Best teams from the past

Started by firstplaceloser, November 15, 2015, 10:21:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Right

I brought it up num-nutz because a school like Camden might need to rely on transfers and even JUCO's or maybe even 5th year seniors instead of a kid going to a prep-school for a PG year. If you read my post I was implying that you might have to get creative in recruiting to that school. I was not implying they won because of the transfers and even if they had who cares, you have to play to your advantages.

firstplaceloser

well thanks for making that so clear in your initial post.. no need to take it to heart

Gol2Gol

Camden is never going to win a sportsmanship award or be accused of having a nice bunch of kids (even by NJAC standards). That starts and ends on the sidelines...

Back to the topic. I think we can take Camden or any team who didn't win the National Championship should be out of the equation. I believe you have to win it to be considered.

1. almost any Messiah team that did win it...they dominated championships with a classy style of play and players. Whichever was their best team i would put on top.
2. 94' Bethany- had a bunch of Gambian national team players and a one year wonder team that made it look easy.
3. UNC Greensboro dominated 80's
4. OWU- 1st Championship team

Interesting side note:3 current coaches in NJAC won it as players..Rutler (stockton @ Stockton), Baker (Rowan @ Rowan), East (RUN @ kean)

Mr.Right

NO WAY...That 1998 OWU team was dominated by Williams in 1998 at OWU. They scored on a Gk error and were pinned in almost all game and very lucky to win that game. I would love to see an old boxscore from that game. Also, the Elite 8 match-up with Williams v SLU was the best game of that tournament and should have been the NCAA Championship. That was basically the same SLU side that went undefeated the following year and Williams snuck out of there in a snowstorm in penalties. Instant Classic. After that the Final 4 was like watching paint dry. OWU got the championship but no way that was an all time best team.

Midwest Soccer

Quote from: Gol2Gol on November 18, 2015, 10:41:22 AM
Camden is never going to win a sportsmanship award or be accused of having a nice bunch of kids (even by NJAC standards). That starts and ends on the sidelines...

Back to the topic. I think we can take Camden or any team who didn't win the National Championship should be out of the equation. I believe you have to win it to be considered.

1. almost any Messiah team that did win it...they dominated championships with a classy style of play and players. Whichever was their best team i would put on top.
2. 94' Bethany- had a bunch of Gambian national team players and a one year wonder team that made it look easy.

Interesting side note:3 current coaches in NJAC won it as players..Rutler (stockton @ Stockton), Baker (Rowan @ Rowan), East (RUN @ kean)

I heard once that the 1998 OWU team and its' 6 losses are the most a Martin coached team has had. Pretty insane if true. Even crazier that his "most loss" team is 1 of his 2 championship teams...

Unfortunately Trinity in 2007 didn't win it all (fell in PK's to Middlebury in final and finished with a 23-1 record because of it but they never trailed in a game the entire year and beat Messiah in the Final 4 in an absolute classic. 1 of the better games I've ever seen in the NCAA tournament.

lastguyoffthebench

Disagree... I'd have the 99 Messiah team that lost to SLU as an all time best team as well... And I think they lost in Elite 8.  Camden should be considered because they had a 37 game win streak, with about half of those wins vs ranked opponents.  Because they lost to arguably the best d3 team ever they don't get a look, gol2gol?

That 99 Messiah team also lost to a top 3 overall season that SLU had (if not best ever).  They beat a one loss Etown team, then reigning champ OWU before falling 1-0 to SLU.  Were a step away from a winner with an offsides goal.

Flying Weasel

Quote from: Gol2Gol on November 18, 2015, 10:41:22 AM2. 94' Bethany- had a bunch of Gambian national team players and a one year wonder team that made it look easy.

Made it look easy?  Bethany may have won the national title by the narrowest margin ever.

Bethany - 1994 NCAA Title Run
First Round: Bethany 1, Greensboro 1 (2 OT - PKs)
Second Round: Bethany 1, Va. Wesleyan 0 (2 OT)
Third Round: Bethany 2, UC San Diego 2 (4 OT - PKs)
Semifinals: Bethany 0, Wis.-Oshkosh 0 (2 OT - PKs)
Championship: Bethany 1, Johns Hopkins 0

5 GP  |  2-0-3 (.700)  |  5 GF : 3 GA

Four overtime games.

Three ties / three advancements via penalty kick shootout.

