MBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association

Started by sac, February 19, 2005, 11:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggy

Let's spectate (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

HOPEful

Quote from: oldknight on March 07, 2017, 03:25:23 PM
... I also haven't heard a Calvin fan use a four letter word when a hyphenated eight letter one is available...
This one made me chuckle. Does that make me a chuckle-head too?
Let's go Dutchmen!

2015-2016 1-&-Done Tournament Fantasy League Co-Champion

MaroonKnighty

Quote from: drosselmeyer on March 07, 2017, 02:01:28 PM
Quote from: wiz on March 05, 2017, 05:55:00 PM
Quote from: Dutch_Man on March 04, 2017, 11:19:08 PM

Glad we haven't heard the chant "Where's your banner" in a while... It is that very chant that makes me smile when Calvin bows out in the first round...
That's the spirit!  Way to go Dutch_Man.  A Christian smile, I presume.

However, your carry the banner still today for those people from 2.18.2015, you should be proud of yourself. :'(

I'm sure wiz is more proud of the two other banners.....

wiz

So flattered with the attention but we really should stay focused on more important issues, like who is hosting.  Hopefully, soon we can begin a spirited conversation about the best hotels in Salem.  Go Hope!

gordonmann

I'll be at the Hope sectional this weekend, if anyone wants to stop by and say hello. It'll be my fourth time to DeVos but first when Hope is playing. :)

Gregory Sager

That is definitely the Weird Fact of the Week, Gordo. :D
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: gordonmann on March 07, 2017, 05:43:45 PM
I'll be at the Hope sectional this weekend, if anyone wants to stop by and say hello. It'll be my fourth time to DeVos but first when Hope is playing. :)

Ironically... I've been to Hope for four games (one was exhibition)... and Hope wasn't there, either.

And I will be at Marietta this weekend, but it won't be my first trip... it will be the first time I see the home team player there. LOL

Sometimes our luck goes the other way this time of year LOL.

BTW - Gordon will barely fit in wearing his Tigers cap. ;)
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Dutch_Man

Looking at the Hope/Hanvor match-up.... It appears Hanover shoots a pretty well from the field (51.1%)... solid from downtown with 6.7 3's per game at 37% which is a touch below Hope's 8.8 3's per game at 37%. It appears Hope and Hanover's heights match up fairly evenly as well...

I haven't seen any film or anything like that on Hanover but my gut says it will be a similar match-up as the Hope/Oshkosh game... a game of solid guard play and good shooting. (how profound!)

Has anyone taken a deeper look? What's missing?

I will be interested to see if Hope's hot shooting continues into the second weekend...
Against Oskkosh - 49.2% FG and 11 3's at 40.7%
Against WashU - 50% FG and 16 3's at 55.2%
These are well above their season average...

sac

Hope Sectional

Offensive efficiency or Points per possession
Hope             1.12
Hanover        1.12
Augustana    1.11
Wartburg      1.13

These are season averages, Wartburg has been around 1.2 in its last 7 games.  Otherwise these four teams score at about the same rate which you would expect at this point in the tournament.  All 4 in the top half of remaining NCAA field.

Deffensive efficiency
Hope             .995
Hanvoer        .962
Augustana    1.02
Wartburg      1.04

I misspoke last week about the defensive numbers.  Hope, Augustana and Wartburg are  3 of the lowest rated defenses remaining in the field (ie they give up alot of points easily), Hanover is just about in the middle.    It might just be regional differences in opponents though, a debate for another time.

Pace or possessions per game
Hope             72.9
Hanover        69.4
Augustana    70.2
Wartburg      75.2

There's not much here that you'll notice in terms of style other than maybe Wartburg pushes the ball up court a bit more and Augie and Hanover probably try to play in control.    Interesting note all the "slow" teams are out of the tournament, Hanover and Augie are just about the slowest two teams remaining and I probably wouldn't really call them "slow".

Four Factors

eFG%          Off             Def
Hope                53.8                  50.6
Hanover           57.2                  48.0
Augustana       53.6                  50.1
Wartburg         54.9                  51.1

The difference between these four and last weeks pod is really on the defensive end where these teams are much more "suspect".  All 4 can really score, I would think we might see some higher scoring games.

