WBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by wheatonc, March 03, 2005, 06:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RogK

the final two chapters, days 9 & 10, of Millikin's trip have been posted ... I recommend reading each of the 9 reports, a fun read, informative and also revealing a bit of the writers' personalities :
https://express.adobe.com/page/ZQiEuUVOaqhYQ/
= = = =

RogK

the new Millikin schedule :
https://athletics.millikin.edu/sports/womens-basketball/schedule
note that the first game listed (D2 Quincy) is a scrimmage

Gregory Sager

NPU's Esther Miller has been named All-Region in the heptathlon, which may be the only athletic event whose name I have to double-check for spelling.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

RogK

the Elmhurst schedule :
https://elmhurstbluejays.com/sports/womens-basketball/schedule
those November games at Wheaton are expected to be vs Platteville and Hanover

RogK

another schedule is up :
https://northcentralcardinals.com/sports/womens-basketball/schedule/2022-2023
North Central will win the December 28 game ... you could bet iwu70's winter cottage in Saskatchewan on it ... or, Greg's treehouse in Algeria

Gregory Sager

NPU has started Tweeting the announcements of Annie Shain's first recruiting class as head coach:

Kathryn Keehn, PG, Mt. Prospect, IL (Prospect)
Maddie Schwemmer, SG, Freeburg, IL (Freeburg)
Felicia Dyngeland-Sunden, SG/SF, Oslo, Norway (Ullern)
Ava Foote, SG/SF, New York, NY (Frederick Douglass)

Keehn played volleyball and softball for Prospect as well as basketball, and softball might be her best sport (she was named to the Daily Herald All-Area team). I suspect that Keehn might follow in the shoes of former Vikings mainstay Nicole Kruckman as a two-sport athlete for NPU. I don't want to compare anybody to Kruckman -- she started for four years and played at a high level in both sports, while eventually graduating summa cum laude with a B.S. in the very difficult major of nursing -- but I'll be happy if Kathryn Keehn is the best Kathryn Keehn she can be while wearing Vikings livery. The fact that she chose North Park over the other CCIW school that was after her, Illinois Wesleyan, is just icing on the cake. ;)

Maddy Schwemmer was also a dual basketball/softball athlete who seemed to particularly excel at the latter. (The St. Louis newspaper named her to their All-Area team in that sport.) I know less about her than Keehn, since Schwemmer is a downstater, so I hope that she comes armed with a nice shooting stroke. The Vikings are hurting for shooters in the wake of losing Emily Czuhajewski and Lauren Lee to graduation, and the fact that the team is now coached by one of the CCIW's best shooters of the early '10s doesn't mean that Annie Shain will have good shooters through osmosis. ;)

Felicia Dyngeland-Sunden might be the first-ever CCIW player who has capped. For those of you unfamiliar with soccer parlance, "earning a cap" means playing for your country's national team, and Dyngeland-Sunden played for Norway's U16 national team in the 2019 FIBA European championships. I guess that we'll see how that translates into CCIW play in terms of proficiency.

It's been awhile since North Park has had a student-athlete from the Big Apple, but aside from her hometown I don't know much about Ava Foote, except that she used to live in Green Bay and she worked with a basketball trainer who made her take 25,000 shots over the course of a summer. That's a lot of shots!
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

iwu70

As mentioned on the men's board, the IWU women are also back at work, practicing for their trip to Italy -- Rome, Florence and Venice -- likely playing 3-4 games during the tour. 

I watched a bit of their practices . . .  the expected main characters are back and I expect them to play a key, substantial role in the the new Titans' edition:

Carlson, looking much stronger
Huber, also incredibly fit and stronger
Powers
Heller, perhaps playing PG?
Palmer, slimmed down and looking much more fit . . .  quicker, a great spot-up shooter.

I expect the rising sophomores:  Huber, Palmer and Powers to have huge seasons ahead.

Key issue, I suppose, is finding an appropriate PG, with the departure via graduation of Brooke Lansford.  I'm not sure how that will be solved.  Not sure, too, how much this group will play "run and jump."  (No Catie Eck, no Kaia Bowen). 

Looks like others perhaps playing a bigger role in the rotation:   Launi Chanthaboury (a possble PG), Taylor Tarvor, Emily Collins?  Time will tell on the rest of the rotation.

No newbies yet, as they are not yet enrolled, so not going to Italy.  There are six newbies coming in  . . . and word has it that there are some bigs there, perhaps playing some role in the rotation?  Again, time will tell.  IWU could use some scoring bigs, some paint defensive presence. 

Italy should be fun, for bonding, great food and appropriate vino!   IWU's schedule is posted, with the normal tough schedule early, including Hope, Depauw and others likely.  It should be a good year for the Titans, as the three former freshmen, now rising sophomores really come into their own as top-flight CCIW players.  I expect great things, improvement from Heller and Carlson as well.  Pine-sitters getting their chance now, moving up in the rotation.   I have no doubt that Coach Smith will have them ready.

IWU'70

Flying Dutch Fan

Interesting that the Hope women's team is also going to Italy (August 8-18) with a similar 3-4 game schedule.  Wonder if the teams will both play against the same opponents or cross paths while there...

https://www.hollandsentinel.com/story/sports/2022/07/31/hope-women-heading-italy-basketball-cultural-immersion/10183824002/
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

Gregory Sager

NPU has added another wing. She's 5'9 rising junior Elisha Dunlap from Bolingbrook HS via Joliet JC, where she averaged 13.2 and 7.3 as a freshman in 2019-20, and 12.0 and 5.9 as a sophomore last season for the Wolves.

RogK

Do the 7.3 and 5.9 refer to assists or rebounds?

Gregory Sager

RogK

Thanks for the info.
Since she's already an upperclassman, I predict she'll be in the top 7 Vikings in minutes played.

Gregory Sager

It's a good possibility, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it. As you can see by the incoming class, NPU is going to be pretty wing-heavy, and we have insufficient information to know with reasonable certainty which ones will emerge at the top of the pecking order. What the Vikings need are bigs -- although they've managed to be fairly decent the past three seasons while fielding a noticeably undersized team.

itsnotmeitsyou

Quote from: Flying Dutch Fan on August 03, 2022, 09:57:54 AM
Interesting that the Hope women's team is also going to Italy (August 8-18) with a similar 3-4 game schedule.  Wonder if the teams will both play against the same opponents or cross paths while there...

https://www.hollandsentinel.com/story/sports/2022/07/31/hope-women-heading-italy-basketball-cultural-immersion/10183824002/
I'm not 100% certain... but I'm guessing the women's team will play against teams comprised of women and the men's team will play against other men's teams. So, NO - they will not be playing the same teams.