NESCAC

Started by LaPaz, September 11, 2011, 05:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bantams1

Spencer Noon made D3 Soccer AA last year after getting dissed by the Nescac, but two of his teammates should be on D3's AA Team this year. Amherst gave up 3 goals all year and D3 Soccer recognizes that. Many of the players at the D3 level could be playing DI/II - too many good players. Good job D3 Soccer with the selection of Than Finan at Williams - better than AP.

Big day for the NESCAC with the announcement of the 2012 NSCAA Men's College Division Scholar All-America Team

http://www.nscaa.com/awards/college/2012-men-s-scholar-all-america--college-division-?utm_medium=short_url

Four players - Noon,Amherst - 1st Team, Oneill, Wesleyan & Christman, Williams - 2nd Team, El-Hachim, Trinity - 3rd Team. I bet those 4 players don't think about getting dissed by anyone. Way To Go NESCAC!

LaPaz

what is your point

Bantams1

Read between the lines = D3 Soccer knows what the point is. Where you from - Williamstown?

LaPaz

my point was there were only 3 Nescac players chosen...one of them not the leading scorer Noon.  I am actually defensing Amherst. what does Williamstown have to do with anything...Aoyoma as defensive player of the year is a joke...he is a wingback.....if he was so good defensively he would be a center back. the reason Aoyoma is so good and why everyone likes watching him is because he gets forward as a wingback and causes havoc and goals. he is a converted wing midfielder. He also choked when called upon hitting 3rd in penalties aganist Williams and calmy stepped up and hit it WAY over and right of the net..Ur defensive player of the year should be just that a DEFENSIVE HARD NOSED CB. I dont think Aoyoma fits that bill, he is fun to watch though. Lerner is another wingback who was efficient at whacking the ball forward and his 15-20 long throws. Finan deserves it, no other Williams player really, maybe Rashid or even Ebobisse shouls have made 3rd team. They were key to their final four run. I am PRO NESCAC nothing to do with Williamstown...Ur point makes no sense anyway, which doesnt suprise me coming from ur previous 8 posts of dribble and making no sense.  The NSCAA all-americans actually make more sense and are more evenly divided...hate to say....Also, Coach of the year should be given to the Ohio Northern guy....for what he did to get that team to the Final is incredible.

1970s NESCAC Player

LaPaz, you are correct of course, but d3soccer.com puts itself in a tough position by waiting until after NSCAA announces its team.  By waiting, they need to do something to distinguish themselves and end up putting players on the wrong teams (or excluding deserving players) just to do so.  d3soccer should announce their team first and then there would be a good debate once NSCAA makes its selections.

Owlsie

Quote from: LaPaz on December 15, 2012, 09:10:14 AM
my point was there were only 3 Nescac players chosen...one of them not the leading scorer Noon.  I am actually defensing Amherst. what does Williamstown have to do with anything...Aoyoma as defensive player of the year is a joke...he is a wingback.....if he was so good defensively he would be a center back. the reason Aoyoma is so good and why everyone likes watching him is because he gets forward as a wingback and causes havoc and goals. he is a converted wing midfielder. He also choked when called upon hitting 3rd in penalties aganist Williams and calmy stepped up and hit it WAY over and right of the net..Ur defensive player of the year should be just that a DEFENSIVE HARD NOSED CB. I dont think Aoyoma fits that bill, he is fun to watch though. Lerner is another wingback who was efficient at whacking the ball forward and his 15-20 long throws. Finan deserves it, no other Williams player really, maybe Rashid or even Ebobisse shouls have made 3rd team. They were key to their final four run. I am PRO NESCAC nothing to do with Williamstown...Ur point makes no sense anyway, which doesnt suprise me coming from ur previous 8 posts of dribble and making no sense.  The NSCAA all-americans actually make more sense and are more evenly divided...hate to say....Also, Coach of the year should be given to the Ohio Northern guy....for what he did to get that team to the Final is incredible.

So - the only defensive players to make All-American should be center backs  - ignore the outside players?  Look, I don't see enough teams/players to be knowledgeable enough to really know who should definitely make the team, much less POY, DPOY or OPOY, but certainly selecting the best TEAM should include all positions.

I would have said that the NSCAA was a bit biased toward the north/northeast on AA, and D3 corrected that bias a bit.  Same comment by positions - it seemed that they took a few more center mids/CB over wing players.  Also, looking solely at the stats, I certainly thought there were some very questionable choices by NSCAA as compared to D3.

Lastly - NESCAC got the numbers they deserved, or maybe a bit better.  The "best" conference in the country shouldn't get more than maybe 10% or so of the players.  The D3 AAs have 33 - 11 each for 1st, 2nd, 3rd teams.