Rebounding
          %Off rebounds   Opp%Off rebounds

Hope          32.6            32.7
Hanover     30.9            24.5
Augustana 33.8            31.4
Wartburg   29.6            32.3

I don't have full field numbers but to my amateur eye I don't think any of these teams are what you might call good rebounding squads.  Hanover's probably really good at not allowing offensive rebounds but that's really the only thing that stands out here.   Also note Augustana is probably better than these numbers might indicate since they play in a league with more typically larger bodies.

FT Rate
Hope            35.7             32.5
Hanover       39.2             26.0
Augustana   36.2             34.1
Wartburg     43.4             34.2

All 4 of these teams get to the line really well, with Wartburg probably near the top of the remaining NCAA field.  Hanover does a good job keeping opponents off the line.    Augie-Wartburg might turn into a real FT contest.

Turnover Rate or Turnover per possession
                      TO rate          Opp TO rate          Margin

Hope                      16.8                22.0                    5.21  (2nd best remaining in NCAA field)
Hanover                 18.1                17.2                    -.91
Augustana             17.8                19.4                     1.61
Wartburg               15.6                19.1                     3.41

Hanover has a negative turnover rate margin but only slightly but Hope is well above, that could be trouble for Hanover.  Wartburg and Augustana are both pretty good at creating turnovers and Wartburg is 3rd best and protecting the ball in the remaining field. 

Much like last week a really well balanced pod, there isn't a clear difference between teams.   Hanover's been solid all year and won numerous close games while Hope and Augie kind of stumbled across the finish line and regained their balance last weekend.  Wartburg has been on fire the last 3 weeks and is coming off probably the two most impressive performances from last weekend.

I might stick with the teams from the stronger conferences which means Augustana over Wartburg,  maybe Hope over Hanover but I'm not really sure you can call the MIAA definitively better than the HCAC this year.  But man, Wartburg is tearing things up with efficiency number of 1.20 offensive and .99 defensive in their last 7 games, dark horse to advance maybe but they sure are playing good basketball.  Straight up efficiency is a slight advantage to Hope, factor in schedule strength and it swings to a slight Augustana advantage.

Overall this is probably a toss-up sectional and maybe the favorite holds the home court advantage.  I'm down with that, but any four of these teams could advance and it probably would not be a big surprise  (in the grand scheme Wartburg would be a surprise but not the way they've been playing).

Should be another good weekend of games at DeVos.

sac

One notable trivia item.   Wartburg gives up a lot of 3 point attempts.

Flying Dutch Fan

Another stat comparison - this is Hope and Hanover based on common opponents this season:

Offense % 2pt% 3pt  % FT
Hope 42.934.2  73
Hanover 46.233.9  68.8
------
Defense % 2pt% 3pt 
Hope 45.636.1 
Hanover 46.642.4 
------
Rebounding TeamOpp  Margin
Hope 3639  -3
Hanover 30.740.3  -9.6
------
Scoring TeamOpp  Margin
Hope 81.269  12.2
Hanover 77.379  -1.7
------
3 point shooting Made/game
Hope 8.4
Hanover 7
------
Ball Control Blks/gameStl/game  TO/Game
Hope 3.410.4  10.8
Hanover 3.314.3
------
Assists Per GameA/TO 
Hope 11.81.09 
Hanover 13.30.93 
------
Vs. Opponents AlmaJCU  WashU
Hope 3 - 01 - 0  1 - 0
Hanover 1 - 01 - 0  0 - 1
------
Record vs common
Hope 5 - 0
Hanover 2 - 1
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

Dutch_Man

Quote from: Dutch_Man on March 08, 2017, 10:55:01 AM
Looking at the Hope/Hanvor match-up.... It appears Hanover shoots a pretty well from the field (51.1%)... solid from downtown with 6.7 3's per game at 37% which is a touch below Hope's 8.8 3's per game at 37%. It appears Hope and Hanover's heights match up fairly evenly as well...

I haven't seen any film or anything like that on Hanover but my gut says it will be a similar match-up as the Hope/Oshkosh game... a game of solid guard play and good shooting. (how profound!)

I will be interested to see if Hope's hot shooting continues into the second weekend...
Against Oskkosh - 49.2% FG and 11 3's at 40.7%
Against WashU - 50% FG and 16 3's at 55.2%
These are well above their season average...

