Liberty League

Started by Pat Cummings, March 01, 2005, 07:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stlawus

Crazy night in the Liberty League.  RPI finally goes down.  It's safe to say Vassar is legit.  They put the screws to the Engineers from the opening tip. 

Bard wins in 2 OT in a back and forth exciting game with Union.   Thought for sure Bard was cooked when they missed 2 FTs at the end of the first OT. 

RIT beats SLU with a shot with 1 second left.   Really clutch shot that was contested.   SLU lost that game because they got absolutely nothing out of the PG position.   Wasted one of the best defensive performances of Trent Adamson's career, as he had 13 rebounds and 6 blocks.   RIT went into a zone in the 2nd half which to their credit worked really well as SLU kept bricking the same shot at the high post which led to 8 or 10 straight points for RIT.   

Only game that was somewhat expected was Ithaca winning at home against Skidmore.  Skidmore actually led for most of the game but ran out of gas at the end. 

stlawus

We're a ways off from the Liberty League tournament, but does anyone know if the league reseeds after the first round?   It would basically better to be a 6th seed than a 4th seed since if you win the first round game you would play #2 instead of #1 if they didn't reseed. 

ronk

Generally, it should be easier to win that 1st round game as the 4th seed facing the 5th seed at home rather than as the 6th seed facing the 3rd seed on the road, if games are played at the home of the higher seed.

Ice Bear

Ice Bear says tough weekend for his beloved Basketball Garnet. Ice was pleased with the effort, especially against Bard where the Dutch simply wouldn't go away. Ice loves the effort and resilience this team shows at times. Ice thinks they could be a problem against a higher seeded team come LL playoff time.
A long time fan of DIII Football!

stlawus

Odd league this year.   Hobart drops 100 on the road against RIT tonight.   Other results were expected though, as RPI gets back to their old selves and wins in Ithaca.  Bard made a nice comeback against Skidmore but fell short. 

One non-league game with SLU playing a previously postponed matchup against SUNY Canton.   Would be nice if SLU could play with that type of offense on a consistent basis.

hopefan

BIG weekend for RPI as they host Union and Ithaca... critical for both Ithaca and Union as they both battle for conference tourney position...
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

stlawus

Really good win for RPI tonight against Union.  Dominating win without Mahoney.  The Engineers' pack line defense was stifling.

Seems like every game Ithaca plays they play poorly for 30 minutes and then don't miss in the final 10 minutes to pull away.   

Greg Skoric falls 1 rebound short of a 20/20 against RIT who had no answer for him.   Skidmore could make a run.

Most surprising result tonight was definitely SLU getting the win against Vassar in a game of first team to score 50 wins. Despite the scoreline it was a pretty entertaining defensive battle.  Trent Adamson has blossomed into a great player.   The travel monster has claimed several upsets in the SLU-Vassar matchup, most notably in the 08-09 and 18-19 seasons, and now this year.

Caz Bombers

St. Lawrence lost at home to Bard? I can hear stlawus grinding his teeth from here.

stlawus

Much teeth grinding was had.  Although I called that one in my head halfway through the first half.  Started the game poorly and you could see it coming.  Bard shot the ball well though.   Most of their threes were contested.  You can see how they almost beat Vassar.   Still a brutal loss for the Saints, as a win there would have given them some cushion in the standings.    Every bad loss from SLU has stemmed from inconsistent point guard play.   Unforced turnovers from the position in the 2nd half allowed Bard to stay in the game.    However, I did have them pegged to go 1-1 this weekend, just not with a win against Vassar and a loss against Bard.    I really had no idea what to expect with this year's SLU team given the amount of roster turnover since the last full season.  They're about where I thought they would be at this point, but it's still a bit disappointing given the 2 losses in the final seconds at home against 2 subpar teams.

It's RPI's race to lose at this point.  I'm not sure what Mahoney's deal is, but RPI beating Ithaca without him is a good sign for them going forward assuming he misses time.   Vassar smoked RPI the last time but I don't see that happening again.

Assuming Bard and Clarkson remain at the bottom, the standings race looks like it might really heat up in the next 3 weeks.  Pretty big log jam between 4th and 8th place with Hobart getting some wins, and Ithaca is no lock at 3rd place especially since they have to play RPI again.   

Caz Bombers

no, Ithaca played RPI twice this week. They finish with: at Union and Skidmore, home to CU/SLU, at RIT, home to Bard and Vassar.

stlawus

Good catch, must have just read the schedule wrong.   Does make the remaining schedule easier.   Union and Skidmore are complete wild cards, but I can see the Bombers winning out, with maybe a loss against Vassar. 

Ice Bear

Quote from: stlawus on January 30, 2022, 01:21:00 AM
Good catch, must have just read the schedule wrong.   Does make the remaining schedule easier.   Union and Skidmore are complete wild cards, but I can see the Bombers winning out, with maybe a loss against Vassar.

Ice Bear agrees with this statement wholeheartedly. The mother****ing Bear has not been able to get a read on his beloved Garnet all season. They can be dangerous and shoot the ball well at times, and others, get run out of the gym by a team they may have been able to beat a day before. Ice Bear says inconsistency is just who they are. Ice loves them no matter what.
A long time fan of DIII Football!

Caz Bombers

is Hobart going to make up its scratched weekend in the North Country, and what about the Skidmore-RIT game from December that somehow never got re-scheduled?

I can see not worrying about games that won't impact the conference tournament (like Hartwick-Keuka in the E8), but these three seem kinda vital to who gets in and who doesn't.

stlawus

Hobart is making up their game against SLU next Tuesday and Clarkson next Wednesday.    Have no idea about Skidmore-RIT.

Caz Bombers

Quote from: stlawus on January 31, 2022, 05:12:45 PM
Hobart is making up their game against SLU next Tuesday and Clarkson next Wednesday.    Have no idea about Skidmore-RIT.

thanks. I suppose, as a certain recently departed rock star would say, two out of three ain't bad.