FB: North Coast Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smedindy

He was there a while at Oberlin and certainly knows a culture of academics first.

I think Allegheny is a lot different from the Whittier situation for BJ. Whittier seems to treat its sports programs like hobbies - Allegheny I think wants to get their programs back in gear.

Some really good coaches start out in bad situations.

Li'l Giant

Quote from: wabco on January 27, 2016, 08:02:26 PM
Be interesting to see the "why" this hire?  Obviously not a red hot "up and comer".  From his bio, more like a long timer D III.  And not coming with fingers in/credentials in recruiting our prime recruiting grounds. 

I was curious why Hammer would leave - for Gheny - leaving a full kitchen of talent in D.  Gheny is going the wrong way and has been in most of its sports for the last years.  I would have thought Hammer had at least another year of "crush em" type D and then try to use that to his ultimate advantage.  Oh well ... time will tell whether Hammer made a good choice in placing his chips on Gheny or not.

I hope he is given time because he's not trying to wake up the Gheny program, he's opening the tomb and saying "Lazarus, come out". It's gonna take 5 years to know if this was a good move for him.

Maybe new guy has the long experience which says ... "been there"  "done that"  and am happy to work to be a good to outstanding D coordinator. Maybe ER knows things I don't. (certainly very easy to do).  I believe in him, so I hope so.  I would not mind a discussion on the topic.  I am probably wrong in my worst fears, and the best minds who think otherwise are correct.  Hope that is the case.  WAF

First off, I love this hire. I've been high on Ramsey for a long time based on what he did at Oberlin. And I'm not alone in my admiration. Last offseason when we thought we might lose ER to the Whitewater gig Ramsey's name came up a couple of times in offline conversations as a potential head coach.

I've been high on him for a long time. He made chicken salad at Oberlin. He had to recruit with high academic standards and was able to get the occasional standout to Oberlin, a place with no recent winning tradition. What can he do at Wabash? Probably a lot.
"I believe in God and I believe I'm gonna go to Heaven, but if something goes wrong and I end up in Hell, I know it's gonna be me and a bunch of D3 officials."---Erik Raeburn

Quote from: sigma one on October 11, 2015, 10:46:46 AMI don't drink with the enemy, and I don't drink lattes at all, with anyone.

DPU3619

Be interesting to see the "why" this hire?  Obviously not a red hot "up and comer".  From his bio, more like a long timer D III.  And not coming with fingers in/credentials in recruiting our prime recruiting grounds. 

I think the why is because he's a helluva coach. Puget Sound's D was really good. As others have said, he did a good job at Oberlin. If you were the head coach at Oberlin, you can recruit Ohio, and that's a pretty important part of recruiting in the Midwest.

Here's the thing about the hot shot kids: they leave. They always leave. It's always greener somewhere else. They still want to be in the BCS. The money still matters because they're still broke from being a GA forever. You're not going to a sexy hire and have him stay for 5-7 years. And I don't think that's what Wabash wants or needs. It's a big deal for your program that your assistants are getting looks. That said. you need somebody that sees Wabash as a destination and not a stepping stone. I think y'all have got him.

wabco

Thanks guys.  Your thoughts are what I wanted to cause to be generated. Together they pretty well covered the waterfront of items a person may have a question regarding.  Bottom line ...  for one trust ER and his judgement. I think he is a "long hauler" and a fantastic one for Wabash.  He has proven that.  His family has proven that.  His teams have proven that.  It Jeff adds to the long term quality and success (and per your comments  ... in addition to the fact he is ER's choice) I believe he will be a great add.  Special thanks to Sigma One.  Good insights from the "close by".

Now ... Jeff ... for you ... you also have been dealt a nice hand of Wabash experienced talent in place to start with.  Make it better, stronger, faster, more successful.   WAF

wally_wabash

Quote from: Old Pal Wes on January 28, 2016, 08:48:19 AM
It's a big deal for your program that your assistants are getting looks.

When I get some more time I'll have more Jeff Ramsey thoughts, but I wanted to highlight this.  This is really spot on.  While I can appreciate the offseason will he/won't he anxiety that can cause us to lose a little sleep, if Wabash wasn't doing a lot of things right, the assistants wouldn't be attractive elsewhere.  Other schools want Wabash DNA in their football program?  Can't get a better validation than that, IMO. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

wildcat11

Quote from: Old Pal Wes on January 28, 2016, 08:48:19 AM
Puget Sound's D was really good.

