BB: SCAC: Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, January 04, 2006, 11:16:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Boerger

TU's been winning by outslugging people all year. (5.81 ERA to opponents' 9.21 prior to today).  Joseph Chavana (10-1, 3.76) was a short reliever until April, since making him a starter he's 7-0 making it to at least the seventh inning in all his starts with his ERA dropping by almost two full runs in that span.  After that it's a crap shoot.  Luke Pfeiffer (0-0, 13.0 IP, .178 OBA, 2.08 ERA in 7 appearances) gave them some excellent short relief but hasn't gotten into a game since throwing 4 2/3 against Centenary on May 8th.   

Ron Boerger

Trinity's bats stay hot this weekend and it's two-and-BBQ for Birmingham-Southern who fall 9-8 (Friday) and 14-8 (today) at home to end their season.  In the deciding game, B-SC had tied it at 8 in their half of the 7th when Joel Thomas relieved yesterday's winning pitcher, Harrison Durow, inheriting runners at 2nd and 3rd with one out.  A fielder's choice forced the runner at third out at home, a pop fly preserved the tie, and Ezra Gore would bring home the winning run with a two out single the next inning while Thomas would throw another two hitless innings to pick up his third win.  The Tigers would score five insurance runs in the final stanza.

(edit: grammar)

Ron Boerger

After Rafe Chaumette used his extra COVID year at Boston College last season, several others will also be taking their talents to Division I this season:

3B/1B MJ Metz (.382 BA, 12 HR, .992 Fld %) - Duke, where he will also seek a MBA.  Metz led Trinity in BA, RS, RBI, 2B last season. 
LHP Samuel Conte (15 APP/12 S, 4-3, 4.27 ERA, .237 OBA) - Charlotte
RHP Corey Cater (14 APP/6 S, 3-4, 7.31 ERA, .289 OBA) - Kansas State

It also appears that Brian Schaub, who transferred from Richmond to Trinity for the 2020-21 season and led the team in HRs the last two years, will be playing next year at D1 Bryant University per his Twitter headline (no explicit announcement). 

Looks like a rebuilding year upcoming for the Tigers, who at least will have a spanking new facility to play in after the old one was totally torn down in the offseason. 

Jack Parkman

Quote from: Ron Boerger on August 23, 2022, 05:16:48 PM
After Rafe Chaumette used his extra COVID year at Boston College last season, several others will also be taking their talents to Division I this season:

3B/1B MJ Metz (.382 BA, 12 HR, .992 Fld %) - Duke, where he will also seek a MBA.  Metz led Trinity in BA, RS, RBI, 2B last season. 
LHP Samuel Conte (15 APP/12 S, 4-3, 4.27 ERA, .237 OBA) - Charlotte
RHP Corey Cater (14 APP/6 S, 3-4, 7.31 ERA, .289 OBA) - Kansas State

It also appears that Brian Schaub, who transferred from Richmond to Trinity for the 2020-21 season and led the team in HRs the last two years, will be playing next year at D1 Bryant University per his Twitter headline (no explicit announcement). 

Looks like a rebuilding year upcoming for the Tigers, who at least will have a spanking new facility to play in after the old one was totally torn down in the offseason.

Any links to info about the new park? Would love to see what they are doing.

Ron Boerger

Oddly there is very little officially being reported (and nothing on the TU athletics site), here is a tweet from the supporter Twitter account showing the construction.  They've taken out the field, I do hope they're not going to turf.

https://twitter.com/trinityufastbat/status/1561480803900878848

Ron Boerger

Confirmed that Schaub has transferred to Bryant per the team's 2022-23 roster.

Jack Parkman

Quote from: Ron Boerger on August 24, 2022, 11:34:35 PM
Oddly there is very little officially being reported (and nothing on the TU athletics site), here is a tweet from the supporter Twitter account showing the construction.  They've taken out the field, I do hope they're not going to turf.

Thanks, Ron. Will be interested to see how it all turns out.

Ron Boerger

Quote from: Jack Parkman on August 29, 2022, 07:20:09 PM
Quote from: Ron Boerger on August 24, 2022, 11:34:35 PM

Thanks, Ron. Will be interested to see how it all turns out.

Jack, here's a story from the student paper that talks about the upgrades, which are supposed to be done by the end of October (seems like a lot to expect in six weeks based on what I saw last weekend):  https://trinitonian.com/2022/09/08/baseball-and-softball-set-to-receive-new-playing-surfaces/

It is going to be turf.  Certainly will be easier to maintain but I'll miss the grass which they usually did a fine job of keeping in shape.  First significant update to the facility in *30* years. 

Jack Parkman

I'm not surprised they are going with turf. Low maintenance and less schedule shuffling. The University of Tampa is doing the same thing right now and should be a huge upgrade.

Bmo

ESPN + is Fun for D3 to D1 transfers.  Saw Mj Metz go 3-4 with an HR for Duke.  Brian Schaub go 2-3 while tearing up a HP 3b.  Sam Conti was the first pitcher off the bench for CLT.  Ethan Sund doing his best against TxST.

Ron Boerger

Quote from: Bmo on February 17, 2023, 09:07:29 PM
ESPN + is Fun for D3 to D1 transfers.  Saw Mj Metz go 3-4 with an HR for Duke.  Brian Schaub go 2-3 while tearing up a HP 3b.  Sam Conti was the first pitcher off the bench for CLT.  Ethan Sund doing his best against TxST.

Man, Trinity could really use some of that hitting this year, too.

Ron Boerger

After 5 games, all of which he has started at Duke, MJ Metz is batting .615 with 8 hits, 8 runs, and 6 walks.  He has an OPS of 1.827 and a 1.077 slugging percentage.  Most of those numbers lead the 3-2 Blue Devils.  While it's a small sample size and the numbers will come down, it's a damned impressive start for someone making the transition from D3 to D1.

And he was second-team all-SCAC (third-team d3baseball.com all-region) last season.

ILVBB

Interesting announcement today; Trinity and Southwestern will be joining the SAA in 2015. Effectively, this is the "old SCAC" with Berry and without Austin. It was a little over 10-years ago that the SAA schools broke off from the Texas schools to form the SAA. My recall was the SAA schools did not like all the travel to Texas. I wonder what changed?

Ralph Turner

Quote from: ILVBB on March 09, 2023, 06:41:41 PM
Interesting announcement today; Trinity and Southwestern will be joining the SAA in 2015. Effectively, this is the "old SCAC" with Berry and without Austin. It was a little over 10-years ago that the SAA schools broke off from the Texas schools to form the SAA. My recall was the SAA schools did not like all the travel to Texas. I wonder what changed?
Birmingham-Southern may close its doors by fall 2023.