One point we can agree on - the ON coach did a great job.  Just hard to argue that the Messiah guy didn't also do a great job.

LaPaz

This Amherst piece almost brought tears to my eyes....Fact is Williams(twice) and Bowdoin have been to the final four in San Antonio since 2009. None of these players for Amherst have gotten a taste. Good SID work in a slow month. Time to move on

LaPaz

Bowdoin's Fran O'Leary resigns to become Toronto FC Assistant coach

http://www.nescac.com/sports/msoc/2012-13/releases/20130108hslyeb

He brought a talented Bowdoin team to the 2010 Final Four and leaves a very good head coaching and secure job for a chance in MLS and a very unsecure job. Wish him the best. This opening should get a bunch of qualified canidates as it did when Ainscough left for Northeastern in 2005

LaPaz

Congrats to only D3 soccer player drafted in 2nd Supplemental draft...Sucre from Amherst

long shot but never kno...

http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/alejandro-sucre

CacFan12

what a great day for nescac soccer! congrats to sucre, coach serpone, the amherst team, and the entire league. terrific accomplishment! rumor coming through the grape vine is that alexi lalas saw sucres play at Amherst during their junior year at an ncaa contest and was impressed. he has some old ties in the whitecaps organization. can anyone confirm or deny?

Also, not to bring this forum back to the coaching debate, but serpone deserves some credit for taking his team to an undefeated season without their MLS-bound striker (he was out with injury almost all season).

amh63

More complete story and specifics are in a story on the Amherst College website...Athletics Section. Personal comments, etc.

LaPaz

Bowdoin names new Mens Soccer Coach from Univ. of Chicago and another Midd alum coaching in Nescac who I believed played with Shapiro of Tufts

http://athletics.bowdoin.edu/sports/msoc/2012-13/releases/20130310tfz12z

Lets see how he does, his record at U Chicago not overly impressive in 7 years but we will give him the benefit of the doubt

Brother Flounder

Any predictions for 2013???

dacac

Former NESCAC soccer player and former teammate of mine, Winslow Murdoch, is working to create a cross-country documentary project about the challenges recent graduates face as they enter the job market.  The project is called "What Now? On the road with America's young, educated and unemployed" and you can check it out on Kickstarter here --> http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/102668313/what-now-0

BroBible also had a nice little writeup on the project --> http://www.brobible.com/college/article/cool-documentary-what-now

Very talented kid and a very interesting/relevant project

nescac1

I have to think, after how they dominated NESCAC for most of last year, Amherst is still the favorite despite the offensive firepower they graduated.  Noon in particular is irreplaceable, and Lerner's throw-ins were a big weapon, but Aoyama is still the best player in NESCAC and they still have other all-NESCAC level guys in Heo, Fikke, Wirz and Rico.  Greg Singer should be a big presence up front as well after a year of expeirence.  Bull will be tested more often this year but looked up to the task, and has the pedigree.  Amherst won't totally dominate the way they did last season, though -- that was probably their national title window as that team definitely had the personnel to test Messiah. 

Williams after making the Final Four will also be back strong.  Losing Than Finan hurts -- he was spectacular -- but folks forget that he was neck-and-neck with Peter Morrell for much of the last three years so the Ephs should be fine at GK.  Williams was starting two frosh on the backline by the end of the year so they should benefit from added experience there as well, and they have five backs returning with extensive starting experience.  The Rashid-Kushaina duo is the second best 1-2 punch up front in NESCAC.  The Ephs do need to find a few more consistent creators / scorers to help those two out, especially with Ebobisse graduating.  Zach Grady if healthy and Matt Murralles are both certainly capable of filling that role, and perhaps a frosh will step up.  If a few of the young Eph midfielders step up Williams could challenge Amherst. 

Speaking of 1-2 punches Tufts will also contend led by the Hoppentot-Santos duo.  The Jumbos lose basically nothing to graduation and they along with Williams will pose the biggest threat to Amherst.  All three of those teams should be NCAA squads barring major injuries or anything else unexpected. 

Wesleyan could be in for the biggest drop-off, they graduate the only player who scored more than 3 goals from an anemic offense and Purdy won't be around to bail them out. 

Regarding Amherst, looks like they brought in another big and strong recruiting class in.  Six listed on this site alone (no other NESCAC squad has more than one), including, presumably, Aoyama's little brother.  Cassutt was POY in Minnesota:

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/college-soccer/college-soccer-details/men/amherst/clgid-1413/tab-commitments