BB: SCIAC: Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, December 31, 2005, 09:33:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Parkman and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Gray Fox

D3 Preseason poll has Chapman at number 20.

CLU has 31 voting points and Redlands has 7 voting points.
Fierce When Roused

Purple Heys

Game Day.  Redlands has 10 games in the books, Whittier has 1.  Hard to say if either of these teams has anything fully figured out about themselves, but at least Redlands has had the chance to audition their players.

At 4-6 it is easy to see this team has not been able to pick up and continue last year's success.  A nice win over Concordia (TX) shows what they are capable of just as readily as the 21-11 loss to Texas-Dallas does.

Whittier is totally unknown.  The Willamette game was not enough of a sample size to get where this team is.

Both teams will find things out starting today.

Good luck to all SCIAC teams for 2019!   FTP.
You can't leave me....all the plants will die.

Purple Heys

Whittier scraps their way to a well-earned 7-3 win at the yard.

Poets play clean on defense, move runners and get timely hitting, taking advantage of 2 Bulldog errors along the way - especially a killer in the 9th.  Solid start on the mound from Baez - good not great, but really good when he needed to be; good enough relief in the 9th.  Pretty much follows their necessary formula for success.  It may be fortuitous WC got this Redlands team early.

This is not last year's UofR team by a long shot, but that is not a Whittier problem.  Bulldogs still have the look of a team figuring things out

Jack Parkman

Quote from: Purple Heys on February 22, 2019, 08:20:34 PM
Whittier scraps their way to a well-earned 7-3 win at the yard.

Poets play clean on defense, move runners and get timely hitting, taking advantage of 2 Bulldog errors along the way - especially a killer in the 9th.  Solid start on the mound from Baez - good not great, but really good when he needed to be; good enough relief in the 9th.  Pretty much follows their necessary formula for success.  It may be fortuitous WC got this Redlands team early.

This is not last year's UofR team by a long shot, but that is not a Whittier problem.  Bulldogs still have the look of a team figuring things out

Good win for the Poets, especially after being out for only the second time.  Baez looks to give them a good chance each Friday and it showed yesterday.  Redlands is going to hit, but he held them to 7 singles, which is something very few pitchers can do.  WC got some timely hits and took advantage of getting Fousek out of the game.  Redlands is in total rebuild mode and will struggle this year, but they have the ability to beat anyone at any time.

Pomona got tested a little by the Beavers but didn't fall victim again.  Unfortunately for Caltech, today might be a little lopsided.

Cal Lu used a few big homers to tie the game with CMS at 3, then had a few clutch hits in the 8th to go up 3.  Good pitching by both teams, with the exception of the 8th inning.

La Verne looks to be firing on al cylinders so far.  After going to Louisiana and taking 3 from Centenary, they came home and snapped off Chapman to start a pretty big series.  A split for La Verne today puts them a leg up down the road.

The SCIAC is very balanced and the days of the 20-4 games on Friday are over.  The typical "bottom feeders" have all improved and are more than capable of beating anyone.  The race for the top 4 will be very tight this year and every game counts.

Purple Heys

Cal Tech takes a game from P-P, but this feels different...they jumped on the Sagehens at the outset, and although it was close, the Beavers did not let go.  It was also not their #1 starter on the hill - that was Friday and that was a game P-P had to earn.

It's time to seriously consider that Cal Tech has a chance to take a SCIAC series this season.

Get ready for a fun season in the SCIAC.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Purple Heys on February 23, 2019, 09:38:26 PM
Cal Tech takes a game from P-P, but this feels different...they jumped on the Sagehens at the outset, and although it was close, the Beavers did not let go.  It was also not their #1 starter on the hill - that was Friday and that was a game P-P had to earn.

It's time to seriously consider that Cal Tech has a chance to take a SCIAC series this season.

Get ready for a fun season in the SCIAC.
The shot heard around the world the SCIAC.

Now P-P has to win "another" game!

The OAC board talks about the number of games that a team must win to make the 4-team playoffs. That is a 10-team conference playing 18 conference games. 14 wins gets the #1 seed by conventional wisdom. Sometimes 12 wins earns a playoff bid.

