MIAA

Started by d3fan1, June 11, 2009, 11:42:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Knight

Quote from: Flying Dutch Fan on September 06, 2010, 08:08:54 PM
So what, if anything, do you make of Calvin winning a close (at least score-wise) game with MSOE 1-0, while the next day Hope beats the same team 9-1?

Yeah, that's a pretty remarkable number of goals that Hope scored. What was the game like?

Last year Calvin might not have made it to the NCAA tourney at all but for some last-minute heroics to edge out Hope for the season championship. I'm sure it'll be another real battle in the MIAA this year.

N.B. Calvin moved up to #1 in the national rankings this week with Messiah's loss. They don't really deserve it -- they wouldn't be ranked #1 without the accomplishments of last year's team -- and I'm sure they'll move way down with their first loss. If they want to hold onto that ranking they'll have to earn it at Friday's game at #18 Wheaton.

Dark Knight

It was a hard-fought, chippy game, but Calvin took care of business and beat Wheaton 3-2 at Wheaton after taking a 2-0 lead. Wheaton plays lots of men forward and Calvin took advantage with some through balls, and got a goal that way, but the other two goals were off a throw-in and a corner. Calvin had a 13-10 shot advantage but they were playing quite defensively for the last part of the game, while Wheaton was lucky to have their keeper on their own side of the field.

Now will Hope go in there and beat them 11-3 tomorrow?

d3fan1

Quote from: Dark Knight on September 10, 2010, 10:17:20 PM
It was a hard-fought, chippy game, but Calvin took care of business and beat Wheaton 3-2 at Wheaton after taking a 2-0 lead. Wheaton plays lots of men forward and Calvin took advantage with some through balls, and got a goal that way, but the other two goals were off a throw-in and a corner. Calvin had a 13-10 shot advantage but they were playing quite defensively for the last part of the game, while Wheaton was lucky to have their keeper on their own side of the field.

Now will Hope go in there and beat them 11-3 tomorrow?

d3fan1

Sorry, I messed up on the quote. I wanted to comment on the statement that Calvin doesn't deserve the #1 ranking and that they are only there because of the accomplishments of last year's team.
It is true that they got the opportunity to be in that position based on their 2nd place finish, but if you see them play, you would know they are the real deal! They are earning that ranking with there play on the field!

Dark Knight

Quote from: d3fan1 on September 12, 2010, 12:05:49 AM
They are earning that ranking with there play on the field!

Agreed. Winning against a quality Wheaton program at one of the toughest venues in d3 was big.

Flying Dutch Fan

Quote from: Dark Knight on September 12, 2010, 06:43:41 AM
Quote from: d3fan1 on September 12, 2010, 12:05:49 AM
They are earning that ranking with there play on the field!

Agreed. Winning against a quality Wheaton program at one of the toughest venues in d3 was big.

No arguement there.  And while I would have prefered a couple of wins from the Dutchmen this weekend, I'm not upset about 2 ties - considering the opponents
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

KnightFalcon

I was at the Calvin-Wheaton game and thought Calvin played better than I expected.  Was wondering how the #1 ranking would impact them.  Even with Wheaton having all the motivation to beat them (2 losses last year, playing #1 at home) I thought Calvin played with confidence and intensity.  They looked very organized while Wheaton looked like they were still getting to know each other ... not surprising given the very high number of freshman on their roster.  And they looked even stronger the next night against North Central - a team that Hope tied.  Calvin's freshmen looked very solid as well ... LOTS of speed up front.

Tough to run the table in the MIAA, but if Calvin gets through a couple of tough road games this week, they could conceivably stay #1 heading into the NCAA tournament.

JerseyGirlGB

I was at both the Hope and Calvin games vs North Central. Calvin is the real deal. Hope needs some (Hope) in their defense.