Quote from: sac on March 08, 2017, 10:57:17 AM
Hope Sectional

Offensive efficiency or Points per possession
Hope             1.12
Hanover        1.12
Augustana    1.11
Wartburg      1.13

These are season averages, Wartburg has been around 1.2 in its last 7 games.  Otherwise these four teams score at about the same rate which you would expect at this point in the tournament.  All 4 in the top half of remaining NCAA field.

Deffensive efficiency
Hope             .995
Hanvoer        .962
Augustana    1.02
Wartburg      1.04

I misspoke last week about the defensive numbers.  Hope, Augustana and Wartburg are  3 of the lowest rated defenses remaining in the field (ie they give up alot of points easily), Hanover is just about in the middle.    It might just be regional differences in opponents though, a debate for another time.

Pace or possessions per game
Hope             72.9
Hanover        69.4
Augustana    70.2
Wartburg      75.2

There's not much here that you'll notice in terms of style other than maybe Wartburg pushes the ball up court a bit more and Augie and Hanover probably try to play in control.    Interesting note all the "slow" teams are out of the tournament, Hanover and Augie are just about the slowest two teams remaining and I probably wouldn't really call them "slow".

Four Factors

eFG%          Off             Def
Hope                53.8                  50.6
Hanover           57.2                  48.0
Augustana       53.6                  50.1
Wartburg         54.9                  51.1

The difference between these four and last weeks pod is really on the defensive end where these teams are much more "suspect".  All 4 can really score, I would think we might see some higher scoring games.

Rebounding
          %Off rebounds   Opp%Off rebounds

Hope          32.6            32.7
Hanover     30.9            24.5
Augustana 33.8            31.4
Wartburg   29.6            32.3

I don't have full field numbers but to my amateur eye I don't think any of these teams are what you might call good rebounding squads.  Hanover's probably really good at not allowing offensive rebounds but that's really the only thing that stands out here.   Also note Augustana is probably better than these numbers might indicate since they play in a league with more typically larger bodies.

FT Rate
Hope            35.7             32.5
Hanover       39.2             26.0
Augustana   36.2             34.1
Wartburg     43.4             34.2

All 4 of these teams get to the line really well, with Wartburg probably near the top of the remaining NCAA field.  Hanover does a good job keeping opponents off the line.    Augie-Wartburg might turn into a real FT contest.

Turnover Rate or Turnover per possession
                      TO rate          Opp TO rate          Margin

Hope                      16.8                22.0                    5.21  (2nd best remaining in NCAA field)
Hanover                 18.1                17.2                    -.91
Augustana             17.8                19.4                     1.61
Wartburg               15.6                19.1                     3.41

Hanover has a negative turnover rate margin but only slightly but Hope is well above, that could be trouble for Hanover.  Wartburg and Augustana are both pretty good at creating turnovers and Wartburg is 3rd best and protecting the ball in the remaining field. 

Much like last week a really well balanced pod, there isn't a clear difference between teams.   Hanover's been solid all year and won numerous close games while Hope and Augie kind of stumbled across the finish line and regained their balance last weekend.  Wartburg has been on fire the last 3 weeks and is coming off probably the two most impressive performances from last weekend.

I might stick with the teams from the stronger conferences which means Augustana over Wartburg,  maybe Hope over Hanover but I'm not really sure you can call the MIAA definitively better than the HCAC this year.  But man, Wartburg is tearing things up with efficiency number of 1.20 offensive and .99 defensive in their last 7 games, dark horse to advance maybe but they sure are playing good basketball.  Straight up efficiency is a slight advantage to Hope, factor in schedule strength and it swings to a slight Augustana advantage.

Overall this is probably a toss-up sectional and maybe the favorite holds the home court advantage.  I'm down with that, but any four of these teams could advance and it probably would not be a big surprise  (in the grand scheme Wartburg would be a surprise but not the way they've been playing).

Should be another good weekend of games at DeVos.

2 minutes later.... Sac's efficiency rating is through the roof!

wiz

sac

Quote from: Dutch_Man on March 08, 2017, 11:29:14 AM

2 minutes later.... Sac's efficiency rating is through the roof!

If it wasn't for these random power outages plaguing our state it would have been a half hour earlier.

sac

Quote from: wiz on March 08, 2017, 11:37:03 AM
Quote from: Dutch_Man on March 08, 2017, 10:55:01 AM

Much more is missing.

Actually Muchmore is starting at forward for Hanover.