BB: ODAC: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by Matt Barnhart (kid), December 30, 2005, 12:31:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D-BAT

LTBB1971

WVC picked up where it left off last year.  Standing at 2-7, team is batting .237 with a 5 ERA.  On the mound, lots of encouregement for SO Alex Tucci after a tough freshman year (6.04 ERA, 64 H, 50.2 INN).  Kid is really come into his own and has anchored the pitching staff in his 2 starts.

Hitting on the other hand has been much better than their .236 Team BA says.  ODU transfer OF K. Belgrave (.400) and 3B Josh Miller (.304) has been hitting really well.  I'm looking to see more playing time for OF G. Annunziata (.353) as he has also come along this year.

LTBB1971

Alex Tucci (9 Inn, 9 H, 1 R, 0 BB, 5 K) pitched another beauty for VWC on a 4-1 win over the Quakers.  Remaining SP, continue to struggle with team ERA at 5.13 so far.  OF K. Belgrave (.436, 6 XBH, 4 SB), 3B Josh Miller (.323, 5 RBI) continue to impress.  Marlins have also found a new 1B on sophomore Casey Bryant (.500).

Up next is a tough match up vs. CNU today.  I'm assuming righty Reid Hoffler will take the mound for VA Wesleyan.

D-BAT

If folks are gonna knock of the SU Hornets, it better be this year as their top 5 pitchers so far feature just 1 SR, 1 SOPH and 3 rookies.

Hornets with 10+ bats on the year are just 1 SR, 3 JR's, 4-SOPH and 4 rookies.

This by far is the youngest hornet squad I've ever seen take the field for Shenandoah.

http://suhornets.com/sports/bsb/2012-13/teams/shenandoah?view=lineup

D-BAT

The SU Hornets get a DH sweep today over Guilford by the scores of 5 to 4 and 9 to 2.

LTBB1971

It has been a long, long time since I've seen VA Wesleyan (4-12) in the baseman of the ODAC.  Wow!  I thought with Coach A. Wissinger (CNU) addition, things would turn around quickly but they haven't.  Only time will tell.

Pitching has gotten better of late, with JR R. Hoffler (3.56), JR B. Kirby (2.25) and SO A. Tucci (3.29) anchoring the pitching staff.

Offensively, I think is time for a change at 2B (Ittner .109) and RF (Polk .172) since team needs to score more runs.

D-BAT

Has anyone else notice that EMU has 11 wins after 19 games? 

I have never seen this previously 11 wins after 19 games ... and EMU is tied at 4 going into the 10th vs. SU with the game being suspended due to darkness this evening.

Kudos to Coach Spotts ... I've always said IF EMU gets a quality coach, then someone can win there!

LTBB1971

VWC falls to Lynchburg in doubleheader.  Now sitting at 4-14 and needing a sweep vs Emory and Henry this weekend...BADLY! 

HITTERS ARE WARMING UP...

1B C. Bryant - .429, 8 RBI
CF K. Belgrave - .394, 2 HR, 9 RBI, 18 R, 9 XBH, 7 SB (IMO in the running for ODAC POY)
C B. Crowe - .333, 14 RBI, 10 R, 9 XBH, 3 SB
3B J. Miller - .316, 10 RBI, 4 SB
LF S. Montgomery - .421, 4 SB

LTBB1971

VWC sweeps EHU!  Much needed 2 wins to boost the Marlins confidence.  Defensively, the infield is still terrible but pitching was terrific and hitting has really warmed up of late as many of the boys are swinging hot bats.  Up next is the Yellow Jackets (RMC)!

D-BAT

VWC and SU split today ... 1-0 in game 1 and 3-2 in game 2 ... VWC is the best 18 loss team I've ever seen. 

They've had three 3-run losses, five 2-run losses and five 1-run losses.  They probably could of very easily been 17-8 after what I saw today.

I said previously, IF teams are gonna beat SU, then it better be this year as they have the youngest squad I've ever seen take the field here in Winchester.

LTBB1971

D-Bat,
I don't see VWC games when they are away but it sounds like they put it all together this weekend.  Too bad I do not think they will have a good enough record to make it to the ODAC tournament unless they get on a roll and turn things around very, very quickly. 

Tucci, Stokus and Hoffler have pitched well enough to keep them in games lately and offense has found it's groove.  If they can improve their 2B/SS defense, they can turn some heads.

LTBB1971

VWC sweeps Roanoke at Marlins Field to go to 6-8 in COnference and give themselves a shot at making the ODAC tournament.  The wins moved them to 7th place with 6 games remaining in Conference.

Offensively, CF K. Belgrave (.371, 24 R, 12 XBH, 12 SB), 3B J. Miller (.337, 18 RBI, 11 SB), and 1B/DH C. Bryant (.320, 8 BB) continue to pound the ball.  What continues to hold the Marlins back is defense  as they are 9th in Conference in defense with a .944 Field % (TERRIBLE!!!!).

tigerfan

It looks like an exciting finish to the regular season coming up.   Most of the teams are still in the running for a spot in the tournament.  A 10-10 finish will guarantee entry.  Obviously, BC and SU have spots wrapped up.  W&L, H-SC and R-MC are well positioned to earn the next 3.  The #6 team is still wide open.  I'm thinking that a 9-11 record will get some team in the tournament.   Lynchburg at 7-7-1 would seem to be a good bet, but they have to play undefeated BC and a rapidly maturing SU squad in 4 of their last 5 games.  Guilford only has 3 more games and holds the tiebreaker with Lynchburg; if they can beat E&H and split with R-MC they might punch their ticket.  VWC is very much in the mix; it is reasonable to see them getting to 9 wins with remaining DH's with W&L and EMU and a single with H-SC.   I don't like RC's chances of getting 3 wins in their last 5 games as much as the others. 

This weekend will be a great time to catch some ODAC games.   ;D

hasanova

I hope the Quakers can make it to the ODAC tournament, but, at 7-10, they've got to win at least 2 of the last 3.

Memorial service at New Garden Friends Meeting (across the street from the college) tomorrow (4/13) at 1 pm for long-time Guilford Coach Stuart T. (Rock) Maynard.  Coach Maynard (he would have been 95 this month) graduated from Guilford in 1943 and served his country in WWII and his alma mater in many capacities from 1952-1985.  The Batting Center adjacent to McBane Field bears his name and was dedicated in 2010. 

The start time for the DH with Southern Virginia has been moved to 2 pm.

Peace, Coach.  You are already sorely missed.

D-BAT

Lynchburg College ... I was very impressed with them ... they are a lot better than their 8-8-1 ODAC / 18-15-1 won/loss record.

Trying to figure out how they have 8 losses in ODAC.

Was very impressed with Henderlite in game 1 as he wastes no time in getting the ball back on the bump and throwing it again!