lmitzel

Quote from: Gregory Sager on January 28, 2021, 10:38:55 PM
Quote from: petemcb on January 28, 2021, 10:13:14 PM
Quote from: petemcb on January 28, 2021, 10:11:12 PM
Quote from: Titan Q on January 28, 2021, 10:06:47 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on January 28, 2021, 09:45:17 PM
North Central 71
Augustana 62

Augie led most of the game, but between the eight-minute mark and the four-minute mark of the second half the Cardinals went on a 13-0 run -- sans Blaise Meredith, no less -- which wiped out a six-point Augie lead, and NCC never looked back.

Blaise Meredith zero minutes in the 2nd half.  Any idea what happened?

Same with Tyson Cruickshank. It looks like he only played the first minute of the second half and then wasn't heard from.

In fact, I'll go a little further......No Matt Szuba for the entire game?

I didn't even see him on the bench. I have no idea why he was absent.

I can't speak to Cruickshank or Szuba, obviously. As for Blaise... let's just say he was heated coming off the floor at halftime.
Official D-III Championship BeltTM Cartographer
2022 CCIW Football Pick 'Em Co-Champion
#THREEEEEEEEE

Titan Q

Quote from: lmitzel on January 29, 2021, 08:19:57 AM
As for Blaise... let's just say he was heated coming off the floor at halftime.

Yes, looks all related to the final 60 seconds of the 1st half...

https://northcentralcardinals.com/watch/?Archive=107&type=Archive

[1:13:40 start]

lmitzel

Quote from: Titan Q on January 29, 2021, 11:15:13 AM
Quote from: lmitzel on January 29, 2021, 08:19:57 AM
As for Blaise... let's just say he was heated coming off the floor at halftime.

Yes, looks all related to the final 60 seconds of the 1st half...

https://northcentralcardinals.com/watch/?Archive=107&type=Archive

[1:13:40 start]

Yeah, I think that's what got him riled up to begin with. It looked like he did get hit on the arm on the way down on that three attempt, but it carried over beyond just the final 60 seconds of the half and well into the locker room.
Official D-III Championship BeltTM Cartographer
2022 CCIW Football Pick 'Em Co-Champion
#THREEEEEEEEE

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The Division III basketball season technically started nearly three months ago, but it has taken until the end of January for it to start feeling like the season is really underway. Even so, only about a quarter of the division has played just a single game. Another quarter of the division will never take to the court. And in between is wide gulf of different options.

On the first video-version of Hoopsville this season, Dave McHugh is joined by much of the D3hoops.com crew, Pat Coleman and Ryan Scott, to react to what has been one of the more unique seasons ... to say it lightly.

We react to the challenges schools are facing, what coaches are grappling with on a daily basis - especially beyond games and practices, and why schools are making so many different decisions.

We also discuss what is likely the future of this season's NCAA Championship Tournaments and, more importantly, when the decision on those tournaments will be made.

Plus, will there be a Top 25? No. Well, yes. Kind of. Tune in to learn more on what's coming. Plus a lot more including Dave spinning off Pat's thoughts on those wishing to attend games.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. You can watch the show by clicking on the video player above. Or you can listen to the podcast available on any of the service options in the right panel.

If you have questions about Division III basketball, feel free to send them and we will answer them on a the show. Email them to hoopsville@d3sports.com or use any of the social media options to the right.

You can WATCH the show or listen to the podcast here: https://bit.ly/3oASGKl or https://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2020-21/january

Hoopsville broadcasts from the WBCA/NABC Studio. All guests are featured on the BlueFrame Technology Hoopsville Hotline.

If you have questions, ideas, or want to interact with the show, feel free to send them to hoopsville@d3sports.com or use any of the social media options available.

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

We also have the podcast now on Tune-In and others coming. We will update them once we have better abilities to do so.

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3sports.com
Hoopsville Season Archive: www.team1sports.com/Hoopsville
YouTube: www.youtube.com/d3hoopsville
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

GoPerry

Short notice change in Wheaton's schedule. Wheaton's games with Elmhurst this week have been cancelled due to EC's Covid protocols.  Instead Wheaton will head to the Crackerbox to play the Vikes on Tuesday, 7pm (not sure if they checked Sager's short notice availability to call it?) and then host Carthage on Thursday. 

petemcb

Quote from: GoPerry on January 30, 2021, 09:11:55 AM
Short notice change in Wheaton's schedule. Wheaton's games with Elmhurst this week have been cancelled due to EC's Covid protocols.  Instead Wheaton will head to the Crackerbox to play the Vikes on Tuesday, 7pm (not sure if they checked Sager's short notice availability to call it?) and then host Carthage on Thursday.

Thanks for that. I guess that's one advantage the CCIW has in a crazy season like this - geographic proximity making these kinds of adjustments a little more doable with short-term notice. And I hope Greg's schedule can accommodate the switch. I love listening to him call a game.

Titan Q

What a year.

I had heard Elmhurst was scheduled to come out of COVID protocol on Feb 2...so they must have more issues.  That's tough.

The Bluejays have not played a game yet.

