WBB: Centennial Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, December 24, 2004, 06:52:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VT-Alum-NOVA

be interesting to see if Haverford goes ahead of Gettysburg in next regional rankings.  Haverford wins regular season conference title should move them ahead of Gettysburg.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Winning the regular season title isn't part of the criteria.

WL%
SOS
H2H (they split)
Common opponents
vRRO

That is the primary criteria that will be looked at.

Haverford isn't even ranked right now ... here is how they looked through Sunday:

WL%SOSvRRO
Haverford20-3 (.870).5101-3
Gettysburg20-3 (.870).5321-1

Gettysburg is getting the nod in SOS, probably not losing as many vRRO (odd maybe), but I also have to check those ... though, playing and losing to Messiah isn't hurting the Bullets too much. Might help a little. The H2H may be a wash.

Now ... Gettysburg is going to get hurt by losing to Dickinson. There is a chance Haverford enters the rankings and Gburg even exits. But it is because Gettysburg found the worst time in the world to have an illness go ruff-shot through the team (from what I've heard). Not because Haverford won the regular season crown.

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

VT-Alum-NOVA

thank you so much for primary criteria!
i do wonder how committee factors common opponents for same conference teams: Hav = 18-1 (.947) while Getty = 16-3 (.842)

for entire region, common opponents are much smaller sample but when one conference team is reg season champ (not by coin flip!), that should factor into committee rankings

imo Dickinson loss really hurts Getty's chances at Pool C.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: VT-Alum-NOVA on February 20, 2020, 08:30:39 AM
thank you so much for primary criteria!
i do wonder how committee factors common opponents for same conference teams: Hav = 18-1 (.947) while Getty = 16-3 (.842)

for entire region, common opponents are much smaller sample but when one conference team is reg season champ (not by coin flip!), that should factor into committee rankings

imo Dickinson loss really hurts Getty's chances at Pool C.

You guys need to really checkout D3hoops.com. It would help you a TON. We have a LOT of resources including full explanations of the primary and secondary criteria. Even other FAQs are answered.

And there is this show, Hoopsville, which covers a lot of this stuff especially this time of year. Even if you can't watch it live, you can watch or listen to the archives. It really would be worth your time (www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville).
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I think I have this right ... worked on it today, because I am broadcasting a game with a playoff hopefull.

The fight for the fifth and final spot in the playoffs is in a three-way tie right now between F&M, Muhlenberg, and Swarthmore.

F&M vs. Ursinus
Muhlenberg at Gettysburg
Swarthmore at McDaniel

Head-to-head, all three teams went 1-1, so you have to go to the rest of the conference starting at the top and working your way down.

-   If ALL three teams win, then Muhlenberg gets the tiebreaker because they will have defeated Gettysburg (on Saturday) and the only team of the three to beat the Bullets.
-   If ALL three teams lose, then Muhlenberg gets the tiebreaker because they will have defeated Dickinson (F&M eliminated due to 0-2 v JHU; Swat then eliminated due to 0-2 v Dickinson)
-   If Swat and F&M win and Muhlenberg losses, then Swat gets the tiebreaker because they defeated Johns Hopkins and F&M did not.
-   If F&M and Muhlenberg win and Swat losses, then Muhlenberg gets the tiebreaker because they would be the only team to beat Gettysburg
-   If Swat and Muhlenberg win and Swat losses, then Muhlenberg gets the tiebreaker because they would be the only team to beat Gettysburg

So Muhlenberg has the most opportunities to get in.

F&M can only get in if they are the lone team in the fifth slot, they lose all tiebreakers to the other two.

Swarthmore can only get in if Muhlenberg losses to Gettysburg.

Feel free to check my work ... I can't say I know for sure I'm accurate.

Here is the wording for the fifth-place spot:

C. Tie-Breaker Format

2. Ties for the final playoff seed will be determined by applying the following criteria in the order listed:

• head-to-head Conference competition among the tied teams;
  • team with the best record vs. teams in descending order of standing (1st place, 2nd, etc.). It should be noted that if 1 (c) above had to be used to break a tie between teams, those teams will be considered as tied for purposes of applying this tie-breaker;
  • once the above criteria have been used to reduce the number of tied teams, they will be used again on the teams that remain tied;
  • if the application of 2(a), 2(b) and 2(c) does not determine the final seed for the playoffs, a tie-breaker game will be played. The host for the game will be determined through a coin flip by the Executive Director. It should be noted that, under the provisions of criteria 2, a tie-breaker game would only be played if the teams had split their head-to-head games, and the tied teams' records were identical against every other team in the Conference. The rationale of 2(d) is that a tiebreaker game should be held if, and only if, the only other possible way to determine the final playoff team was a coin flip.

saratoga

Regardless of how many chances there may be to back into the playoffs for the Mules, there is no way I see them winning at G-burg tomorrow.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: saratoga on February 21, 2020, 08:15:51 PM

Regardless of how many chances there may be to back into the playoffs for the Mules, there is no way I see them winning at G-burg tomorrow.

Gettysburg has been dealing with an illness in the team that as of just over a week ago had half the squad affected. I'm pretty sure whatever it was still had them off their game against Dickinson. While on paper I agree, that illness cost G'burg the regular season title (or at the very least a share of it) ... I'm not betting on anything until the game is over.

Rofrog

Question does Nate Davis vote on the MA region?

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Rofrog on February 21, 2020, 11:22:48 PM
Question does Nate Davis vote on the MA region?

He is on the Mid-Atlantic committee, yes. He is the chair of the Mid-Atlantic. Thus, he guides the committee, but he is NOT allowed to vote on the Mid-Atlantic RAC nor discuss his team. However, he then represents the Mid-Atlantic and has a say on the national committee. However, if it has to do with his team, he must remove himself from the call.

You like to try and pretend there are conspiracies, but I know the liaisons well. They don't allow for those who have direct interest (i.e. coaches of teams being discussed) to be involved especially on the women's liaison who takes it to an extreme. The women's national committee has had to bracket with just two committee members because the other six were coaching teams in the tournament. I don't completely agree with that extreme, but I do agree with the idea that if a coach's team is "at the table" for selections or hosting or whatever, they should not participate.

Here is another topic we talk about often on the multi-regional boards and on Hoopsville especially this time of year. Take some time and tune in. We don't do it just for giggles.

Pat Coleman

Comparing Haverford to Gettysburg is likely not what the committee is looking at. Haverford lost to Catholic, which is in the bottom spot. There is a little string of head-to-head results in that ranking.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Centennial has called off winter competition and tournaments (along with fall)... but schools have the autonomy to schedule their own games if they want (though, the press release falls WELL short of actually saying that): https://centennial.prestosports.com/sports/general/2020-21/fall-winter_statement