3. Middlebury
4. Hamilton
5. Amherst
6. Colby
7. Bowdoin
8. Conn College

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuFSWcNe8hY

nescac1

Yeah, I'd be pretty stunned if Conn College squeezes into the NESCAC playoffs, but hey, anything is possible. 

Boston Globe does a Q&A with the Ephs' Matt Karpowicz:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/globelocal/2019/01/09/williams-wellesley-matt-karpowicz-talks-and-plays-good-game/poExNwpbvvMssVvRtBPgTJ/story.html

middhoops

Much as I love to follow my team, it's nearly impossible to stay away from the Hamilton/Wesleyan game at the same time tonight.
Hamilton is a well oiled machine and deservedly highly ranked.  Wesleyan is scary athletic and improving steadily. 
Gilmour and Hutcherson are players I love to watch. 
Not that after last Saturday I particularly want to watch Mr. Hutcherson go off in Pepin Gym again anytime soon. 

Another game on my 'must watch' list is next Wednesday when the Ephs go into LeFrak.  If Williams comes out of there with a win (and man, that's hard to do) they could run the table until sometime in March.

It may only be 9 degrees where we are, still January is one of my favorite months, even in Vermont.  That unfortunate part of the year that lacks college hoops is such a long, slow grind. 

middhoops

Apologies for hogging the page.
The Bates announcers.  LOVE 'em.
Not sure how good the game actually is, but listening to this broadcast is reminiscent of Johnny Most (minus the rasp) in his hey day.
Midd is up 10 on some hot 3 pt. shooting and the presence of Max Bosco.
Bates has played gritty basketball throughout.  Fun team to watch.
Alumni Gym is on my short bucket list.  Might need to beg Old Guy to accompany Vandy74 and me to that shrine.

middhoops

Wesleyan catches Hamilton down the stretch like Dave Wottle in the 1972 Olympic 800 meters. 
Epic.

amh63

yelp, Middhoops......watched the last few Minutes of the game as Hamilton has to foul to get the ball back...about 20 plus seconds to go and down 4.  Two cardinals fouled and both hit their foul shots....game to the Cardinals.  Hamilton had more rebounds....but deceiving number since Hamilton given more team rebounds!
Amherst heads into Middletown on Sat.  Amherst wins in New London by 20 plus...even with Conn's 7 footer in the game.  Should be an interesting game.

nescac1

Wesleyan just looks better and better as the season progresses  it seems.  Hutcherson is an all-American right now.  Another huge game for the Cards tomorrow against an Amherst team on a major roll.

Easy win for the Ephs over Tufts despite a somnambulant opening to the game.  Williams had tremendous balance and shot the lights out from deep (70 percent from three!).  Henry Feinberg was the player of the game with terrific defense and strong shooting, his best game of the season. Marc Taylor continues to be lights out off the bench in limited minutes and is making the case for a bigger role if he can keep knocking em down.  Only two unbeatens left in D3 and Ephs are one of them so can't ask for anything more!

Tufts is not a good team right now but have some pieces to work with and should be much better next season. Savage had a great game today and Rogers has the best post footwork in Nescac other than Karp.  They need more initiators / playmakers as most of their dudes just want to launch it from deep.  Oppenheim would be an all crazy guy in days of yore.  Oddly effective on defense due to his torso. 

Old Guy

Quote from: middhoops on January 11, 2019, 07:43:04 PM
Not sure how good the game actually is, but listening to this broadcast is reminiscent of Johnny Most (minus the rasp) in his hey day.
Alumni Gym is on my short bucket list.  Might need to beg Old Guy to accompany Vandy74 and me to that shrine.

I try never to pass up a Midd-Bates game at the shrine, where I developed my love of the game as a kid (grew up at Bates). Stayed home in VT to have a birthday dinner with Old Girl (not a name she particularly likes). She's very tolerant — we followed the game from the restaurant. I told her that my hope was for a Midd win but a good showing by the Bobcats & got my birthday wish. Child #4, a junior at Bates, was at the game, sending texts.

I'll watch every minute of the Midd-Tufts contest tomorrow with some local Midd hoop pals: to watch these NESCAC games on the big screen, with the computer hooked up to the tv, is a great joy, never thought I'd see the day — it's better, way better, than Duke-UNC.

Glad Wes knocked off the Continentals as it takes a little of the sting out of Midd's 3 point loss to the Cards last weekend. Hamilton couldn't stop Hutcherson either. He's something! And the rest of the Wes team is certainly formidable physically.

Transcendently beautiful day here in central VT, the day after a snowfall, brilliant clear sky, which means it's very cold, -5 right now. It's always warm in the gym, a redeeming aspect of life in the Northeast.