Gregory Sager

While my ego would love it if my availability to call a game at North Park was the sine qua non of adding it to the schedule, the reality of my status in the CCIW cosmos is quite a bit more humble than that.

The WC @ NPU game was added sometime yesterday afternoon or evening, as it wasn't there when I checked the schedule yesterday morning.

Quote from: petemcb on January 30, 2021, 09:54:49 AMThanks for that. I guess that's one advantage the CCIW has in a crazy season like this - geographic proximity making these kinds of adjustments a little more doable with short-term notice. And I hope Greg's schedule can accommodate the switch. I love listening to him call a game.

Thanks, Pete! I think you'll enjoy listening to my new color commentator, Scot Gladstone, as well. He's our new Sports Information GA, and he knows the game and what to look for on the court. He's an outstanding P.A. announcer as well -- the stentorian voice he uses for player introductions gives Lucas Mitzel a run for his money -- but, alas, that talent's a bit wasted on an empty gym.

I'll be working the Wheaton game, of course. This is a very unexpected bonus game, since the original schedule only had NPU playing Wheaton once, on Tuesday the 9th at King. If the Vikings run the postponement/cancellation gauntlet unscathed by positive Covid-19 tests or more snowstorms (my skepticism is high), they'll end up playing thirteen regular-season games instead of twelve.

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Titan Q

North Park coach Tom Slyder gets emotional in the postgame, talking about trying to play games this season for his guys.

Very emotional season all the way around.

https://twitter.com/IWUhoopscom/status/1355637829167149057?s=20

Gregory Sager

North Park 78
Carthage 68

Toby Marek: 32 pts (11-14 FG, 7-9 trey), 6:2 a:to
Jordan Boyd: 12 pts, 11 rebs
Karl Polk, Jr: 11 pts, 6 rebs

Fillip Bulatovic: 21 pts, 6 rebs, 3 stls
Sean Johnson: 16 pts, 9 rebs, 6 blks
Joshua Washburn: 13 pts
T.J. Best: 6 rebs, 3:1 a:to

North Park's shooting finally came out of the deep freeze today, as Toby Marek used some of that Texas magic from downtown that we used to see from Aston Francis. Marek drained one fallaway stepback trey after another, including an off-balance attempt over the outstretched arms of 6'11 Sean Johnson, and his teammates responded when he passed out of tight coverage to them for open looks.

After watching him for three halves now, I am really impressed by Carthage's Fillip Bulatovic. He's going to be one of the premier players in this league, and he's only a sophomore.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Gregory Sager

Augustana 80
North Central 76

Wheaton 67
Millikin 58

wheels81

Greetings Mr. Sager,
Can I catch the game through you tube live or through NPU website?  I look forward to hearing your new color guy.  That's an adjustment for you as you seem to be the one man band. :-)
"I am what I am"  PTSM

Gregory Sager

Go through the NPU website, Bully.

Actually, I think that I've only been exclusively solo on men's basketball for the past two seasons, as I was working with Aaron Coleman before then. Before Aaron I had a couple of Sports Information GAs who did color, and before that, of course, I was half of the online vaudeville act of Berki & Sager.

Of course, there were plenty of instances over the years when I was solo because my partner happened to be indisposed that night. This was particularly true when I traveled to call road games; I've always worked solo on the road. I think that there were seasons when even though I had a partner I was still doing as many as half of NPU's men's basketball games by myself. This was particularly true when my partner was a GA, because North Park's former SID Kevin Shepke would sometimes have to reassign his GA to fill in elsewhere on game staff when there was a spot that needed to be covered. My current partner, Scot Gladstone, will undoubtedly have to forego doing color for a game here or there due to the need to fill a table vacancy as well. (They usually wind up being the shot-clock operator, which is the port-a-potty-cleaner of scorer's table jobs.)

Gotberg

Quote from: Gregory Sager on January 28, 2021, 10:38:55 PM
Quote from: petemcb on January 28, 2021, 10:13:14 PM
Quote from: petemcb on January 28, 2021, 10:11:12 PM
Quote from: Titan Q on January 28, 2021, 10:06:47 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on January 28, 2021, 09:45:17 PM
North Central 71
Augustana 62

Augie led most of the game, but between the eight-minute mark and the four-minute mark of the second half the Cardinals went on a 13-0 run -- sans Blaise Meredith, no less -- which wiped out a six-point Augie lead, and NCC never looked back.

Blaise Meredith zero minutes in the 2nd half.  Any idea what happened?

Same with Tyson Cruickshank. It looks like he only played the first minute of the second half and then wasn't heard from.

In fact, I'll go a little further......No Matt Szuba for the entire game?

I didn't even see him on the bench. I have no idea why he was absent.

Matt Szuba is not listed on NPU's roster.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best

GoPerry

Wheaton 74
North Park 69 (OT)

Thunder pull it out in OT despite atrocious free throw shooting: 15/29  48%.   NPU played very tough defense and made everything difficult for Wheaton all night, especially Adom.  Huge night on the boards for Alioth with 17 rebs.

GS : Nice call on the Alioth "own goal". . . a crazy one.