East Region Playoff Discussion

Started by pg04, November 10, 2006, 11:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rams1102

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on October 31, 2010, 06:21:44 PM
Quote from: JT on October 31, 2010, 05:42:34 PM
Watching Pats vs. Vikes and thinking, I could get away with a haircut like that if I was nailing Gisele Bundchen.

And until you've been on the cover of SI a dozen times, and make $20 million a year, what do you suppose your odds are?! ;D

I assume Mrs. JT must never read these boards! :o

He's got you JT.  ;D
It ain't over till it's over, and when you get to the fork in the road, take it.

JT

Watching Pats vs. Vikes and thinking, I could get away with a haircut like that if I was nailing Gisele Bundchen.

And until you've been on the cover of SI a dozen times, and make $20 million a year, what do you suppose your odds are?! ;D

I never even made faces in the crowd.

She doesn't read these boards but she lets me be me.  I can talk and I can look (she does too), and dream of she, me, and the hot maid, au pair or nanny.

I always say... dare to dream, she might say yes one day.

JT

Quote from: rams1102 on October 31, 2010, 06:25:18 PM

He's got you JT.  ;D

She was the first woman invited to my crib that didn't tell me to get rid of the Playboy and Penthouse subs.  I knew she was a keeper.

Before her there were at least a few... now you are dating me... you don't need these.  One such "relationship" was two weeks old.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: JT on October 31, 2010, 06:34:51 PM

He's got you JT.  ;D

She was the first woman invited to my crib that didn't tell me to get rid of the Playboy and Penthouse subs.  I knew she was a keeper.

Before her there were at least a few... now you are dating me... you don't need these.  One such "relationship" was two weeks old.

Only in your dreams, big guy! :o ;D

rams1102

rams1102
All-Region

Re: New Jersey Athletic Conference
« Reply #7086 on: Today at 08:31:23 pm »    

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've just looked at the Week #9 D-3 Football Poll. I'm totaly confused :

As of last week I had Alfred and Ursinus out and Cortland in. I can't believe that Montclair went from #14 to #27 after a game we lost by 1 point, and Fisher wins and is out of the top 25. IMHO Montclair and Fisher get screwed as a pool "C". I have no love for Rowan, but #23 ahead of Montclair & Fisher. The rankings really mean whatever they are, but this sends a sign of the Pool "C" picks. I think Montclair will be a candicate for an ECAC no matter how everything plays out.

Report to moderator    67.81.238.244  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It ain't over till it's over, and when you get to the fork in the road, take it.

HScoach

Quote from: pg04 on October 31, 2010, 01:28:28 PM
I don't mean this to be taken as insulting or anything, I want a serious answer, but give me reasons to be excited about the East's Chances this year. 

You guys will probably think I'm crazy, but if I was an east region team I would want Mount shifted to the east this season.  The best way to get the respect each of you desire is to beat Mount.  And the earlier you do it in the playoffs the better.  The last time Mount has failed to make the semi-finals was 1994 when they lost in round 2 to Albion.  If an east team could knock Mount out of the regional bracket, the entire east region would be validated regardless of what that team does the next week.

Now why I said the above is because 2010 might be your best chance at beating Mount since the 2003 and probably for the next couple years as they're very young and inconsistent. 

Arguably the best offensive player in D3 (WR - Cecil Shorts) is injured with no timetable on his return.  They start sophomores at QB, TB and at #1 WR and have only 2 starters back on the O-line from '09.  With Shorts out, the returning starters on offense are the LG, RG, TE and FB.

Defensively they're even younger with only a CB, LB and FS returning from '09.  Biggest concern defensively is the D-line where they start one senior, two sophomores and one freshman.    The D-line rotation includes two more sophomores and a freshman coming off the bench.   

And in case you haven't noticed, Mount hasn't been very "Mount-like" this season.  They struggled offensively with 2-6 Marietta (28-14 win) and 4-4 Otterbein (28-10 win), by contrast Mount beat those two teams 56-0 and 58-7 last year.  And Otterbein was much better in '09 as they finished 8-2 overall.  They're still winning, but it isn't the same explosive juggernaut that we're used to seeing.  I could see a really good defense (like Wesley or UWW from last year) holding this Mount offense to 14-17 points.

Call me crazy, but I think the later in the playoffs you face Mount, the less your chances are going to be.  Their youth should become more consistent as the rounds go by.

If the NCAA is going to ship in a #1 seed, I think you guys would be better off facing this Mount team than Wesley.  I know the Mount Union name carries a lot of weight, but I don't think the 2010 Raiders are any different than North Central, St. Thomas, Wheaton, MHB, Wesley, etc.  They're a very good team that could make some serious noise in the playoffs if they play well, but they're not a huge favorite to make it to Virginia like they've been the last few years. 

Now, I'm not saying Mount sucks and can't make it back to Virginia, but outside of the first round I doubt there is anyone they'll face in the playoffs that won't be a threat to beat them.   In previous years, there has usually been only 1 playoff game before the Stagg that makes them sweat, but this year is likely going to resemble 1998 where every game was a close battle that could have went either way.
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

JT

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on October 31, 2010, 07:05:40 PM
Quote from: JT on October 31, 2010, 06:34:51 PM

He's got you JT.  ;D

Only in your dreams, big guy! :o ;D

You are following my thought process above, in that I passed on the over controlling women before MJT.  Right?

JT

Quote from: HScoach on November 01, 2010, 09:15:45 AM
Quote from: pg04 on October 31, 2010, 01:28:28 PM
I don't mean this to be taken as insulting or anything, I want a serious answer, but give me reasons to be excited about the East's Chances this year. 

