FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HSCTiger fan

Quote from: jknezek on January 19, 2018, 11:14:07 AM
Quote from: SaintsFAN on January 19, 2018, 07:18:15 AM
Quote from: jknezek on January 17, 2018, 02:34:22 PM
Quote from: Warrior71 on January 17, 2018, 02:23:00 PM
Any up dates or rumors on a new Head Coach for W&L?

I believe the ad for a new head coach is still up on NCAA.com, so they may still be collecting resumes. Then they need to be winnowed down, multiple round interviews scheduled... it's a process. We are only 2 weeks in from the announcement Coach Abell had resigned and 17 days (more or less) from when he informed the school. As impatient as I am to know something, I doubt anything will be finalized until near Feb or early Feb. If any rumors come out, it will probably be when some interviews happen on campus, but that's a pretty low probability.

I think we are just going to have to wait until the school announces a hiring.

We went through something similar prior to my senior year.  Previous coach resigned in December.  Dean Paul wasn't hired until late February.  It kills recruiting for that year.  We were lucky to have a coach on staff who took the lead to make sure guys were in the gym and doing what they were supposed to in the classroom. 

I'm sure recruiting is a little different at W&L, but searches like this usually temper my expectations for recruiting.

Yes. I'm concerned about recruiting, but again, it's been just a hair over 2 weeks. If W&L gets on the ball and gets this settled in the next 2 weeks or so some of the damage could be mitigated. But coming off last year's small class, there just isn't much room for error. This was not a good year for this to happen.

That being said, I still think the problem with W&L is getting the kids in, not getting 30 or so quality players interested. Right now, the remaining coaches simply have to be out there selling the school and the education. You know you aren't going to get traction on football without a head coach, but you can just keep telling the recruits that there aren't too many better educations available anywhere. Football is still going to be there regardless of the coach, but you are going to W&L for the degree.

I'm sure not everyone will stick it out, but it's a decent hook not to lose kids until the new coach can get in and at least talk to them. I'd be more concerned about losing the very cream of the kids that were already interested to Davidson.

Yes is only been about 2 weeks. But the problem is that Abell and his assistants were at least a month into recruiting. Their VERY best prospects for WL are now their best prospects to go to Davidson. According to the Charlotte Observer Davidson's leading rusher last year was a freshmen running back who narrowed his choices to Davidson and WL. If Abell is taking his best assistants with him then what's left a WL is part time coaches. Most part-time guys aren't usually out on the recruiting trail.

Davidson may not be an athletic Rival but without a doubt they are one of WL's academic rivals. I mean they're only so many 1350 SAT good football players out there.
Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

GeneralFootball

I know that I am still going to W/L. I like Coach Abell and he will do a great job at Davidson. I believe that Washington and Lee has their program headed in the right direction and want to be a part of that winning tradition they are building. The other recruits I have talked too stated that they are all in. I feel the incoming class we will be fine. A great group of players coming back too. 

jknezek

Quote from: GeneralFootball on January 21, 2018, 07:44:17 PM
I know that I am still going to W/L. I like Coach Abell and he will do a great job at Davidson. I believe that Washington and Lee has their program headed in the right direction and want to be a part of that winning tradition they are building. The other recruits I have talked too stated that they are all in. I feel the incoming class we will be fine. A great group of players coming back too.

It's a great school. I'll never regret my 4 years in Lexington and the vast majority of alumni feel the same. As for football in the future, there is hardly a weak spot in the athletic department anymore if the improvement in the men's and women's basketball teams are an indicator of the future. I don't think football is going to go back to being a performance outlier. W&L has the ability to pay for a very strong coach and staff, has wonderful facilities, and an excellent reputation on and off the field and after graduation. I don't think any recruit will regret at least waiting to make up his mind until the new coach is chosen and can speak with him, let alone coming to Lexington for 4 years.

HSCTiger fan

Quote from: GeneralFootball on January 21, 2018, 07:44:17 PM

I'm glad you have chosen WL and the ODAC to continue your football and academic careers.  Best of luck to you.
Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

GeneralFootball

Thank You!! Love the ODAC and Washington and Lee!

dadHSC

Just received the HSC 2018 schedule, looks like November will be interesting.  Sept 1 at Averett;  Sept 8 Christopher Newport;  Sept. 15 University of New England (?);  Sept 29 Emory & Henry; Oct 6 at Shenandoah; Oct 13 at Bridgewater; Oct 20 Guilford; Oct 27 at Ferrum; Nov 3 at Washington & Lee;  Nov 10 (Need you ask?)

jknezek

Quote from: dadHSC on January 23, 2018, 08:31:44 AM
Just received the HSC 2018 schedule, looks like November will be interesting.  Sept 1 at Averett;  Sept 8 Christopher Newport;  Sept. 15 University of New England (?);  Sept 29 Emory & Henry; Oct 6 at Shenandoah; Oct 13 at Bridgewater; Oct 20 Guilford; Oct 27 at Ferrum; Nov 3 at Washington & Lee;  Nov 10 (Need you ask?)

