FB: Middle Atlantic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:15:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

G-manWU

Hi folks, I hope everyone is staying well during this challenging time.

A few links I had been meaning to share in recent weeks:

- First, a very nice interview by the Discover NEPA blog with Wilkes HC Jon Drach and his wife, Janelle. It's a good look at some of the reasons why I think D3 head coaches stick in their jobs longer than you see at bigger schools, with the Drachs sharing thoughts on the quality of life in our region:

https://www.discovernepa.com/articles-and-stories/jon-and-janelle-drach-why-nepa/

- Also, a look at how spring practice at the Wilkes-Barre MAC schools changed with the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, with coverage and quotes from both programs:

https://www.timesleader.com/sports/780900/kings-wilkes-football-teams-dealing-with-canceled-spring-practices

All the best to our crew on this board; I hope to see some of you in the grandstands this fall, or in the spring, or whenever we can resume games safely.

jknezek

My parents are Wilkes alums. Class of '71 I believe. Dad is super excited about Coach Drach. Hopefully he will get to follow some progress this fall.

ITH radio

Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: ITH radio on June 28, 2020, 02:03:21 PM
Some MAC news:

https://www.timesleader.com/sports/789495/questions-loom-for-local-college-football-players

Thanks ITH. This board has become a morgue, especially with DelVal dominating most years. I've been hanging out on the busier boards. ;)

ITH radio

bill

I'm still awake ;D...but not much to say about all this. I heard about this one earlier, but it is the best they can do to preserve deposits. I think schools are trying to wait to the last possible moment because they don't want the athletes to bolt and sit out a year - or go elsewhere. Yes, it's a cynical approach, but after some of the other higher ed decisions I've seen in the past few months.....
"To build may have to be the slow and laborious task of years. To destroy can be the thoughtless act of a single day."

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: bill on July 10, 2020, 05:01:42 PM
I'm still awake ;D...but not much to say about all this. I heard about this one earlier, but it is the best they can do to preserve deposits. I think schools are trying to wait to the last possible moment because they don't want the athletes to bolt and sit out a year - or go elsewhere. Yes, it's a cynical approach, but after some of the other higher ed decisions I've seen in the past few months.....

Thanks bill................I knew that I could count on you!! :)

I'm, sending smoke signals out for kate, simba, bman and coloneljohn. This board used to be quite active. I think DelVal's recent domination has sent most into the "who cares" zone. I bet you though if Lycoming ever turns it around.........simba will reappear and say something about being out of the country without access to the internet for the last decade. ;)

jmcozenlaw

The MAC and the PSAC have a ton of Pennsylvania, geographical crossover...............and the PSAC just pulled the plug on all Fall sports AND anything else prior to January 1 (there also goes 2 1/2 months of basketball practices and some (8-12) games, wrestling practices and matches, etc.).

Not that one has any impact, per se, on the other, but I wonder if the MAC does have an actual chance at playing a full 8 game conference schedule?

Also, the geniuses in the capital of the same state as 16 of the 17 PSAC schools have decided, at THIS point, to allow high school fall sports to move forward.

Can you say clusterfudge? :(

ITH radio

FWIW the PIAA (the HS governing body) is planning on moving ahead with a fall season. Per OL89's comments on the LL board, this D2 school situation seems to have more with a teacher's union flex than a FB one.

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: ITH radio on July 16, 2020, 12:48:07 PM
FWIW the PIAA (the HS governing body) is planning on moving ahead with a fall season. Per OL89's comments on the LL board, this D2 school situation seems to have more with a teacher's union flex than a FB one.

I know that filthy governing body quite well. A growing group of us is preparing a lawsuit aimed at forcing a change is the legislation to split the public and private schools apart like they do in many other states, including neighboring New Jersey. The recruiting private schools, with a 100% open enrollment policy, are like traveling All-Star/AAU teams and play against geography locked public schools in district, regional and state playoff competition. Some of the state championship final scores in small school basketball have been the 80's to 90's.........vs. the 20's and 30's. Disgraceful.......and they know the lawsuit is coming!!

jmcozenlaw

.....................and there goes the MAC!!!!

Now I guess Simba stays in the Lycoming Witness Protection Program that much longer. ;)

PBR...

Quote from: jmcozenlaw on July 24, 2020, 10:02:01 AM
.....................and there goes the MAC!!!!

Now I guess Simba stays in the Lycoming Witness Protection Program that much longer. ;)

Yup....

https://gomacsports.com/news/2020/7/24/general-mac-suspends-ncaa-competition-for-fall-2020.aspx

kate

The MAC is right, of course, but this whole mess is heartbreaking.   Weren't we all looking forward to in person games or next best hunching over the computer to watch those Saturday football games???   Del Val and the MAC will survive and come back next season better than ever!   Go Aggies!

G-manWU

Hi folks, hope you are all in good health and doing well!

I was delighted to see this story running in both the Wilkes-Barre Citizens Voice and the Scranton Times-Tribune on Thanksgiving morning. It details how each of the four D3 football programs in NEPA (Wilkes, King's, Misericorida, and Keystone of the ECFC) have adapted to the unique recruiting environment brought on by the COVID-19 pandemic.

https://www.citizensvoice.com/sports/college/local-college-football-coaches-reinvent-recruiting-during-pandemic/article_54977168-9c16-5383-8694-d64693160aef.html