Only regulation win came in title game againt Johns Hopkins who won all four previous tournament games by a single goal (W3-2 Elizabethtown, W1-0 (4OT) Muhlenberg 0, W1-0 Tufts, W1-0 TCNJ).

Granted, it was a very challenging path to the title (opponents records entering game with Bethany: Greensboro (15-2-0), Va. Wesleyan (18-1-1), UC San Diego (13-6-1), UW-Oshkosh (18-0-2), John Hopkins (17-2-3)), but doesn't appear they made it look easy looking at the results (I'll admit I didn't see them play).

Gol2Gol

Quote from: lastguyoffthebench on November 18, 2015, 11:28:26 AM

Disagree... I'd have the 99 Messiah team that lost to SLU as an all time best team as well... And I think they lost in Elite 8.  Camden should be considered because they had a 37 game win streak, with about half of those wins vs ranked opponents.  Because they lost to arguably the best d3 team ever they don't get a look, gol2gol?

That 99 Messiah team also lost to a top 3 overall season that SLU had (if not best ever).  They beat a one loss Etown team, then reigning champ OWU before falling 1-0 to SLU.  Were a step away from a winner with an offsides goal.

You can't be "best" by definition if you didn't win it. Best:  excelling all others Excelling all others means winning it so that is the group to choose from. Camden's 37 game win streak is impressive but that would include Camden teams from 2 different seasons. No one team wins 37 games in a season. They can be in the conversation of " 2nd best teams that didn't excel all others". This site is the like the game 6 degrees of separation from RUC...lol.

Flying Weasel: correct those results didn't look easy and i may have overstated but they were good when i saw them play an early round game. They were good and those teams they played were all power houses back in the day (top 10).

Mr.Right

1993 UC San Diego played like a Top 10 D1 Team. They had sick athletes and I think even played and beat 4-5 D1 and D2 teams out west. That was an all-time team.

firstplaceloser

Not sure how you can say you can't consider a team good  who didn't win the whole thing. Camden lost to arguably the best D3 Messiah team to ever step on the field. that's like saying if Camden did win then that messiah team can't be considered an elite team.

Saint of Old

Cannot help but Chime in.

From what I have heard from D3 soccer's most successful coach (6 rings) the Bethany 1994 Championship team was very legit with a whole lot of technical ability all though the squad.
I thing they get less respect than perhaps deserved because the pipeline/tradition/excellence did not continue after that team.

I also have to say that the 1998 Williams team was very Legit with some technical Jamaicans and came at a time when Williams was enjoying Camelot.
1999 Messiah team  was also a very good team.

The 1997 Wheaton Championship team was historic as well.

Teams that never won the whole thing are still very impactful and should still be mentioned in my view (1982 Brazil).
The Richard Stockton Final 4 team of 1999 laid the groundwork for the 01  team's championship.
Ditto for Messiah's 1999 team.
The 1993 Williams team did the same for the Championship team in 1995.

It does take about a decade or so to really judge an alltime team in my view.
Trinity's 2003 squad is also worthy of much praise.

I think we will all look back in time and realize that Tuffts did something very special last season.

Shooter McGavin

Quote from: Saint of Old on November 18, 2015, 01:07:25 PM

From what I have heard from D3 soccer's most successful coach (6 rings) the Bethany 1994 Championship team was very legit with a whole lot of technical ability all though the squad.
I thing they get less respect than perhaps deserved because the pipeline/tradition/excellence did not continue after that team.

I also have to say that the 1998 Williams team was very Legit with some technical Jamaicans and came at a time when Williams was enjoying Camelot.

Teams that never won the whole thing are still very impactful and should still be mentioned in my view (1982 Brazil).
The Richard Stockton Final 4 team of 1999 laid the groundwork for the 01  team's championship.

I think we will all look back in time and realize that Tuffts did something very special last season.

The Elite 8 Messiah team that lost to Tufts last year is better than the Camden team that lost in the final in 2013.

firstplaceloser

Quote from: Shooter McGavin on November 18, 2015, 01:15:41 PM
Quote from: Saint of Old on November 18, 2015, 01:07:25 PM

The Elite 8 Messiah team that lost to Tufts last year is better than the Camden team that lost in the final in 2013.

messiah had the same exact squad in 2014 as they did In 2013 so that's not really saying much

firstplaceloser

and I have to disagree anyway. that 2013 Camden squad would've won everything in 2014. especially with messiah getting beat in the elite 8.

Jump4Joy

How far back we going here? Ancients in play?