Rank the Mideast Region

Started by Spence, March 17, 2013, 06:51:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billy Chapel

The new Regional/Super Regional set up is exciting. Curious how they determine the hosts for each Regional?

old scot

Ok. Someone needs to say this. Is Wooster worthy of being in the tourney. They don"t have many quality wins over mid east opponents. Bad loses in conference to Witt and Kenyon. They did go 3-2 against Denison.

Can't believe they made it, hosting, and number 1 seed. do you think they threw one to Pettorini.

ADL70

Quote from: old scot on May 15, 2019, 08:04:23 PM
Ok. Someone needs to say this. Is Wooster worthy of being in the tourney. They don"t have many quality wins over mid east opponents. Bad loses in conference to Witt and Kenyon. They did go 3-2 against Denison.

Can't believe they made it, hosting, and number 1 seed. do you think they threw one to Pettorini.

In terms of W/L the  Wooster pod is a bit weak.  Ott and Rochester are in by winning their conferences.  CWRU and Wooster had strong SoS.  Wooster's W/L % of .684 is best in the pod.

Every team in the Adrian pod has a better W/L% than Wooster. An argument could certainly be made that Denison and Adrian with W/L %s over .800 should have been the two #1 seeds in the ME SR. I think that I read somewhere that Denison did not apply to host, but is there a rule that the host must be the #1 seed?
SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

Pops33

Denison's graduation is Saturday May 18th, so they most likely did not apply to host.  I believe that they are still the #1 seed at the Adrian Regional.  The selection committees have put emphasis on SoS for many years and they obviously rewarded both CWRU and Wooster for being #4 and #6 in the country in SoS.  Also, Wooster won the winner's bracket in the conference tourney and if they had pulled off one more victory, would they have been the overall #1 team in the Regional Rankings?  They ended up #3 behind both Denison and Heidelberg (https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/baseball/d3/regional-rankings).  If so, then they absolutely deserve to be in the tourney and host.  I think there are some nationally that like Pettorini and some that wouldn't hesitate to put the screws to him.  For instance, in 2015 they finished 36-9 and were not selected for regionals even though they had the #1 scoring offense in the country and had more wins than just about anyone else in the country.  They were told it was basically due to their SoS.  Lesson learned and now they are in, and beat the #1 team in the region 3 out of 5 times.

Regarding the regional pairings - as the d3baseball.com staff has already noted, it appears that the selection committee is keeping more teams in region this year.  With that being the case, in the Mideast Region, they also separated the conference foes.  Heidelberg is geographically closer to Adrian than Otterbein, and Wooster is hosting so Denison also went to Adrian.  Other than that if you are moving Rochester into the Mideast, they are much closer to Wooster.  The two left are LaRoche and Case, which are both closer to Wooster than Adrian.  Who knows the reasoning in this one unless you want the CWRU-Wooster matchup.  Also, LaRoche was in the Adrian regional last year so there is some familiarity.  The seedings based on the regional rankings are also a little off center with Adrian having the 1,2,4 and 8 ranked teams in the region and Wooster hosting the 3, 5, 9 from the Mideast and 8 ranked team from the New York region. 

What's done is done and I am ready for some great post-season baseball.

Billy Chapel

If Denison didn't want to host, that makes more sense. The Heidelberg v Wooster one still doesn't. They're ranked higher in the region, then ranked lower in the regionals. Hmm. Does sort of sound like they threw Coach P a going away bone there. Nonetheless, Wooster was certainly deserving of getting a bid. Side note, would have loved to see Baldwin Wallace and Danny Cody in one of these regionals.

Pops33

Me too.  The OAC teams have seen him, of course, but it would be interesting to see the out-of conference matchups against other Mideast Region schools. 

The starter most likely going for Rochester threw a no hitter in the opening round of their conference tourney. So that could make things even more interesting.
Everyone has pretty good pitching and hitting at this point.  It usually boils down to whatever team gets hot at the right time.

Dr. Acula

Quote from: old scot on May 15, 2019, 08:04:23 PM

I'll bite.  I thought they absolutely should be in.  I thought the only way they'd host is if the 1 seed declined.  I thought that because I don't think they deserved a 1 seed.  And I definitely don't think they deserved the 1 seed in the "easier" regional.  If I'm being honest their draw is the draw I would have expected if they were 32-6 and won the NCAC tourney not 26-12 runners-up.  Is that throwing Coach P a softball on his way out?  I doubt that.  I think it's just how the chips fell.  I'm just happy our SR contains almost exclusively ME teams.  Lots of familiar names which makes it more fun IMO. 

Jim Dixon

Well I am already on the record of having Wooster out of the playoffs.  We had Baldwin-Wallace blocking them.  I do not know how the NCAA went but when it came to comparing Baldwin-Wallace and Ramapo, there have hardly been two similar looking teams with Ramapo getting the slightest of an edge.  I expect the regional rankings we used were different than the ones the NCAA used which explains how Wooster and Baldwin-Wallace is in and Ramapo is not.

Jack Parkman

Plenty of debate regarding Wooster but they sure didn't show anything to change the mind of those who didn't think they deserved a spot.

Pops33

According to the announcers it was the dreaded soft tossing lefty that did them in.  Wooster certainly didn't instill confidence that the selection committee made the right choice.  Wooster's starter, Hill, and the reliever, Linde, pitched a heck of a game only allowing 2 runs, both on a 2 run HR in the 3rd inning.  Their offense definitely did not show up today.

ADL70

Speaking of pitchers, the announcers also said that Cards will again start Hoffman vs CWRU.
SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

old scot

Woo needs to come up big in the losers bracket. Don't think they have the pitching to make it all the way. Better get those bats hot to out slug the opponents. That is Pettorini's MO. We will try to beat you with offense.

old scot

Jim Dixon and Jack Parkman. Kudo's to you. Don't think Woo was worthy of a bid. Time will tell.

Billy Chapel

Great to see the ME get off to such a great start today. BW, Franklin and WJ all getting big non-region wins on day 1. BW appears to have the arms to really make a run.

Billy Chapel

Wow. Just tuned in for the end of that Heidelberg vs Denison game. Denison lead off the bottom of the 9th with an HBP down 2-1, the HP umpire ruled it a foul ball?? Hate to see that.