FB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D3fanboy

as if Mount doesn't need more outside weapons, WR Edwin Reed is looking strong after surgery last year.  Reed was ahead of Ruby and Harvey in the past

hsbsballcoach7

Getting Ruby and Reed back at WR is huge. The offense will score points.  Also having Parker back in the backfield is big.  Personally,  I've always liked KJ Redmon and I thinks he's coming back as well.  He's reminded me of Logan Nemeth at RB with some wiggle and the ability to put his shoulder down too.

Kira & Jaxon's Dad

Mount Union is 28-2 since 2019 with two losses to NCC and hasn't lost a OAC game since 2016.

NCC won fairly convincingly this past season 26-13 and then got blown out by UMHB in the Stagg Bowl.

What does MTU need to do to beat the NCCs and UMHBs of the world (not sure if UWW, Linfield, etc are at that top echelon yet)?
National Champions - 13: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017

D3fanboy

Quote from: Kira & Jaxon's Dad on January 20, 2022, 11:40:47 AM
Mount Union is 28-2 since 2019 with two losses to NCC and hasn't lost a OAC game since 2016.

NCC won fairly convincingly this past season 26-13 and then got blown out by UMHB in the Stagg Bowl.

What does MTU need to do to beat the NCCs and UMHBs of the world (not sure if UWW, Linfield, etc are at that top echelon yet)?

run the ball

hsbsballcoach7

In my very unprofessional opinion... it all starts up front.  Skill guys are similar,  but Oline and Dline are where pressure is put or allowed.  Then comes schemes and plays.  NCC Oline was strong and quick and even they got handled by umhb.

rscl70

Quote from: hsbsballcoach7 on January 20, 2022, 07:51:04 PM

In my very unprofessional opinion... it all starts up front.  Skill guys are similar,  but Oline and Dline are where pressure is put or allowed.  Then comes schemes and plays.  NCC Oline was strong and quick and even they got handled by umhb.

Absolutely agree.  The superior quality of NCCs O line was glaring.  Mount doesn't necessarily need different players, they need better coaching in my opinion.  NCCs linemen were big and had good quickness, but what really impressed me was their discipline.  They knew their jobs and they executed effectively and consistently, sustaining their blocks much longer and better than Mount.  Some of that may be due to the offensive scheme, but again, the difference was obvious.  If you want to run the ball you must execute on the line of scrimmage.
12-0 = 13

Kira & Jaxon's Dad

YES on run the ball.  Needed to see more Petro in the Semifinal and Plunk needs to better take advantage of read/pull options.
National Champions - 13: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017

D3fanboy

Quote from: rscl70 on January 21, 2022, 07:38:30 AM

Absolutely agree.  The superior quality of NCCs O line was glaring.  Mount doesn't necessarily need different players, they need better coaching in my opinion.  NCCs linemen were big and had good quickness, but what really impressed me was their discipline.  They knew their jobs and they executed effectively and consistently, sustaining their blocks much longer and better than Mount.  Some of that may be due to the offensive scheme, but again, the difference was obvious.  If you want to run the ball you must execute on the line of scrimmage.

Mount will always be elite on the outside, everybody wants to be the next PG/CS3.  It pains me to say, but Mount is soft up front.  Maybe it was a combo of inexperience in the players and the coaches, but the great Mount teams have a nasty OL (and DL for that matter).  It isn't enough to show up with "RAIDERS" on your chest and call yourself the standard, the other D3 powers have stepped up their games.  Very, very important off-season for the Raiders.  Hopefully some dudes (players and coaches) step up in leadership roles and get the program back to where it belongs

Kira & Jaxon's Dad

Dr. Acula

Quote from: D3fanboy on January 21, 2022, 12:54:04 PM
Quote from: rscl70 on January 21, 2022, 07:38:30 AM

