MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: GoPerry on March 04, 2019, 04:13:56 PM
Quote from: Greek Tragedy on March 04, 2019, 03:38:28 PM
Quote from: GoPerry on March 04, 2019, 12:29:03 PM
Quote from: UWPSUPERFAN77 on March 03, 2019, 04:04:42 PM
Too bad Auggie and Wheaton could not be on the other side of the brackets! Both,based on past seasons, deserve to win a championship!

Yes - a little unfortunate that only one CCIW team can advance past Friday.  But Thunder fans were grateful to be in the bracket at all and are excited to have advanced no matter who's next.  I guess it'd be nice to play a team we hadn't played twice already.  But Wheaton certainly didn't merit any special consideration and I doubt the committee really thought about it much.  Definitely better than heading back to Baldwin Wallace or Marietta Ohio.

Why is that?

Sorry - shorter distance to Rock Island.

True, but also a tougher opponent, and one that has already seen Francis and company twice.

GoPerry

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on March 04, 2019, 04:55:04 PM
Too bad Auggie and Wheaton could not be on the other side of the brackets! Both,based on past seasons, deserve to win a championship!

Yes - a little unfortunate that only one CCIW team can advance past Friday.  But Thunder fans were grateful to be in the bracket at all and are excited to have advanced no matter who's next.  I guess it'd be nice to play a team we hadn't played twice already.  But Wheaton certainly didn't merit any special consideration and I doubt the committee really thought about it much.  Definitely better than heading back to Baldwin Wallace or Marietta Ohio.

Why is that?

True, but also a tougher opponent, and one that has already seen Francis and company twice.

With the bracket, we had to play Augustana next anyhow.  My comment meant that at least we don't have to drive 6 hrs back to somewhere in Ohio to do so.

Titan Q

Aston Francis continues to lead all levels of college basketball in scoring per game...

* Aston Francis (D3/Wheaton), 33.0
* Justin Martin (NAIA 2/Multnomah), 31.9
* Chris Clemons (D1/Campbell), 30.1
* Amir Hinton (D2/Shaw), 29.4
* Chasten King (NAIA 1/Jarvis Christian), 24.2

duckfan41

Quote from: GoPerry on March 04, 2019, 08:03:28 PM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on March 04, 2019, 04:55:04 PM

Why is that?

With the bracket, we had to play Augustana next anyhow.  My comment meant that at least we don't have to drive 6 hrs back to somewhere in Ohio to do so.

The drive to Ohio worked out pretty well for us last weekend🤷🏼‍♂️ Gotta beat the best to be the best (or so they say). I'm hoping that the Thunder keep playing how they've been playing the last couple games, because I really feel like Wheaton has peaked at the perfect time to do something special.

Greek Tragedy

I've never seen Francis play. I would love to see him for the first time on the big stage at the Final Four. That would be something.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Gregory Sager

Aston Francis is currently at 2,267 career points, which puts him five points behind IWU great Jack Sikma for sixth place all-time among CCIW scorers. I tend to doubt that he's going to have another 40-point performance on Friday, given that Augie will no doubt try to turn him into one giant bruise by the end of the night, but if he does top the 40 mark again he'll actually catch Kent Raymond. The Wheaton star of the last decade ended his career in fifth on the all-time CCIW leaderboard with 2,308 points, 41 points over Francis's current total.

The idea that another Wheaton player might catch Kent Raymond after only three seasons absolutely boggles my mind.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 04, 2019, 09:23:32 PM
Aston Francis is currently at 2,267 career points, which puts him five points behind IWU great Jack Sikma for sixth place all-time among CCIW scorers. I tend to doubt that he's going to have another 40-point performance on Friday, given that Augie will no doubt try to turn him into one giant bruise by the end of the night, but if he does top the 40 mark again he'll actually catch Kent Raymond. The Wheaton star of the last decade ended his career in fifth on the all-time CCIW leaderboard with 2,308 points, 41 points over Francis's current total.

The idea that another Wheaton player might catch Kent Raymond after only three seasons absolutely boggles my mind.

Maybe that Kent Raymond guy isn't that good. I keed, I keed! What's also impressive, and has been mentioned before, is his rebounding. 7.8 right now. Excellent free throw shooter too. 
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

UWPSUPERFAN77

I saw Francis put up something like 50 against UWP! The students  were chanting one man team and ball hog! NOT true. He took a lot of shots with the clock running down! he also passed the ball,going back door,with a return pass for layups! Where did he come from? He looks like a D! player! I forgot Sikma came from IWU?

wheels81

And yet Francis is not on the all star ballot ?
"I am what I am"  PTSM

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: wheels81 on March 05, 2019, 12:54:07 PM

Because he might be considered on the team should Thunder not make the final four.

The ballot is for the LAST spots on the team - not the first 18.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Titan Q

Randy Reinhardt @Pg_Reinhardt
Central Catholic senior forward Tommy Nelson will continue his basketball career at Illinois Wesleyan, joining Saints teammate Luke Yoder in IWU coach Ron Rose's recruiting class.

-------
Tommy Nelson is a 6-5 F who had a big year for Bloomington Central Catholic (17.9 ppg, 9.2 rpg).  I know he visited North Central, and that Coach Schweer wanted him bad at Illinois College.

Will need to become more 4 than 5 at the next level - could be a tweener.  I've have heard good things about his work ethic and potential.  Probably a JV guy at first.

https://www.pantagraph.com/sports/high-school/basketball/central-catholic-s-nelson-to-stay-home-play-at-iwu/article_97d15a79-edc9-56a1-b1f1-e78a220c6185.html

Titan Q

Guys I am aware of that have announced they're going to IWU...

* Lucas Heflen, 6-3 G, St. Charles North HS
* Cody Mitchell, 6-6 F, St. Charles East HS
* Tommy Nelson, 6-5 F, Bloomington Central Catholic
* Ryan Verhulst, 6-3 G, Hersey HS
* Luke Yoder, 6-0 PG, Bloomington Central Catholic

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 05, 2019, 12:57:09 PM

Because he might be considered on the team should Thunder not make the final four.

Might be considered?
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Pat Coleman

You'd have to assume that he is, of course. We don't have the info to say for sure, that's all.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

wheels81

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 05, 2019, 12:57:09 PM

The ballot is for the LAST spots on the team - not the first 18.

Oic, just didn't see anything about it on the page asking for votes. 
This is what it says":
"Last year, it took more than 58,000 votes to get a player into the game. You may cast one vote per browser to put a player in the 2019 Reese's® Division III College All-Star Game. Voting closes at noon ET on Thursday, March 7."

The ballot contains the top eligible player on the NABC's list from each region.

Eligibility is limited to seniors who have completed their college playing career."
IT didn't say those not in tournament, didn't mention the other 18, didn't say last spots.  Maybe not all of us are "insiders".    A little better description would help us "drive bys" :)

"I am what I am"  PTSM