Previous topic - Next topic

Greek Tragedy

Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Greek Tragedy

I'm sure this was already discussed but I'm not always over here. When Carroll leaves next year, is the conference going to play a full round robin? Is anyone being added or anyone else leaving?
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Gregory Sager

They already play a full round-robin. I think you mean a full double round-robin, right?
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Greek Tragedy

Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

GreenKnightAlum

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on August 25, 2015, 09:00:21 AM
I'm sure this was already discussed but I'm not always over here. When Carroll leaves next year, is the conference going to play a full round robin? Is anyone being added or anyone else leaving?

I'm fairly certain that I heard that teams will indeed be going back to the double round robin format, but with a few twists. They are going to go back to having 2 back-to-back weekends where a team, say SNC, would play two of their furthest opponents, in this example, at Illinois College and at Knox. Then during the second Friday/Saturday weekend, IC would travel to play SNC and Ripon, for example. Now this isn't exactly the matchups that would take place, but it gives you an idea.

I've also heard that the MWC was going to abandon their current 23 game limit and allow teams to play the maximum amount of games allowable under the NCAA (26?). This is partially due MCW teams (SNC as of late) having such weak regional rankings come tournament time.

CCRamFam

New to the board, been a lurker, now have a son who is a freshman at Cornell.  I don't see much posted from my Cornell brethren, guess I'll have to fill that void as best I can (everyone's obviously clamoring for the latest and greatest from Mt. Vernon).

The back-to-back weekend format would be interesting.  Does that mean no mid-week game, then?  Or filled with a local non-conference game maybe?

hickory_cornhusker

If they schedule like they used to, there would be midweek games against teams that are close to one another such as LFC vs BC or GC vs CC

Gregory Sager

Quote from: GreenKnightAlum on September 01, 2015, 05:21:11 PM
I've also heard that the MWC was going to abandon their current 23 game limit and allow teams to play the maximum amount of games allowable under the NCAA (26?).

Twenty-five, not including the conference tournament.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I've also heard that the MWC was going to abandon their current 23 game limit and allow teams to play the maximum amount of games allowable under the NCAA (26?). This is partially due MCW teams (SNC as of late) having such weak regional rankings come tournament time.

They should, honestly. It is only hurting their programs. 18 games of 23 last year leaves very little wiggle room to adjust that SOS and improve it while also not having to put together a killer five-game schedule to do it (playing roulette with that schedule).

And as Greg said... 25 games not counting the conference tournament (it's technically 26-games and the tournament counts as one-game no matter how many games you play).
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on September 02, 2015, 11:04:45 AM

They should, honestly. It is only hurting their programs. 18 games of 23 last year leaves very little wiggle room to adjust that SOS and improve it while also not having to put together a killer five-game schedule to do it (playing roulette with that schedule)

I've never understood the logic behind the MWC's 23-game schedule. Yeah, I get that there's some brand issues involved, inasmuch as the MWC tries to market itself as a circuit of schools that're a notch above everybody else from an academic point of view. (Such brand issues don't seem to matter to the UAA or NESCAC, however, both of whom play 25-game skeds.) But the difference between what the MWC allows now and what the rest of D3 is allowed is only two games. Do two more games really make that much of an impact regarding the demands placed upon MWC basketball players inside and outside of the classroom? If the MWC was much more stringent -- permitting only, say, a 20-game regular season of its members -- then I could see that there was a serious philosophy of protecting academic precedence in place. But shaving a mere two games off of what D3 permits for a regular-season schedule merely looks arbitrary and, to my eyes, a bit silly.

AndOne

I've seen recruits react negatively when they learn that they will miss a minimum of 8 games over the course of their careers compared to what guidelines other conferences follow.
Looking at the situation in further detail reveals that this is approximately 1/3 of a "regular" (discounting conference and national tourney possibilities) season.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

What's stranger still... they are more than willing to have most of their games be conference games as if those are really the only ones that matter (and I can understand if some presidents are others do feel that way).

Centennial, UAA, NESCAC, and others as noted don't care about it... seems odd the MWC does as well. This is also why the 10% reduction bill last year which was partly sponsored by the Centennial (who has shorter practice time allotted in basketball preseason) and the MWC had a strange smell to it. It felt like conferences were trying to bring everyone down (or up) to their standards even though the ODAC sponsorship would have made you think otherwise (and honestly made me consider the larger problem at hand than what the stink was about).

I think the MWC has to consider adding the two more games which easily could be played when academics are not even a factor (mid-December to mid-January).
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

gbpuckfan

SNC president Tom Kunkel announced he is retiring after the 2016-17 academic year. I mention it here because of this part of the release:

==
    "This is a great institution and it is a privilege to serve as its seventh president," Kunkel said. "It is great fun, too, as we have been fortunate to advance the institution on many fronts. We still have much to do, and I look forward to using my remaining time here working on what is still a pretty long 'to do' list. This is certainly a time to ramp up and continue to make exciting things happen."

Kunkel said that list includes developing more endowed academic programs, raising additional scholarships for students, building more partnerships with other colleges, universities and K-12 schools, and continuing to advance the Donald J. Schneider School of Business and the college's collaboration with the Medical College of Wisconsin. A major capital priority is a renovation and expansion of the college's Schuldes Indoor Athletics Center.
==

It is rumored to include a new field house, with a full indoor track (Don't get me started on the idiots who designed the current facility), a pool, new locker rooms, workout facilities, etc. It will be an addition immediately south of Schuldes. Not sure when the formal announcement will come but will be relatively soon.
St. Norbert College Green Knights
NCAA D3 Hockey National Champions 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
Midwest Conf. football champs: 85, 87, 88, 89, 99, 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 06, 07, 10, 12, 13, 15, 18

AndOne

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on September 03, 2015, 02:32:53 PM
What's stranger still... they are more than willing to have most of their games be conference games as if those are really the only ones that matter (and I can understand if some presidents are others do feel that way).

Centennial, UAA, NESCAC, and others as noted don't care about it... seems odd the MWC does as well. This is also why the 10% reduction bill last year which was partly sponsored by the Centennial (who has shorter practice time allotted in basketball preseason) and the MWC had a strange smell to it. It felt like conferences were trying to bring everyone down (or up) to their standards even though the ODAC sponsorship would have made you think otherwise (and honestly made me consider the larger problem at hand than what the stink was about).

I think the MWC has to consider adding the two more games which easily could be played when academics are not even a factor (mid-December to mid-January).

1. And if the MWC powers that be favor having the vast majority of their games be of the conference variety, that desire will go further south beginning next season when Carroll leaves the conference.

2. It's hard to argue with Dave's idea of adding 2 games over the traditional Christmas break period.
I doubt many MWC student-athletes are giving much thought to Complex Functional Numerical Analysis, Neuroscientific Foundations, Fallacies, and Future, or any other challenging academic pursuits over the break.  8-)