Mount will always be elite on the outside, everybody wants to be the next PG/CS3.  It pains me to say, but Mount is soft up front.  Maybe it was a combo of inexperience in the players and the coaches, but the great Mount teams have a nasty OL (and DL for that matter).  It isn't enough to show up with "RAIDERS" on your chest and call yourself the standard, the other D3 powers have stepped up their games.  Very, very important off-season for the Raiders.  Hopefully some dudes (players and coaches) step up in leadership roles and get the program back to where it belongs

This is so true.  To add to this, the other thing I've wondered in the last couple of years is where is the difference maker on defense?  1-11 they clearly have talent defensively.  But when they're at their best they always had a "dude" or two that were going to step up and make a huge play to swing a game.  A lot of them were DL like Lally, Dieuseul, etc. but that doesn't have to be the case as DB's like Berry, Driskill, Kostelnik and even all the way back to Bugara were guys that made the big plays.  With UMHB, NCC, UWW playing at their current levels I think those guys that make big plays are even more critical now than they were even 10 years ago.

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

D3fanboy

Quote from: Kira & Jaxon's Dad on January 26, 2022, 09:06:44 AM
NCC Head Coach Jeff Thorne is leaving for the OC position at Western Michigan:

https://footballscoop.com/news/western-michigan-hiring-jeff-thorne-offensive-coordinator

NCC promotes from within:

https://northcentralcardinals.com/news/2022/1/26/brad-spencer-04-named-head-football-coach.aspx

good luck to all the national powers replacing "legendary" coaches.  Hopefully they dont have a "down year" and everyone asks if there is a "changing of the guard".  Look at Geoff Dartt being one of the more experienced HC's at a D3 power

Pat Coleman

Quote from: D3fanboy on January 26, 2022, 01:40:49 PM
Hopefully they dont have a "down year" and everyone asks if there is a "changing of the guard".

These are the questions that come with winning all those Walnut and Bronzes. Can't have it both ways.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

hsbsballcoach7

Here's a list that I've gathered so far for guys who have "commited" to Mount Union publicly. There are definitely some talented players so far and addressing some needs on the defensive line.  I could see some guys pushing for playing time in the fall.  I don't think I've ever said this before,  but Joey Dilalla, the Kicker/Punter, could make an impact and improve the specials teams play instantly.

Jacob Climer WR Pataskala, OH
Donny Cheffo TE Hubbard,OH
Connor Adelman RB Louisville, OH
Ethan Pytlak LB Naperville,  IL
Tejon Brooks DB Cleveland Central Catholic,  OH
Caleb Foltz WR Arlington,  OH
Cedric Diggs DT Plano East, TX
Drew Garcia RB/WR Commerce,  MI
Brandon Bowden DE Gainesville,  FL
Joey Dilalla K/P West Geauga, OH
Jaqai Neal DB Manvel, TX
Owen Gibbs LB/SS Oregon,  OH
Ryan Farrell DE Medina, OH
Zachary King DB Medina, OH
Kamren Moore DT Haltom City, TX
Greg Rockwell OL West Branch, OH
Michael Franklin RB Sandusky,  OH
Giovanni Kennedy OL St Eds, OH
Michael Lally OL South Range, OH

Dr. Acula

Quote from: hsbsballcoach7 on February 07, 2022, 09:23:47 PM
Here's a list that I've gathered so far for guys who have "commited" to Mount Union publicly. There are definitely some talented players so far and addressing some needs on the defensive line.  I could see some guys pushing for playing time in the fall.  I don't think I've ever said this before,  but Joey Dilalla, the Kicker/Punter, could make an impact and improve the specials teams play instantly.

I just saw on social media yesterday that Aiden Ighnat is coming to Mount also.  He's an absolute stud All-Ohio K from Hilliard Davidson.  I had heard that Davidson's kicker was a weapon, but it's a K so you don't think much of it, right?  Well this past season I saw him drill a FG from over 50 that woulda been good from at least 55.  So when I saw he chose Mount I was not sad at all.  They're going to have some talented options.  Let's hope they're landing the big boys with the same success!