FB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:06:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MUC57

Watched a Christmas music special on PBS last night put on by The Hope College chorus and string orchestra. Really well done and very professional. I enjoyed it more than other similar shows.
Well done! Merry Christmas to all. 🌲✝
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

Flying Dutch Fan

In case anyone missed it, Hope announced on Jan 21 that they will not be participating in any games in the spring of 2021.  Here is a link to the press release:

https://athletics.hope.edu/sports/fball/2020-21/releases/20210121fuioee
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

DBQ1965

Reality is for those who lack imagination 😀

TUAngola

MIAA Pre-Season Football Coaches Poll is out:

Rank Team            Points       First-Place Votes
1.   Albion            6 points            6
2.   Hope             14 points           1
3.   Trine             17 points   
4.   Olivet            20 points   
5.   Adrian           23 points   
6.   Alma             31 points   
7.   Kalamazoo     36 points   

No surprises.  This would be my predicted order too.

FSU96

Heidelberg leads Adrian 38-0 at the half.

Is Heidelberg any good, or is Adrian this bad?

DBQ1965

From the "for what its worth" department.  I'm surprised that activity here has been nonexistent since the beginning of the season.  Maybe because Covid disrupted last year's football season to a great degree, I find my zeal for college football (even D3) this season has waned somewhat.  I've seen Hope play 4 games so far  (including the stream of the game with Coe ... from "my" ARC/IIAC conference) and note that while their championship team of 2019 was both talented and experienced, this year's team began the season with talent and only a modicum of experience.  Six games into the season (and thanks to Coach Stursma and his staff), Hope is playing with increased confidence/experience.  If there is no let-up against Adrian and Alma, the final two games against Albion and Trine should be great contests for fans and will decide MIAA standings ending conference play.  I regret that I will miss the Trine game, but look forward to watching the Hope-Albion contest. So that's it.  Thanks for "listening" ... and go Dubuque.

RFMichigan

Quote from: DBQ1965 on October 21, 2021, 07:45:48 AM
From the "for what its worth" department.  I'm surprised that activity here has been nonexistent since the beginning of the season.  Maybe because Covid disrupted last year's football season to a great degree, I find my zeal for college football (even D3) this season has waned somewhat.  I've seen Hope play 4 games so far  (including the stream of the game with Coe ... from "my" ARC/IIAC conference) and note that while their championship team of 2019 was both talented and experienced, this year's team began the season with talent and only a modicum of experience.  Six games into the season (and thanks to Coach Stursma and his staff), Hope is playing with increased confidence/experience.  If there is no let-up against Adrian and Alma, the final two games against Albion and Trine should be great contests for fans and will decide MIAA standings ending conference play.  I regret that I will miss the Trine game, but look forward to watching the Hope-Albion contest. So that's it.  Thanks for "listening" ... and go Dubuque.

I went to the Hope-Alma game yesterday (because I couldn't bare to watch the "other" game), and Hope looked solid. Perhaps Alma is not a good measuring stick, but Hope only gave up five first downs all game - the first coming halfway through the third quarter. Very strong and fast. Their offense looked "okay", but not as dominating as their defense. Again, competition caveats may apply, but their last two games should be interesting.

pointlem

What a terrific Hope v Albion game on a beautiful fall day, with the game ending with the teams tied in first downs (23),  and almost in the score 41-38. Although plays at the game's end may have felt decisive--a fumble after a fine catch, a third down sideline catch that was almost intercepted--those plays were no more determinative than the earlier fumbles, long passes, etc. A game that was exciting down to its final minutes, and so well played by both teams. (I may be mistaken, but I don't recall an offensive penalty by either team.)

Hope suffered a big loss when ace receiver Ian Rampersand was taken off the field with an injury. WR Terrell Harris was amazing, with 9 receptions and 111 yards, often aided by spin moves to elude would-be tacklers. Albion QB Jack Bush to Justin Thomas was unstoppable (17 catches, 182 yards).

Albion graduates a lot of starting seniors, while Hope is a junior-loaded team, which I expect may have the upper hand next year. For now, kudos to both teams.

