FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigerfanalso

As expected the coaches poll has picked HSC to finish 5th in the conference. I don't understand the logic. HSC has finished second in the conference each of the last 6 years; has 16 returning starters ; a quarterback that now has experience and a new approach on the defensive side of the ball and they are picked to finish three spots lower than last year. Go figure !!!! The Tigers may well finish 5th, time will only tell, I just don't see the logic behind the poll. I guess that is just one more reason why they play the game(s).

Good luck to all for the coming season.  May your teams play well and without injury, or at least serious injury !!!!

Pat Coleman

Hmm, well, they finished in a three-way tie for second, so unless the poll was also going to somehow end in a three-way tie, it could be looked at as a one-spot fall.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

bcphotos

It was interesting to watch the ODAC media day.  Fortunately, the coaches told you nothing about the realities of this year, as they shouldn't.  They also told you nothing about the reasons things happened the way they did last year, as they shouldn't.  Did Pat Coleman play any ball?? 

Pat Coleman

Today? Just with my kids in the backyard. I was about 1,200 miles away from Salem, which is why I wasn't there. Some years I have been.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

K-Mack

Quote from: Matt Barnhart (kid) on August 01, 2007, 11:02:30 AM
Quote from: K-Mack on August 01, 2007, 12:58:30 AM
Meant to say kid, the site's lookin' good these days. The Coach Clark blog and sponsors?!?!

Ronnie Howard(?) best BC back of all time, no? Or Davon Cruz? Or Winston Young? Wow, those are only the ones I know.

Already enjoying Coach Clark's recruiting insights. Not registered for the forums though ... yet ... I can't even keep pace here.

Thanks.  I was excited when Clark showed interest in doing the blog.

With 88 votes cast, Davon Cruz is leading with 46.  Robbie Howard is in third with 10 votes.

To look over the statistical comparison I put together, check this out:

http://www.bridgewater.edu/~mbarnhar/Top11BCBacks.pdf

As you'll see, other than Cruz, Howard, Winston Young, and Marcus Washington, the other seven are pre-90s.  One player - Marshall Flora - dates back to the 60s.  He's currently fourth in the voting.

I figured it was going to be tough for Howard since he was pre-powerhouse, which might equate roughly to pre-fanbase.

However, Davon Cruz / manchild = same, so I might vote for him anyway.

But given that Howard led them to the '80 title in the middle of all that Bridgewater futility must be a testament to how good he was.

Dare we do a best players in ODAC history list? I'll gladly handle the R-MC submissions. We've even got an NFL alum from the Rockne Bowl title team.

(lives in past, what with No. 7 predictions for the future. We're not good, but we're deep!)
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

K-Mack

Quote from: allsky7 on August 01, 2007, 08:08:09 PM
     Pics of the new stadium at H-SC

http://www2.hsc.edu/throughthesegates/images/stadium/8-1-2007/index.html 

I just clicked on it. Didn't realize it was live.

At 2:48 a.m., it looks pretty basic. Not impressed. Will check back in daylight.
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

allsky7

Marty Favret, 8th-year Hampden-Sydney Coach - "We need to get better on defense if we want to win in our conference.  And that's an area that we expect to improve dramatically.  And if we can do that, the two teams that beat us in the league gotta come to Hampden-Sydney this year, and you know I think Death Valley is gonna be rockin' for those games."   (Taken from the WSET web site)

On September 29th, hopefully the Tigers will be rockin on Fulton Field and Stone Station will be rockin in the parking lot. A couple of kool, fall like days and I will be jacked.  Kinda gives you chill bumps, don't it?!   8)  :D

allsky7

Quote from: K-Mack on August 08, 2007, 02:45:40 AM
Quote from: Matt Barnhart (kid) on August 01, 2007, 11:02:30 AM
Quote from: K-Mack on August 01, 2007, 12:58:30 AM
Meant to say kid, the site's lookin' good these days. The Coach Clark blog and sponsors?!?!

Ronnie Howard(?) best BC back of all time, no? Or Davon Cruz? Or Winston Young? Wow, those are only the ones I know.

Already enjoying Coach Clark's recruiting insights. Not registered for the forums though ... yet ... I can't even keep pace here.

Thanks.  I was excited when Clark showed interest in doing the blog.

With 88 votes cast, Davon Cruz is leading with 46.  Robbie Howard is in third with 10 votes.

To look over the statistical comparison I put together, check this out:

http://www.bridgewater.edu/~mbarnhar/Top11BCBacks.pdf

As you'll see, other than Cruz, Howard, Winston Young, and Marcus Washington, the other seven are pre-90s.  One player - Marshall Flora - dates back to the 60s.  He's currently fourth in the voting.

I figured it was going to be tough for Howard since he was pre-powerhouse, which might equate roughly to pre-fanbase.

However, Davon Cruz / manchild = same, so I might vote for him anyway.

But given that Howard led them to the '80 title in the middle of all that Bridgewater futility must be a testament to how good he was.

Dare we do a best players in ODAC history list? I'll gladly handle the R-MC submissions. We've even got an NFL alum from the Rockne Bowl title team.

(lives in past, what with No. 7 predictions for the future. We're not good, but we're deep!)

Hey K-Mack, are you talking about Howard Stevens? He was pre ODAC wasn't he?