My son plays (sort of) for North Central. Their coach is not a big believer in subbing. Played the whole Hope game with just 3 subs.  Almost won but Hope scored with 41 seconds left. Team was pretty beat after 110 minutes. Then to play Calvin the next night, they were able to keep it competitive for about 25 minutes before requiring subs.

Calvin looked more competitive after beating Wheaton than Hope did fresh off the bus. But one never knows which team shows up to play in most matches. This could be the reason for the huge discrepancy with MSOE.

Jim Matson

Calvin grabbed the new No. 1 spot in this week's Top 25 Poll.
Managing Editor, D3soccer.com

Dark Knight

Quote from: KnightFalcon on September 13, 2010, 04:09:31 PM
Calvin's freshmen looked very solid as well ... LOTS of speed up front.

One player you may be thinking of is Zach Willis, a freshman who comes in off the bench to provide some instant offense. He is leading the team with 3 goals on 7 shots.

Quote from: KnightFalcon on September 13, 2010, 04:09:31 PM
Tough to run the table in the MIAA, but if Calvin gets through a couple of tough road games this week, they could conceivably stay #1 heading into the NCAA tournament.

Is Wheaton the only ranked opponent Calvin will have unless and until they get to the NCAA tournament?

Jim Matson

It looks that way.  The Knights need to schedule one or more tougher matches in September - maybe hop into one of the strong tournaments out East.

But they are playing well.  They make few mistakes and operate efficiently as a team.  Last year, I would not have guessed that they were to play in the national semi-final based on what I saw during the regular season - but that is because I was looking for the wrong thing; some sort of powerful goal scoring machine, or some amazing defensive stance.  What they has was just a darn good method of controlling the ball as a team, working the pitch quickly and efficiently, and scoring when they needed to.  I think that style works real well in D3 soccer, and I think it will take them far into the post-season again this year.
Managing Editor, D3soccer.com

Dark Knight

Quote from: Jim Matson on September 16, 2010, 09:19:32 AM
It looks that way.  The Knights need to schedule one or more tougher matches in September - maybe hop into one of the strong tournaments out East.

I find Calvin's men's schedule a little surprising given the tough schedule the women play -- with the same person coaching both teams. The women have 5 opponents who were in the top 25 at the beginning of the year. Maybe it's harder to schedule top opponents on the men's side.

Knight2Day

Quote from: Dark Knight on September 16, 2010, 12:43:14 PM
Quote from: Jim Matson on September 16, 2010, 09:19:32 AM
It looks that way.  The Knights need to schedule one or more tougher matches in September - maybe hop into one of the strong tournaments out East.

I find Calvin's men's schedule a little surprising given the tough schedule the women play -- with the same person coaching both teams. The women have 5 opponents who were in the top 25 at the beginning of the year. Maybe it's harder to schedule top opponents on the men's side.

The men and women do not have the same coach. The men's coach is Chris Hughes, the womens coach is Mark Recker. The women have always been known for searching out the best and therefore the best search out them as well. For the men, their national success has just recently come to a head, the women on the other hand have been a top national program for quite a few years now. The tough schedule will come soon for the men, especially if they keep producing winners over the next few years and if this season bears the same kind of fruit as last year.

KnightFalcon

Agreed - Calvin's national profile has just come about in the last couple of years.  It would be great for them to go out east next year.  For their program to grow, they need to get exposed to the level of competition in that part of the country.  Having watched both the Calvin-Wheaton and Hobart-Messiah games this year, I'd say the stronger teams are out east.  That said, Calvin's style does seem to fit D3 well and while they are not flashy, they know what they are trying to do and they play very well together as a team and with a lot of confidence.  Their toughest matches the rest of the way will be the 2 league games against arch-rival Hope where anything can happen.

sflzman

On a completely un-realated topic to what you are talking about....

Alma got their first win of the Josh Oakley era this weekend. They are truly looking like a fresh and renwed team. they've come miles from where they have been in the past witht the previous coach.
Be not afraid of greatness - Shakespeare