DBQ1965

Quote from: pointlem on November 06, 2021, 05:29:33 PM
What a terrific Hope v Albion game on a beautiful fall day, with the game ending with the teams tied in first downs (23),  and almost in the score 41-38. Although plays at the game's end may have felt decisive--a fumble after a fine catch, a third down sideline catch that was almost intercepted--those plays were no more determinative than the earlier fumbles, long passes, etc. A game that was exciting down to its final minutes, and so well played by both teams. (I may be mistaken, but I don't recall an offensive penalty by either team.)

Hope suffered a big loss when ace receiver Ian Rampersand was taken off the field with an injury. WR Terrell Harris was amazing, with 9 receptions and 111 yards, often aided by spin moves to elude would-be tacklers. Albion QB Jack Bush to Justin Thomas was unstoppable (17 catches, 182 yards).

Albion graduates a lot of starting seniors, while Hope is a junior-loaded team, which I expect may have the upper hand next year. For now, kudos to both teams.

Good assessment of yesterday's game. Almost like 3 games. ... 1st quarter was Albion's ... second quarter was Hope's ... and 2nd half was a back-and-forth between two talented teams. Albion started 8 seniors on offense and 4 on defense, while Hope had 3 senior starters offensively and 5 on defense.  Hope losing Rampersad to injury was a big loss, but the excitement provided by Harris made up, in part,  for that.   Albion's QB was a steady performer and Justin Thomas was outstanding as a receiver.  Both teams played hard and Hope must have been as disappointed as Albion was elated with the outcome.  Next interesting development will be to see who Albion draws in the first round of the D3 playoffs.  Two years ago Hope drew Wartburg from the ARC.  If that were to carry through this year, Albion would face Central College ... another "Dutch" team.  We'll see.

TUAngola

MIAA Preseason Coaches Poll it out for 2022 Football Season.

1) Hope - 10 points - 3 first place votes
2) Albion - 11 points - 2 first place votes
3) Trine - 12 points - 2 first place votes
4) Olivet - 21 points
5) Adrian - 26 points
6) Alma - 31 points
7) Kalamazoo - 36 points

HOPEful

Quote from: TUAngola on August 15, 2022, 07:11:09 PM

4) Olivet - 21 points
5) Adrian - 26 points
6) Alma - 31 points
7) Kalamazoo - 36 points

Hope plays Albion in early October this season. Trine, however, finishes the season with Albion, Hope, and Kalamazoo. Hope starts the season hosting Aurora and Coe, both of which should be exciting. Coe beat the Dutchmen in Iowa last year. I feel like starting 2-0, 1-1, and 0-2 are all on the table. Would love to see Albion and Hope stay unblemished in non-conference play before the match-up in October.
Let's go Dutchmen!

2015-2016 1-&-Done Tournament Fantasy League Co-Champion

TUAngola

Quote from: HOPEful on August 16, 2022, 08:42:46 AM
Quote from: TUAngola on August 15, 2022, 07:11:09 PM

4) Olivet - 21 points
5) Adrian - 26 points
6) Alma - 31 points
7) Kalamazoo - 36 points

Hope plays Trine in early October this season. Trine, however, finishes the season with Albion, Hope, and Kalamazoo. Hope starts the season hosting Aurora and Coe, both of which should be exciting. Coe beat the Dutchmen in Iowa last year. I feel like starting 2-0, 1-1, and 0-2 are all on the table. Would love to see Albion and Hope stay unblemished in non-conference play before the match-up in October.

Trine gets both Albion and Hope at home this season, so maybe a slight advantage for those 2 crucial games.  Not sure how Trine gets Hope at home again this year as we hosted the Dutch last year.  Scheduling usually rotates home and away every other year.  On the flip side we play at Olivet for the second consecutive year too.  Lots of optimism for the Thunder this year from what I am hearing.  We were pretty young last year and now most of those guys are juniors and seniors, plus I know some key 5th year guys are back due to the Covid ruling which grants an extra year of eligibility.  Not many holes to fill at all.  But both Albion and Hope return a good portion of their teams too with a few 5th year guys sprinkled in as well.  Should be lots of fun, can't wait for the Trine season to start on Thursday Sept 1 with a home game against Anderson Univ. under the lights.

TUAngola

Finally here...game day...err...game night.  ;D

Trine vs. Anderson 7pm.  Go Thunder!!