MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Titan Q

As far as I know, this is IWU's complete recruiting class...

Lucas Heflen, 6-3 G/F (St. Charles North HS)
- 11.1 ppg, 5.1 rpg

Cole Khoury, 6-8 C (Columbia HS)
- 12.4 ppg, 6.3 rpg, 2.1 bpg, .620 FG

Cody Mitchell, 6-6 SF/PF (St. Charles East HS)
- 13.8 ppg, 8.6 rpg

Tommy Nelson, 6-5 PF (Bloomington Central Catholic HS)
- 18.2 ppg, 9.2 rpg, .590 FG
- 2A 3rd team all-state IBCA

Sam Painter, 6-3 SG (Litchfield HS)
- 19 ppg, 7 rpg, 4 apg
- 2A 3rd Team all-state IBCA

Keondre Schumacher 6-0 SG (D1 Winthrop U./Normal U High HS '17)
- 17.4 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 4.4 apg, 2.0 spg '16-17
- 3A 2nd team all-state IBCA '16-17
- Will be a So. next year

Brendan Smith, 6-8 C (St. Francis Borgia HS Mo.)
- 9.0 ppg, 7.1 rpg, .527 FG

Ryan Verhulst, 6-3 SG (Hersey HS)
- 6.2 ppg 

Luke Yoder, 6-0 PG (Bloomington Central Catholic HS)
- 16.2 ppg, 5.4 rpg, 5.9 apg, 1.9 spg
- 2A 1st team all-state IBCA

It looks to me like Ron Rose and his staff have done extremely well.  They've added talent at all 5 positions and there are a few guys here with 1st Team All-CCIW potential.

Titan Q

IWU's 2019-20 schedule - https://www.iwusports.com/schedule.aspx?path=mbball&schedule=268&.

Non-conference opponents:
* vs Blackburn (11/12)
* vs Calvin (11/15)
* vs Alma (11/16)
* at Chicago (11/19)
* at Lake Forest (11/23)
* at Anderson (11/27)
* vs Wash U (12/19)
* vs TBD in Phoenix (12/28)
* vs TBD in Phoenix (12/29)

The Phoenix games are at The PHHacility, which is where Elmhurst played Marietta and UW-La Crosse last year.  I believe one of the opponents there is Whitman.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Titan Q on May 26, 2019, 08:34:29 AM

The Phoenix games are at The PHHacility, which is where Elmhurst played Marietta and UW-La Crosse last year.  I believe one of the opponents there is Whitman.

The worst court I have ever seen.  Playing on that court, so far from home, over the holiday.  I'm not sure you can put any stock in those games at all.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Greek Tragedy

Warm weather vacation. You still want to win games. I'd be ok with that!
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Gregory Sager

There's gotta be a zillion other gyms in Phoenix where they can hold that annual tournament other than that abomination.

I don't think Jim Naismith intended for his game to be played inside a giant coffin.

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Titan Q

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on May 26, 2019, 10:48:17 AM

The worst court I have ever seen.  Playing on that court, so far from home, over the holiday.  I'm not sure you can put any stock in those games at all.

I think this is a bit extreme. 

As far as the "so far from home, over the holiday" part...I mean a whole bunch of teams play far from home over the holiday every year.  So I'm not sure what that part has to do with anything here.

As far as the court itself, it's definitely really funky...but I mean, both teams play on it.  Is there some reason to believe one particular team would have an advantage...to the point you wouldn't put stock in the result of the game?

https://thephhacility.com

Titan Q

Quote from: Gregory Sager on May 26, 2019, 12:55:23 PM
There's gotta be a zillion other gyms in Phoenix where they can hold that annual tournament other than that abomination.

I don't think Jim Naismith intended for his game to be played inside a giant coffin.

The guys who own/run the Phhacility run the tournament.  They do so, in part, to promote their place.  They hold a lot of stuff there.  For example, this past week a big NBA draft thing (Octagon Pro Day) - https://twitter.com/MattBabcock11/status/1131292831677419520.

Augie '09 grad Jeff Becker is the Director at The Phhacility btw.

And the money this place gives to teams to come play at this tournament is really big relative to every other D3 holiday tourney option out there.  I heard the financials and was pretty blown away.

Caz Bombers

Quote from: Titan Q on May 26, 2019, 01:28:37 PM

As far as the "so far from home, over the holiday" part...I mean a whole bunch of teams play far from home over the holiday every year.  So I'm not sure what that part has to do with anything here.

As far as the court itself, it's definitely really funky...but I mean, both teams play on it.  Is there some reason to believe one particular team would have an advantage...to the point you wouldn't put stock in the result of the game?

bruh this place looks like a dungeon where a basketball-themed serial killer (The Double Dribbler?) tortures his victims

Titan Q

Quote from: Caz Bombers on May 26, 2019, 01:44:24 PM

bruh this place looks like a dungeon where a basketball-themed serial killer (The Double Dribbler?) tortures his victims

The Lane Violator.

AndOne

It is difficult to understand how anyone can criticize this facility. After all, it's Arizona's premier facility for basketball development, tournaments, and event needs. 🏀  :D

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I watched at least two games played there last year where I'd also seen teams multiple times in other places.  Night and Day.  I'm not saying the winning team in Phoenix won't be the better team, but I wouldn't make judgments about either team based on what you see in those games.  It's just several degrees removed from a "typical" regular season basketball game.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Gregory Sager on May 26, 2019, 12:55:23 PM

Didn't James Naismith specifically invent the game to be played in a giant coffin?

Titan Q

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on May 27, 2019, 10:06:32 AM

I watched at least two games played there last year where I'd also seen teams multiple times in other places.  Night and Day.  I'm not saying the winning team in Phoenix won't be the better team, but I wouldn't make judgments about either team based on what you see in those games.  It's just several degrees removed from a "typical" regular season basketball game.

Looks like a typical game to me.  Just on a floor that is a weird color.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW76u9Pk7lI&t=800s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRkOHfXO1t0

Isn't it possible the the reason for the teams you watched playing sub-par was because that just happens sometimes in a holiday road game...and has nothing to do with the floor colors?  It's not like they are playing with 9-foot rims and a court that is a different shape.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Titan Q on May 27, 2019, 10:26:32 AM
Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on May 27, 2019, 10:06:32 AM

Looks like a typical game to me.  Just on a floor that is a weird color.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW76u9Pk7lI&t=800s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRkOHfXO1t0

Isn't it possible the the reason for the teams you watched playing sub-par was because that just happens sometimes in a holiday road game...and has nothing to do with the floor colors?  It's not like they are playing with 9-foot rims and a court that is a different shape.

It very well could be - that's already a consideration - I've just seen too many teams thrown off with unusual floor designs to really trust it.  It's just an extra layer of unusual.  If it were an adversity a team might likely see in the tournament, that could tell you something, but this just feels like a gimmick and it didn't look to me that those teams were playing to form.

sac

Oakland Univ. outside Detroit was the first school I remember going with the "blacktop" look 2 or 3 years ago.  Its gimmicky, but basketball is basketball.