MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbfan44

And One  any detail on the Summer League, or would we need to call Elmhurst and Benedictine for specifics?

AndOne

bbfan44-

From what I understand the open gym/pick-up style games are mostly organized by the players themselves. BU and EC basically just allow the kids to use their gyms. Accordingly, the games are not "sponsored" by the schools. Additionally, NCAA rules prohibit coaches from doing anything but observing during the off-season. No coaching allowed. As such, historically, its pretty rare for a head coach to even show up at a summer league game. They are more likely to spend their time at high school summer tournaments looking for prospects rather than watching players already in their programs. For the aforementioned reasons, I'm not sure calling either Benedictine or Elmhurst would do you much good.

Last Wed I went to the White Sox game with my son or I would have been observing at Benedictine. I had planned to go to Elmhurst tonight, but learned that for some reason, its an off night. Maybe things will work out next week. If so, I'll try to relate some highlights. In the meantime, if you learn anything, let us know.

Titan Q

http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2014-06-13/big-ten-sets-attendance-mark-conference-again-leads-nation

In Division III, the eight teams of the College Conference of Illinois & Wisconsin edged the Michigan Intercollegiate to end its streak of 22 consecutive conference attendance bests. The CCIW averaged 744 fans a game to the MIAA's 702.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Titan Q on June 18, 2014, 10:53:21 PM
http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2014-06-13/big-ten-sets-attendance-mark-conference-again-leads-nation

In Division III, the eight teams of the College Conference of Illinois & Wisconsin edged the Michigan Intercollegiate to end its streak of 22 consecutive conference attendance bests. The CCIW averaged 744 fans a game to the MIAA's 702.

I'll say the same thing here that I said on the MIAA board:

Quote from: Gregory Sager on June 19, 2014, 07:21:19 PM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on June 18, 2014, 11:45:42 PM
Other MIAA fan bases are gonna have to step it up - Hope can't do it all.

Hope easily won the attendance title for the 22nd consecutive season, by 658 pg over Wooster, but the MIAA's 12-year reign for conferences came crashing down, as the CCIW beat them by a healthy margin, 744 to 702, despite IWU being the conference leader at a 'mere' 1333 (4th in D3, to Hope's 2,459).  Subtract Hope from the MIAA total and IWU from the CCIW total, and the CCIW would be 660 for the other seven, the MIAA would be 395 for the others.  And attendance at the Hope @ Calvin game was 4800 - even that 395 drops precipitously if you remove that one game. 

Adrian, Albion, Alma, Kalamazoo, Olivet, Trine and even Calvin (when playing anyone other than Hope) have got to step up their promotion!

Much ado about nothing, Chuck. Men's basketball attendance has been going down for years, both in the MIAA and the CCIW. This is nothing to brag about.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

AndOne

Quote from: AndOne on June 18, 2014, 10:29:40 PM
bbfan44-

From what I understand the open gym/pick-up style games are mostly organized by the players themselves. BU and EC basically just allow the kids to use their gyms. Accordingly, the games are not "sponsored" by the schools. Additionally, NCAA rules prohibit coaches from doing anything but observing during the off-season. No coaching allowed. As such, historically, its pretty rare for a head coach to even show up at a summer league game. They are more likely to spend their time at high school summer tournaments looking for prospects rather than watching players already in their programs. For the aforementioned reasons, I'm not sure calling either Benedictine or Elmhurst would do you much good.

Last Wed I went to the White Sox game with my son or I would have been observing at Benedictine. I had planned to go to Elmhurst tonight, but learned that for some reason, its an off night. Maybe things will work out next week. If so, I'll try to relate some highlights. In the meantime, if you learn anything, let us know.

Does anyone know if Augie, Carthage, or North Park are playing in Deerfield this summer?

Gregory Sager

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

AndOne

NCC RECRUIT

Erwin Henry, a 6'2" 185 pound combo guard from Chicago Whitney Young, will attend North Central.
Erwin was a starter on the 2014 Illinois Class 4A State Championship Young team, and averaged 7.6 ppg, and 2.3 rpg. He shot 41.3% from three, and 77.6% from the line.
He was Young's 4th leading scorer and rebounder, the top three signing with Duke, Georgetown, and St. Louis.

Titan Q

Todd Kelly, currently an assistant at North Central and formerly a player at Millikin, was named head coach at Illinois Tech.

Naperick

newCCIWfan

Another CCIW coach moving on. TJ Caughell, formerly the Associate Head Coach for Matt Nadelhoffer at Millikin has been named Head Coach at Tacoma Community College in Tacoma, Wa.

Here is a link in case anyone is interested:  http://www.tacomacc.edu/newsandevents/campusnews/?storyid=4818

Titan Q

If you get a chance, throw a vote to IWU's Nick Anderson as the favorite 2013-14 Elite 89 award winner...

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/honoring-achievement-and-field

AndOne

Quote from: Titan Q on July 07, 2014, 09:58:51 PM
If you get a chance, throw a vote to IWU's Nick Anderson as the favorite 2013-14 Elite 89 award winner...

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/honoring-achievement-and-field

Would be nice to see a D3 guy get it as opposed to a big school player who often basks in the limelight.

AndOne

Quote from: Titan Q on June 29, 2014, 03:42:55 PM
Todd Kelly, currently an assistant at North Central and formerly a player at Millikin, was named head coach at Illinois Tech.
Quote from: Naperick on July 01, 2014, 08:38:17 PM
Best of luck to coach Kelly!

As Professor Sager recently reminded me, Illinois Tech has three more school years, including this coming one, that it will have to spend in the provisional pipeline before it becomes a full (i.e., postseason-eligible) member of D3.

Full status will thus be attained in the 2017-18 school year.

Accordingly, let me be the first to congratulate Coach Kelly in advance for winning the 2018 Walnut & Bronze.  ;)   

AndOne

2014-15 NCC NON-CONFERENCE SCHEDULE

Nov 21-22  NCC Tip Off Tourney--with UW-Whitewater, Bluffton, & Trinity. No matchups yet.
       25 Aurora
       29 @ UW-Stevens Point

Dec 4 @ Pamona Pitzer College (CA)
      6 @ Redlands College (CA
      12-13 @ Juniata College (PA) Tourney---NCC, Dickinson, Penn St-York, & Juniata. Matchups not set yet.
      17 @ Benedictine
      27 @ Mt. Union (OH) Tourney Vs. Olivet
      28 @ Mt. Union (OH) Tourney Vs. Adrian

Spanning the globe in December.  :-\