Cal Tech just threw that argument back onto the table for SCIAC fans to consider.

Jack Parkman

No sweeps this weekend and some really, really good pitching performances.

Tim Turpen from Whittier goes 7.1 and gives up 2 hits in the 2-0 win over Redlands
Andrew Rueter goes 8, giving up 5 hits and 2 runs coming off a 2-run bomb in the 2-0 loss to Whittier
Justin Hull from Claremont goes 8 while giving up only 3 hits, 0 walks, and 6 k's in the 4-1 win over Cal Lu
Mason Collins from Chapman goes 7 and scatters 8 hits with 0 earned runs in the 7-1 win over La Verne

I am sure there were others but these 3 really stood out. Clean weekend of baseball in the SCIAC with very close games and no blowouts.  Shaping up to be a very competitive year.

SoCal OG

Purple Heys

Quote from: SoCal OG on February 25, 2019, 10:45:21 AM
Looking fwd to seeing Oxy play some conference games!

Oxy has a veteran squad, lots of returning pitching and the bulk of their lineup returning.  I will be surprised if they are not in the top 4 mix at the end of this.

Jack Parkman

Interesting trip for Castleton. Squeaked out a win over Whitworth, dropped a close pair to Oxy, gets crushed by Pomona, drops one to Caltech....then beats Chapman. Just goes to show how unpredictable baseball can be.

Jim Dixon

Quote from: Jack Parkman on February 28, 2019, 04:48:54 PM
Interesting trip for Castleton. Squeaked out a win over Whitworth, dropped a close pair to Oxy, gets crushed by Pomona, drops one to Caltech....then beats Chapman. Just goes to show how unpredictable baseball can be.

I cannot figure it out either.

SoCalSoxFan

Nice to see CLU defeat Texas Lutheran today, improving to 5-1 against non-SCIAC Western Regional Teams.
Coach Slimak has done a good job of scheduling and winning West Regional games, which can only help during tournament selection time.

Taken from the teams website:
As a whole, Cal Lutheran out-hit Texas Lutheran nine to five, led by Wright's second consecutive 3-for-4 game. The infielder currently leads the team, hitting .464 (13-for-28) with a .514 on-base percentage.

The win over 2018's Division III World Series competitors moves the Kingsmen to 7-2 overall. The team now plays Drew (NJ) and Greensboro 2x.

Teddy_Ballgame

No sweeps yet in SCIAC play. Most teams have been doing pretty well in non-con, and it looks like it'll shape up to be a competitive conference race.

PP has been lead by its juniors so far this year:
SS Nolan McCafferty (.368/.415/.500),
CF Brian Knapp (.429/.500/.743),
DH Jeremy Jess (.412/.450/.676),
C Jack Hanley (.310/.459/.483), and
SP Tyler Yoshihara (2-0, 3.71 ERA).

Only one senior on the team, so this is a good year for development. But they're playing well enough that they can definitely make a run at a conference title. They've had five different pitchers start games (obviously important for tournament time), and have had a few pitchers struggle who I knew will be dangerous once they get some more innings under their belts.

Purple Heys

Lots of cancellations on the schedule with teams travelling across the country to get games in "Sunny" SoCal.

That's a tough break on both sides of the equation.  These are games that can't be made up.  I wonder if the SCIAC is going to allow fill-in games between SCIAC opponents that do not count against league standings so our teams can get a full 40 game schedule.  I wonder if the coaches see any value to that.

BigPoppa

Quote from: Purple Heys on March 06, 2019, 07:04:08 PM
Lots of cancellations on the schedule with teams travelling across the country to get games in "Sunny" SoCal.

That's a tough break on both sides of the equation.  These are games that can't be made up.  I wonder if the SCIAC is going to allow fill-in games between SCIAC opponents that do not count against league standings so our teams can get a full 40 game schedule.  I wonder if the coaches see any value to that.

The can also pick up games vs GSAC opponents as well as local D2 programs. Games are games and you want your kids to play as much as they can before the post-season.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.