FB: Liberty League

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonny Utah

I have a gut feeling we might see a home/home series between Ithaca and Hobart this year.  Why not right?

PBR...

FYI... Muhlenberg just pulled the plug on football this season... possibly in the spring....

https://muhlenbergsports.com/news/2020/7/7/general-centennial-conference-announces-decision-on-fall-sports.aspx

Given health and other related concerns, the Centennial Conference Presidents Council has decided to suspend any intercollegiate competition for sports scheduled for the fall semester. The presidents will reevaluate this decision by the end of September, based on work to be done by the Conference to assess sports-specific activities and the experiences on the schools' campuses. The presidents have determined football will not be played in the fall. The Conference will also explore the possibility of shifting certain fall sports, including football, to the spring.

Jonny Utah

Quote from: PBR... on July 07, 2020, 06:26:21 PM
FYI... Muhlenberg just pulled the plug on football this season... possibly in the spring....

https://muhlenbergsports.com/news/2020/7/7/general-centennial-conference-announces-decision-on-fall-sports.aspx

Given health and other related concerns, the Centennial Conference Presidents Council has decided to suspend any intercollegiate competition for sports scheduled for the fall semester. The presidents will reevaluate this decision by the end of September, based on work to be done by the Conference to assess sports-specific activities and the experiences on the schools' campuses. The presidents have determined football will not be played in the fall. The Conference will also explore the possibility of shifting certain fall sports, including football, to the spring.

I don't get it.  Does that mean no sports at all until the end of September?  Or just "intercollegiate?"

I'm assuming they mean the entire league simply isn't having sports until they reassess at the end of Sept. 

Am I also correct in saying the NCAA is going forward with fall football championships for d3?  This would mean only teams who play in the fall are eligible for championships. 

I'm guessing "spring football" will just be like Nescac football for leagues who decide to do it.  Cut the games in half and just okay within the league.

Oline89

Quote from: Jonny Utah on July 07, 2020, 06:47:41 PM
Quote from: PBR... on July 07, 2020, 06:26:21 PM

There is no way there will be spring football.  These colleges just don't have the facilities or the training/medical staff to cover winter/spring/fall sports at the same time.  Anyway, the virus threat in PA has really been mitigated, not sure why the CC has made this decision.    I would assume that a power/elite school with a huge endowment (JHU) was a big influence.   A home and home with Ithaca-Hobart sounds great, as long as the official game is the one at Boswell Field!   ;D
I don't get it.  Does that mean no sports at all until the end of September?  Or just "intercollegiate?"

I'm assuming they mean the entire league simply isn't having sports until they reassess at the end of Sept. 

Am I also correct in saying the NCAA is going forward with fall football championships for d3?  This would mean only teams who play in the fall are eligible for championships. 

I'm guessing "spring football" will just be like Nescac football for leagues who decide to do it.  Cut the games in half and just okay within the league.

Jonny Utah

I think you can do spring football, you just can't have kids playing 20+ games in 7-9 months.  And I think the medical staff and facilities would be fine, as I bet schedules for spring sports will be reduced as well.  But it just won't count for anything.

But back to the home and home, I don't know what they are going to do there in terms of playing other teams.  The LL statement seems to hint that they only want league games (I could be wrong in that).  This brings me to another question, and that's about the POol A bids and who can or can't make the playoffs?

And as it's been hinted here, for football at least the LL and E8 are gonna need some crossover games if they want to be included in the playoff mix I'm assuming.  The ncaa isn't going to allow teams to get bids if they play 5 or 6 games, that's why I hinted to the home and home (if the league is afraid of one team getting covid from another non league school that doesn't have the same testing regulations that the LL might have)

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Jonny Utah on July 07, 2020, 07:09:27 PM
The ncaa isn't going to allow teams to get bids if they play 5 or 6 games, that's why I hinted to the home and home (if the league is afraid of one team getting covid from another non league school that doesn't have the same testing regulations that the LL might have)

Yes, they are:

https://www.d3football.com/notables/2020/06/preseason-start-date-set-for-aug-10
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Jonny Utah

Quote from: Pat Coleman on July 07, 2020, 07:41:45 PM
The ncaa isn't going to allow teams to get bids if they play 5 or 6 games, that's why I hinted to the home and home (if the league is afraid of one team getting covid from another non league school that doesn't have the same testing regulations that the LL might have)