No, Puget Sound was not a really good defense...at all. 

However, it's not like UPS was a juggernaut before he took the DC job there in 2014.  The previous 4 seasons before he was DC the UPS defensive gave up 492, 443, 557, and 482 yards per game.  Under Ramsey those numbers dropped to 381 in 2014 and 393 yards per game this season (the Loggers first winning season in 10 years).  Those are nothing to crow about but are for sure big improvements and should be credited to Ramsey.

UPS has run a 34 front the last two seasons so I don't know if that means Wabash will be moving away from their 4 man front next year.  My just my .02 from the West Coast.

DPU3619

If you're 3rd in that conference in defense, you're a pretty good defense. Wabash's release said top 3 in the conference.

393 yards a game is fine in that conference. That's a good offensive conference. You won't hold somebody to 250 per unless you're Linfield. And Linfield doesn't have to play their own offense, either.

wildcat11

Quote from: Old Pal Wes on January 28, 2016, 06:24:59 PM
If you're 3rd in that conference in defense, you're a pretty good defense. Wabash's release said top 3 in the conference.

Just looked at the release:  Ramsey helped the Puget Sound team become one of the top-three defenses in the Northwest Conference while earning

UPS finished 5th in the NWC in PPG allowed and 5th in the conference in yards allowed per game.  Not sure how that equates to a top-three defense but he seems like a good coach regardless.

wabco

I was just scanning D III News and finally read the piece on Alex Tanney and the Titans.  Question:  Wasn't he a transfer to Monmouth from Wabash ... where he played behind a QB at Wabash?  Not meant in any way other than question ... plus if so ... who was the super QB who beat him out at Wabas h(and then probably went on to medical school)? Memory issues here.

sigma one

Let's see if my memory is accurate.  Matt Tanney was the first Tanney at Wabash.  He graduated, went on to law school, served at several colleges in athletic department positions, and is now the Director of Athletics at Western Illinois University.  MItch Tanney then came to Wabash.  He transferred to Monmouth, where he had a good run at QB, becoming all-conference.  Last I heard, Mitch was working as director of football analytics for the Denver Broncos.  I think he was a mathematics major in college.  Someone may be able to narrow this next part down:  I believe it was Russ Harbaugh who was ahead of Mitch on the Wabash depth chart. Maybe Dustin Huff as well, but not sure about that.  Alex Tanney--the third brother--was a four-year starter, and record-breaking QB, at Monmouth.  He was never a Wabash student.   
     The Tanneys are from Illinois.  Their father was (is?) a successful high-school football coach.

Pat Coleman

And Mitch Tanney was a standout Division III quarterback in his own right, but not nearly as good as Alex Tanney, who was in another universe.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

wabco

Thanks.  I mixed my Tannies.  Sounds like a football family.

wally_wabash

Mitch got a little bit of run in the 2003 Bell game (most notable for Chris Morris breaking DJ's career rush record, Blair Hammer tying BJ's all time sack record, Lafitte being the first freshman to go over 1,000 rush yards in a season, and Mourouzis's final game).  Amazing to think that Mitch went on to be a Gagliardi finalist in 2005 along with Harbaugh.  The QB talent CC was pulling in at the time was incredible. 

That 2005 Gagliardi trophy was won by Brett Elliott, who was a pretty good D3 quarterback.  UWW's Justin Beaver was also a finalist that year.  That field was ridiculous. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

sigma one

wally_wabash

I'm really pumped about Jeff Ramsey.  While he was at Oberlin, I think he was pretty consistently one of the top 2-3 coaches in the league.  Seriously.  There aren't a lot of coaches in D3 that can take the thin rosters he had at Oberlin and win much at all, let alone win games against ranked teams (Wooster in 2003, Wabash in 2012).  He got Oberlin out of the 0-40 hole and turned them into a team that was generally always pesky at their worst, downright dangerous at their best.  That happens with scheme and game planning and Ramsey has always been great in those areas.   I think he's a tremendous addition to the staff- his experience and excellence in the areas I noted can only help. 

We've always wondered to ourselves, or at times out loud, what Ramsey might do with a full roster.  Now we get to find out and that's really exciting.  I think Coach Raeburn made an excellent choice here and I can't wait to see how this plays out this fall.  Albion will be a challenge for Ramsey right off the bat.  Very difficult offense to get prepared for in week 1.