Colby Hoops

Quote from: middhoops on January 11, 2019, 07:43:04 PM

The Bates announcer is great. Loved him earlier this season when watching the Colby-Bates game. Also Alumni Gym is the best. Always said I would have loved to play 25 away games at Alumni Gym every year. Such a great passionate fan base, and the place is always at (probably beyond!) capacity for big games. I think eventually they had the fire marshall start coming to games to turn people away when it got too crowded.

middhoops

Today is the day we find out how good Amherst is. 
Historically, doubters learn that Hixon has his troops more ready than expected after playing an early schedule of (mostly home) games against lackluster competition.
Amherst has more shooters.  Wesleyan has, well, Austin Hutcherson and plenty of basketball talent.  Coach Hixon will open some eyes if he finds a defensive tactic to slow down the sophomore.  I'll wait for nescac1 to outline Hutcherson's recent stats at some point.  Some scary stats.
If Amherst can win at Middletown, those who complain about Hixon's scheduling strategy will be quieted.  Should Wesleyan win big, the chorus may resume.
D3 ranking poll voters will be watching this game closely.

amh63

It's getting cloudy now and the expected snow will arrive this evening and forecast has it going into Sunday.  Somewhat conflicted.  My wife and I are to attend a recital starting at 5 PM.  Old friends' son playing...my wife was a music major and a former Piano teacher, etc., etc.  Big games today with Wesleyan starting at 3PM.  Should leave house NLT 4:15 pm.  Yesterday's games with Conn went fast...announcer stated that the WBB game finished in just over a hour....though both games were "Over" much sooner.
Will follow the example of Old Guy...support family matters.
Last year, the games with the Little Three opponents....both home and away...are not easing my mind but are revealing.  First, Wesleyan won both games against Amherst.  The game at Amherst...the one that counted in the standings...was a 5 point win by the Cardinals.  Wesleyan won the game in Middletown by double digits.  Amherst won the home stand game with Williams by 5 and lost the away game. 
Today's game with Wesleyan is the one that counts in the Nescac standings...ugh.  Hope the game today will not be determined by fouls.  Wes seems to be a better foul shooting team.  Fingers crossed.

ContinentalDomer

From Middletown:  Hamilton played a great first half, taking a nine point lead into the break, largely on second shots (9-2 advantage on the offensive glass) and tough defense.  With 5:41 left in the game, Hamilton led 60-54.  During the next 2 minutes and 20 seconds or so, Hutcherson knocked down three 3's and drew an and-one.  He outscored Hamilton 12-1, and Wes led by 5. Hutcherson is a phenomenal player who put his signature on a tough, physical game. Wes made 22 of 23 FTs along the way. Next stop New London.

Quote from: nescac1 on January 11, 2019, 09:12:12 PM
Wesleyan just looks better and better as the season progresses  it seems.  Hutcherson is an all-American right now.  Another huge game for the Cards tomorrow against an Amherst team on a major roll.

Easy win for the Ephs over Tufts despite a somnambulant opening to the game.  Williams had tremendous balance and shot the lights out from deep (70 percent from three!).  Henry Feinberg was the player of the game with terrific defense and strong shooting, his best game of the season. Marc Taylor continues to be lights out off the bench in limited minutes and is making the case for a bigger role if he can keep knocking em down.  Only two unbeatens left in D3 and Ephs are one of them so can't ask for anything more!

Tufts is not a good team right now but have some pieces to work with and should be much better next season. Savage had a great game today and Rogers has the best post footwork in Nescac other than Karp.  They need more initiators / playmakers as most of their dudes just want to launch it from deep.  Oppenheim would be an all crazy guy in days of yore.  Oddly effective on defense due to his torso.

toad22

I'm up in chilly Lewiston to watch the Bates/Williams game. Looking forward to seeing the refurbed gym. I understand they had to put a new floor in because the wood on the old floor was about worn through!

grabtherim

The Bates gym is a classic.  Nothing better especially when the students are at the far end giving the visiting team a hard time. It was empty there last night, guessing the kids are still on break.  The Bates announcer is just plain fun and a fantastic listen, more a radio call on TV than a TV call, lots of detail, but no complaint from me.  I found him entertaining as can be.  What I always remember walking out of that gym after a loud couple of hours and a tough game, was the contrast of the dead quiet silence of a cold Maine night as soon as the door closed behind you.  A great college hoops experience.   

middhoops

Halftime on a NESCAC Saturday.
Pity Conn College; they get Hamilton the day after.
Midd heating up late in the half to lead Tufts by 6.
Wes holds Amherst to 18 first half points.  The Cards are up 13 and Austin Hutcherson has been limited to 2 points.  Gulp.
Bates playing tough.  Up 7 on Williams.  The Ephs have turned the ball over a bunch in the first half.  I already miss Bates' announcer dude.