Yes, they are:

https://www.d3football.com/notables/2020/06/preseason-start-date-set-for-aug-10

I missed that.  Will the playoff structure (32 teams) remain the same?  (Don't link to some d3football article and make me look dumb twice in one day please)

Pat Coleman

No worries -- the size of the playoff field will probably depend on a lot of things, least of which is how many schools actually compete in Division III football this fall.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Jonny Utah

Quote from: Pat Coleman on July 07, 2020, 08:12:54 PM
No worries -- the size of the playoff field will probably depend on a lot of things, least of which is how many schools actually compete in Division III football this fall.

Thanks Pat.  I will say I'm feeling a little more optimistic about the LL release.  They sound like they have a plan and have their **** together.

jmcozenlaw

I think you can do spring football, you just can't have kids playing 20+ games in 7-9 months.  And I think the medical staff and facilities would be fine, as I bet schedules for spring sports will be reduced as well.  But it just won't count for anything.

But back to the home and home, I don't know what they are going to do there in terms of playing other teams.  The LL statement seems to hint that they only want league games (I could be wrong in that).  This brings me to another question, and that's about the POol A bids and who can or can't make the playoffs?

And as it's been hinted here, for football at least the LL and E8 are gonna need some crossover games if they want to be included in the playoff mix I'm assuming.  The ncaa isn't going to allow teams to get bids if they play 5 or 6 games, that's why I hinted to the home and home (if the league is afraid of one team getting covid from another non league school that doesn't have the same testing regulations that the LL might have)

Given that the spring teams already lost a season, there will be a HUGE push back on reducing the 2021 spring schedule to accommodate the move of fall (and/or winter) sports to the spring. I've got several A.D. and administrative contacts who have stated just that...................if the fall and/or winter teams lose a season, every team has now lost one season and everything possible (unless everything gets shut down due to a brutal wave two.........or a worse continuation of wave one) will be done to give the spring teams a full season after what happened to them a few months ago.

Bartman

Hmmm, at the rate leagues are cancelling Fall football  the remaining LL teams could have 3 teams in the NCAA playoffs ;D. Maybe we can have real regional NCAA Championship brackets this year.( and Ithaca can have their second shot at Hobart after we take care of business at the BOZ in the regular season  ;)  This will continue to be a strange year as we try to get back to normal and the college world responds to living with the virus...Congrats to the Liberty League college Presidents for stepping up to  give all Fall sports a chance to compete....we can do this as long as everyone is disciplined on and off the field. As far as Spring Football, I wouldn't be counting on it as colleges that have cancelled this Fall will be tentative to embrace a Spring with no vaccine . I'm also thinking they will be concerned by the challenges experienced in the Fall as there will inevitably be positive cases in  sports  that will interrupt participation and challenge coaches and administrations once they start their seasons. Team bubbles yield Championships ??? It will be a crazy year for sports, and life in general. Let's get on with it . 
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

Frank Rossi

Union will be announcing in a little while that they will not be playing fall sports and will update on winter and spring sports on 9/15. This is one of the first schools that will have all students back and that independently canceled their season without conference unity.

jknezek

Quote from: Frank Rossi on July 13, 2020, 10:57:15 AM
Union will be announcing in a little while that they will not be playing fall sports and will update on winter and spring sports on 9/15. This is one of the first schools that will have all students back and that independently canceled their season without conference unity.

Several schools have done this including W&L. But yeah, not too many... yet.

Frank Rossi

Quote from: jknezek on July 13, 2020, 11:01:15 AM

Not independently from the conference. W&L yes. The NESCAC/Centennial/UAA schools in the PAC are a different story. The general trend for schools like RPI and Bowdoin initially was that they weren't bringing all classes back, so they couldn't play.

Oline89

Quote from: Frank Rossi on July 13, 2020, 11:20:25 AM
Quote from: jknezek on July 13, 2020, 11:01:15 AM

Not independently from the conference. W&L yes. The NESCAC/Centennial/UAA schools in the PAC are a different story. The general trend for schools like RPI and Bowdoin initially was that they weren't bringing all classes back, so they couldn't play.

So the students will be on campus, just no sports?  Seems like a bias against the athletes to me.  Theater, dance, debate all canceled?