming freshmen to understand is that an in-region loss hurts you when it comes to the playoffs.   This is not high school where 3 teams from an a 6-team conference get in.  There are only 19 Pool C (at-large) bids to go around for 39 D3 conferences!!!

The way it looks now, Trinity must win the SCAC to get to the Tourney, because those 2 in-region losses are going to hurt in the regional rankings.  Pool C just got farther beyond their reach!  Look at what HSU and HPU and Trinity had for records, even by early February.

The take-home lesson for you McMurry and you HPU players as well, is the HSU just got their wake-up call.  They are already one loss behind McMurry and HPU in South Region records.  Can you imagine that HSU bus ride back from Southwestern tonight?  Southwestern!  You cannot take them lightly any more.  They may be the new SCAC power in the State!

The conference had better imagine that they are hearing that same "motivational' lecture that the Cowgirls heard tonight, because they are coming for you!

For you McMurry! For you HPU!  And you UMHB and everyone else!

This is going to be fun! :)

mcmfan

Ralph,
I find it a bit hard to follow your logic.  HSU lost in OT with some key players out with injuries.  It's a non-conference game.  And you think that might affect their chances for the playoffs?  Last year they got knocked out of the conference tournament early, and they still got a bid to the playoffs -- and went to the Final Four.  For the NCAA to not give them a Pool C bid with their reputation and last year's record, it seems to me they would need to lose a lot more games than this one.  This is probably the best of all possible worlds: a non-conference loss early in the season to concentrate everyone's minds for the games that count.
What is interesting is what the score says about Southwestern.  Weren't the Tigers pretty much also-rans last year?  What has changed for this year in Georgetown?
Alacumba!

Ralph Turner

Quote from: mcmfan on November 22, 2006, 08:10:26 AM
Ralph,
I find it a bit hard to follow your logic.  HSU lost in OT with some key players out with injuries.  It's a non-conference game.  And you think that might affect their chances for the playoffs?  Last year they got knocked out of the conference tournament early, and they still got a bid to the playoffs -- and went to the Final Four.  For the NCAA to not give them a Pool C bid with their reputation and last year's record, it seems to me they would need to lose a lot more games than this one.  This is probably the best of all possible worlds: a non-conference loss early in the season to concentrate everyone's minds for the games that count.
What is interesting is what the score says about Southwestern.  Weren't the Tigers pretty much also-rans last year?  What has changed for this year in Georgetown?

Good morning, mcmfan!  Have a happy Thanksgiving!

I have not perused the box score.  Which key HSU players are injured or out?

The in-region loss to Southwestern will be a key factor in Pool C and in seedings.

DePauw is the heavy favorite in the SCAC again this year.  So, I am thinking that Southwestern is actually competing for a Pool C, barring the upset of DePauw.  Southwestern has a relatively new coach from Wisconsin, Pam Ruder, a 1984 UW-Whitewater grad.

Southwestern hosts a big tourney in late December.

McM plays UW-Stout while Southwestern plays Concordia IL.  All four games are in-region.  The winner of that tourney will have cleared an impressive hurdle.

I don't know how deep the 19 Pool C bids are this year.  We have only one year's experience with that many Pool C bids.  While I think that Texas is one of 5 Women's hot beds for D3 Hoops, (we got 3 Pool C bids last year--HPU, Trinity and HSU), I want another years experience.

The hotbeds (IMHO) Maine, Midwest (think Big Ten) , eastern Pennsylvania and Wisconsin.

pirateonthebrazos

6'1 post Jenni Hobbs did not suit up due to a back problem.  Shooting guard Lyssa Dennard played only about 6 minutes battling a flu bug.  Forward Shelby Hodges battled early foul trouble, she picked up her 4 th foul with 12 minutes left and had to sit.  6'1 post Melissa Contrucci fouled out with about 4 minutes to go HSU had only one starter on the floor for the last 4 minutes of the regular game and all of overtime and still nearly pulled it out. 
Hand it to Southwestern they got after us pretty good.  they hit some three's that got em back in the game and from then on the game was on against the depleted Cowgirls.
No excuses or whining from us...it was just one of those nights. 

Ralph Turner

Pirate, +1, thanks for the report!

mcm#1fan

Ralph, what is the score of the MCM game? Can't get the radio play by play on the web site!

fanstand

mcm ladies up 44-36 6 minutes left. symbri already broke record, coach subbing freely, playing well, but lots of fouls and turnovers, both ways.

fanstand

whoops 39-29 5 minutes left, somehow missed the score