D3 Championship Belt

Started by Just Bill, January 24, 2007, 02:41:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iwumichigander

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on March 05, 2018, 10:22:48 AM

I'm following the Belt to Swarthmore - that means I'll have been present for every Belt game of this NCAA Tournament.  I might need some extra strength sunscreen to avoid the deleterious effects of it's shining visage.
Don't forget your sun glasses!   ;D

Ralph Turner

I'm following The BeltTM to Swarthmore - that means I'll have been present for every The BeltTM game of this NCAA Tournament.  I might need some extra strength sunscreen to avoid the deleterious effects of ItsTM shining visage.
Proofreading...   ;)

kiko

I'm following the Belt to Swarthmore - that means I'll have been present for every Belt game of this NCAA Tournament.  I might need some extra strength sunscreen to avoid the deleterious effects of it's shining visage.

This is even better than following the Dead on tour!

sac

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on March 04, 2018, 09:06:18 AM

Hamilton with the Belt!  A really tremendous defensive performance from the Continentals (I wonder if the mascot is a joke about prominent historical figures).

Yes.......this is Alex

lmitzel

Okay, I've been going back to work on the Stealth Era of The BeltTM on the map. I'm taking a break through the 1988 season. If anyone notices any errors (looking primarily at Ryan, Greg, or anyone else who did major digging into the history of The BeltTM) let me know and I can make changes. But in the meantime, all that's missing is just shy of 20 years' worth of history between where I left off and the beginning of when everyone started tracking.
Official D-III Championship BeltTM Cartographer
2022 CCIW Football Pick 'Em Co-Champion
#THREEEEEEEEE

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: sac on March 05, 2018, 12:09:07 PM
Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on March 04, 2018, 09:06:18 AM

Hamilton with the Belt!  A really tremendous defensive performance from the Continentals (I wonder if the mascot is a joke about prominent historical figures).

Yes.......this is Alex

No, I meant that Continental is a model of Lincoln.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Gregory Sager

Quote from: lmitzel on March 05, 2018, 12:41:42 PM
Okay, I've been going back to work on the Stealth Era of The BeltTM on the map. I'm taking a break through the 1988 season. If anyone notices any errors (looking primarily at Ryan, Greg, or anyone else who did major digging into the history of The BeltTM) let me know and I can make changes. But in the meantime, all that's missing is just shy of 20 years' worth of history between where I left off and the beginning of when everyone started tracking.

Again, great work, Lucas. But there's a couple of mistakes with the 1980-81 season. You have Milliikin and Illinois Wesleyan holding the Stealth BeltTM during that season, when neither school actually possessed ItTM. (Illinois Wesleyan couldn't have held ItTM at that point, anyway, since the Titans were still declaring for NAIA during that season.) This is the Stealth BeltTM's path for that season, as laid out by Ryan in his post #1964 on page 131:

1981 - Luther
          Augustana
          North Park
          Augustana
          Potsdam State
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

lmitzel

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 06, 2018, 02:29:49 PM
Quote from: lmitzel on March 05, 2018, 12:41:42 PM

Again, great work, Lucas. But there's a couple of mistakes with the 1980-81 season. You have Milliikin and Illinois Wesleyan holding the Stealth BeltTM during that season, when neither school actually possessed ItTM. (Illinois Wesleyan couldn't have held ItTM at that point, anyway, since the Titans were still declaring for NAIA during that season.) This is the Stealth BeltTM's path for that season, as laid out by Ryan in his post #1964 on page 131:

1981 - Luther
          Augustana
          North Park
          Augustana
          Potsdam State

Thanks Greg! I took the IWU and Millikin credits for '80-'81 out. I was probably looking at the wrong set of things, which I think happened at least one other time before I stopped myself and realized changes got made to the path to correct for membership issues or whatever the case was.

So with that, I'm through the 1999-2000 season. Based on my count to this point, we have 179 schools that have either taken possession of The BeltTM (in both the Stealth and modern eras) or have hosted a game with The BeltTM up for grabs, plus one non D-III school that hosted a match early in the modern era and five other venues where ItTM has been fought for.

At some point too I plan to go back through the modern era and plant additional markers on schools that satisfied all the different criteria. In most cases, when I encountered a BeltTM holder that took it from a visiting team I ignored their subsequent home games as BeltTM holders just to make it easier, and that's something I want to rectify. It will also significantly clean up the mess in entries for schools like Hope and Augie (I think those are two of the worst I've put together so far).
#THREEEEEEEEE

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I forgot to load it.  Here's the entire Belt Path through this passed weekend.

Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Gregory Sager

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

lmitzel

And barring any mistakes on my end... the map is complete.
#THREEEEEEEEE

Just Bill

Quote from: lmitzel on March 07, 2018, 04:57:09 PM
Is it ever really complete though. #DeepThoughts
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

Gregory Sager

I've never heard of Clarkson College in Omaha, but the Clarkson that held the Stealth BeltTM in 1981-82 was Clarkson University in Potsdam, NY. The Golden Knights of Clarkson U. ripped Thee Most Exalted Bespangled Stealth CinctureTM out of the greedy hands of SUNY Potsdam head coach Jerry Welsh and his Bears and carted ItTM across town to their own campus before losing it in turn to fellow North Country outpost St. Lawrence University.

lmitzel

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 07, 2018, 05:37:48 PM

I've never heard of Clarkson College in Omaha, but the Clarkson that held the Stealth BeltTM in 1981-82 was Clarkson University in Potsdam, NY. The Golden Knights of Clarkson U. ripped Thee Most Exalted Bespangled Stealth CinctureTM out of the greedy hands of SUNY Potsdam head coach Jerry Welsh and his Bears and carted ItTM across town to their own campus before losing it in turn to fellow North Country outpost St. Lawrence University.

So there is a Clarkson College in Nebraska, but double checking it looked like they didn't even have a basketball team... so yeah, I goofed. I've moved the marker to its proper place across the Raquette from SUNY Potsdam. Hopefully that's it, but I can fairly easily make changes as the need arises.

Quote from: Just Bill on March 07, 2018, 05:32:00 PM

Not a Monday, but close enough...
#THREEEEEEEEE

sac

Quote from: Just Bill on March 07, 2018, 05:32:00 PM
Is the BeltTm ever really won.