I nominate Tiger Jimmy Ferguson for the All ODAC team. His catch phrase could have been "Weebles wobble but they don't fall down"  :D

BTW....one of our illustrious posters was Jimmy's blocking back. Gotta give those guys that never get any glory a little love. Take a bow Tiger.

allsky7

Mike Clark, 13th-year Bridgewater Coach - "You know a year ago, something of great value was taken away from us.  And sometimes things of great value you don't appreciate their value 'til they're gone.  And my hope is that the senior class, with their preparation and their energy, will make it a temporary absence." (from the WSET web site)

I think one more year of absence to learn to appreciate this thing of great value will be good for the Eagles. Helps to reinforce the well rounded liberal arts philosophy and builds character  ;D ;D

GO TIGER'S!!

Matt Barnhart (kid)

Quote from: K-Mack on August 08, 2007, 02:45:40 AM
[...] But given that Howard led them to the '80 title in the middle of all that Bridgewater futility must be a testament to how good he was. [...]

[Ronnie] Howard played in the early 90s.
Former Publisher of BridgewaterFootball.com

Matt Barnhart (kid)

Quote from: K-Mack on August 08, 2007, 02:45:40 AM[...]Dare we do a best players in ODAC history list? I'll gladly handle the R-MC submissions. We've even got an NFL alum from the Rockne Bowl title team.[...]

How about one offense and one defense per school?

I want others to speak up for BC too, but my vote would be Ronnie Howard and Jermaine Taylor for the Eagles.  I know Davon Cruz is winning the "Best RB in BC History" vote, but like you said, the fan base was and is a lot greater than it used to be.  Shoot, some may even say Jason Lutz is the greatest offensive player in BC history.  But I'm trying to think of whose numbers would stack up to others around the league, and Howard (and even Cruz) would look better than Lutz.  Although Lutz did lead us to a Stagg Bowl, and no other player in the conference can say that. ;)

Let's get this list going!  Other fans from teams speak up!

Matt Barnhart (kid)

Looking through the ODAC record book (which still needs lots of updating), here are some offensive names from other schools that keep popping up:

H-SC: JD Ricca (QB - 2002-05)
R-MC: Remon Smith (RB - 1984-87)
E&H: Oliver Jordan (RB - 1996-99)
CUA: Nick Bublavi (WR - 2001-05)
GC: Chris McKinney (WR/PR - 1998-2002)
W&L: Christian Batcheller (QB - 1996-99)

hasanova

Quote from: Matt Barnhart (kid) on August 08, 2007, 09:23:33 AM
Looking through the ODAC record book (which still needs lots of updating), here are some offensive names from other schools that keep popping up:

Chris McKinney was a great receiver and kick-off return man!  When the ball was in his hands, watch out!  I think he still has an NCAA record for five punt return TDs in a 10-game season.  When you look at his years (1998-2002), that looks like five seasons. Chris tried to walk-on at NCSU one season and didn't make the team.  He then returned to Guilford and finished his eligibility ... and we were so glad he did!

I also watched Christian B. with great interest.  He graduated from Patrick County, VA HS (where I was raised) and I know his mother, sister and step-father.  His step-father, Rick, is a physician in Patrick County and attended public school with me.  We were also in the Scouts together.  I think Christian got drafted by the Pittsburgh Pirates and played in their minor league system, but got injured before his baseball career was too far along.

allsky7

Quote from: Matt Barnhart (kid) on August 08, 2007, 09:15:45 AM
Quote from: K-Mack on August 08, 2007, 02:45:40 AM[...]Dare we do a best players in ODAC history list? I'll gladly handle the R-MC submissions. We've even got an NFL alum from the Rockne Bowl title team.[...]

How about one offense and one defense per school?

I want others to speak up for BC too, but my vote would be Ronnie Howard and Jermaine Taylor for the Eagles.  I know Davon Cruz is winning the "Best RB in BC History" vote, but like you said, the fan base was and is a lot greater than it used to be.  Shoot, some may even say Jason Lutz is the greatest offensive player in BC history.  But I'm trying to think of whose numbers would stack up to others around the league, and Howard (and even Cruz) would look better than Lutz.  Although Lutz did lead us to a Stagg Bowl, and no other player in the conference can say that. ;)

Let's get this list going!  Other fans from teams speak up!

I'll have to give some thought to this. Most of the great Tiger D players that I recall were pre ODAC. I'll plug the 70's Tigers since I'm sure the younger posterswill take care of the others.  8)

H-S - Jimmy Ferguson (offense)
Maryville  Paul Anagnostis (RIP) (defense)  Remember, MC used to be an ODAC team. I have to plug Paul because he was a great player on an average team.
Maryville - Pat Moyer (offense) Again, a great D3 player on an average D3 team.

I'm sure no one will plug these MC guys because they have been gone from the ODAC for so long.

Jacketlawyer

Quote from: Matt Barnhart (kid) on August 08, 2007, 09:23:33 AM

I certainly remember all of these guys and saw them play (though I'm trying to forget Ricca  ;D).

I'm not believing H-S is picked to finish 5th. :-\

Looks like the dreaded Wasps are making a comeback. :P

What does "our roster is the deepest it's ever been" mean, exactly?  I certainly hope we finish higher than the expected 7th place, but I find this statement to be somewhat baffling. ???
" and do as adversaries do in law, strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends." -The Taming of the Shrew