UNE is playing their first year this year. They played some non-counting games last year. New members of the CCF. What a bleh game for H-SC. But I guess better than NNA. At least it is a real DIII game.

Hawks88

With Huntingdon having played H-SC in the past I wouldn't have minded that series being renewed. That week 3 would have fit nicely too with HC looking for a third non-conference game now. It would be fun if we could match up with someone in the ODAC for that third game.

jknezek

Quote from: Hawks88 on January 23, 2018, 11:41:55 AM
With Huntingdon having played H-SC in the past I wouldn't have minded that series being renewed. That week 3 would have fit nicely too with HC looking for a third non-conference game now. It would be fun if we could match up with someone in the ODAC for that third game.

With the ODAC adding SVa in 2019, H-SC probably needed a one off game, not a home and home. I'd imagine that 3rd OOC for the ODAC schools this year is going to be full of NNA again, as it is a tough spot to fill if you weren't using a backside of a home and home from 2017. I'm curious who W&L will have filling that hole since the CMS series ended last year and I'm pretty sure Wash U was a one and done since they join the CCIW and have a schedule up on their website.

I know W&L has Dickinson and I'm assuming Sewanee on the schedule. That third spot will be interesting.

Hawks88

Quote from: jknezek on January 23, 2018, 11:55:27 AM

With the ODAC adding SVa in 2019, H-SC probably needed a one off game, not a home and home. I'd imagine that 3rd OOC for the ODAC schools this year is going to be full of NNA again, as it is a tough spot to fill if you weren't using a backside of a home and home from 2017. I'm curious who W&L will have filling that hole since the CMS series ended last year and I'm pretty sure Wash U was a one and done since they join the CCIW and have a schedule up on their website.

I know W&L has Dickinson and I'm assuming Sewanee on the schedule. That third spot will be interesting.
I forgot about SVa. Looks like we may be going to far off places for that third game for the near future. Not a lot of options; Wisconsin, Michigan, Thomas More(until they figure out where they're going), Northeast, West Coast? Back to the old Independent days. Anybody, anywhere.

tigerFanAlso2

HSC schedule is up and it is hard to believe the damn thing;

5 of 7 ODAC games on the road; 9/29 vs. E&H, 10/6 @ SU, 10/13 @ BC, 10/20 vs. GC, 10/27 @ Ferrum, 11/3 @ W&L, 11/10 vs. RMC.

ODAC should have made a clean sweep by putting the Tigers on the road 7 straight weeks.

Scots13

Quote from: Hawks88 on January 23, 2018, 01:20:20 PM
Quote from: jknezek on January 23, 2018, 11:55:27 AM

I forgot about SVa. Looks like we may be going to far off places for that third game for the near future. Not a lot of options; Wisconsin, Michigan, Thomas More(until they figure out where they're going), Northeast, West Coast? Back to the old Independent days. Anybody, anywhere.

We need more teams in D3 in the *actual* south (not PA, sorry guys).  2 teams in AL and GA, zero in SC, 3 in TN, and 2 in KY (including TMC for time being), 1 in AR is not helping our cause. VA and NC are the only ones that really enjoy having a good D3 landscape.
With that being said, has anyone heard if any NAIA or D2 schools are looking at moving? 
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

jknezek

What we really needed was the ODAC to only pick up SVa, leave Ferrum in the USAC, and the USAC and ODAC to partner for one OOC game per year. That then only leaves 2 more for teams to find. Why the ODAC first took Ferrum and then took SVa is still a complete and utter mystery to me.

Scots13

Quote from: jknezek on January 23, 2018, 02:18:22 PM
What we really needed was the ODAC to only pick up SVa, leave Ferrum in the USAC, and the USAC and ODAC to partner for one OOC game per year. That then only leaves 2 more for teams to find. Why the ODAC first took Ferrum and then took SVa is still a complete and utter mystery to me.

I agree. Other than a couple outliers in Huntingdon and LaGrange, Ferrum was in a pretty ideal spot for the USAC, for football at least.

If anyone finds the E&H schedule, let me know. I'm interested to see if we're on their schedule this year after hearing we weren't going to be the last few years. Maryville is home vs. Centre next year for what I'm assuming was the Hanover spot.  Having Berry and Centre the few couple weeks of the season are going to be tough. Hoping we bounce back from this 5-5 season.
Ferrum's gone by Brevard takes that game. Schedule should be wrapped up for MC if E&H is still a go.
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

tigerFanAlso2

received wrong info; HSC plays 4 of 7 on the road.
Home vs. E&H, GC & RMC. On the road vs. W&L, Ferrum, BC & SU.
This makes perfectly good sense.

JK

Good luck with new coaching staff. I'm sure W&L will make the transition as painless as possible and certain there will be many qualified coaches apply. Lexington is no bad place to call home. Might retire in that area one day myself.