You guys will probably think I'm crazy, but if I was an east region team I would want Mount shifted to the east this season.  The best way to get the respect each of you desire is to beat Mount.  And the earlier you do it in the playoffs the better.  The last time Mount has failed to make the semi-finals was 1994 when they lost in round 2 to Albion.  If an east team could knock Mount out of the regional bracket, the entire east region would be validated regardless of what that team does the next week.

Now why I said the above is because 2010 might be your best chance at beating Mount since the 2003 and probably for the next couple years as they're very young and inconsistent. 

Arguably the best offensive player in D3 (WR - Cecil Shorts) is injured with no timetable on his return.  They start sophomores at QB, TB and at #1 WR and have only 2 starters back on the O-line from '09.  With Shorts out, the returning starters on offense are the LG, RG, TE and FB.

Defensively they're even younger with only a CB, LB and FS returning from '09.  Biggest concern defensively is the D-line where they start one senior, two sophomores and one freshman.    The D-line rotation includes two more sophomores and a freshman coming off the bench.   

And in case you haven't noticed, Mount hasn't been very "Mount-like" this season.  They struggled offensively with 2-6 Marietta (28-14 win) and 4-4 Otterbein (28-10 win), by contrast Mount beat those two teams 56-0 and 58-7 last year.  And Otterbein was much better in '09 as they finished 8-2 overall.  They're still winning, but it isn't the same explosive juggernaut that we're used to seeing.  I could see a really good defense (like Wesley or UWW from last year) holding this Mount offense to 14-17 points.

Call me crazy, but I think the later in the playoffs you face Mount, the less your chances are going to be.  Their youth should become more consistent as the rounds go by.

If the NCAA is going to ship in a #1 seed, I think you guys would be better off facing this Mount team than Wesley.  I know the Mount Union name carries a lot of weight, but I don't think the 2010 Raiders are any different than North Central, St. Thomas, Wheaton, MHB, Wesley, etc.  They're a very good team that could make some serious noise in the playoffs if they play well, but they're not a huge favorite to make it to Virginia like they've been the last few years. 

Now, I'm not saying Mount sucks and can't make it back to Virginia, but outside of the first round I doubt there is anyone they'll face in the playoffs that won't be a threat to beat them.   In previous years, there has usually been only 1 playoff game before the Stagg that makes them sweat, but this year is likely going to resemble 1998 where every game was a close battle that could have went either way.

Is the OAC down overall this year?

HScoach

JT:

I believe the OAC is down offensively, but the defenses are about the same as last year. 

The best QB Mount has probably played is the kid from Oshkosh, but it's hard to get a good read on that game since it was Oshkosh's 2nd game but Mount's opener and Mount had 8 new starters on defense making a long road trip.  Mount is breaking in a new QB who has had some growing pains, but he's still the 2nd best QB in the OAC I've seen behind Andrew Miller of Heidelberg.  Yes, Heidelberg.  Ohio Northern is a solid team, a lot like Montclair State last year, but lacks a true game changer on offense to really scare you.   Capital is on their way down to the cellar, but ONU is way up to replace them as the 2nd place team.   Otterbein has some talent, but is sorely lacking a QB.  John Carroll, Muskingum, Marietta, etc all are below average.  We play Baldwin Wallace this weekend who's supposed to have a pretty good transfer QB, but they needed 2 special teams returns for TD to beat Otterbein and ONU shut them down so I'm rather skeptical on BW's hope.   
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

labart96

good stuff coach k+

my projection saturday was:

1. MUC vs. 8. LL champ (questionable given it's just under the 500 mile NCAA limit)
3. NJAC champ vs. 6. NEFC champ (see below)
2. DVC vs. 7 Pool C (NJAC runner up)
4. E8 Champ vs. 5. SUNY M (could see this flip flopped if Alfred beats IC and is 8-2 as the Pool A)

Now I think the bracket could get very tricky if/when Maine Maritime wins the NEFC.  Castine is WAY up there and will cause travel issues for the Committee.

Castine to Glassboro is over 500 miles.  I think the closest drive would ironically be SLU (~425 miles).

Jonny Utah

Quote from: TGP on November 01, 2010, 12:40:50 PM
good stuff coach k+

my projection saturday was:

1. MUC vs. 8. LL champ (questionable given it's just under the 500 mile NCAA limit)
3. NJAC champ vs. 6. NEFC champ (see below)
2. DVC vs. 7 Pool C (NJAC runner up)
4. E8 Champ vs. 5. SUNY M (could see this flip flopped if Alfred beats IC and is 8-2 as the Pool A)

Now I think the bracket could get very tricky if/when Maine Maritime wins the NEFC.  Castine is WAY up there and will cause travel issues for the Committee.

Castine to Glassboro is over 500 miles.  I think the closest drive would ironically be SLU (~425 miles).

TGP if Cortland wins the NJAC and Ithaca smokes Cortland bad, do you think Ithaca gets the pool C bid with 2 loses?  Or do the national pool C teams have too much right now?

Pat Coleman

I think there are way, way too many 1-loss teams for Ithaca to get a sniff. A lot needs to happen before we start talking 2-loss teams seriously for Pool C.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Jonny Utah

Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 01, 2010, 06:29:53 PM
I think there are way, way too many 1-loss teams for Ithaca to get a sniff. A lot needs to happen before we start talking 2-loss teams seriously for Pool C.

Yea thats what I thought.  How about if SUNY Maritime loses next week.  Do they make it?  Just looked at Rowan's schedule this year.  A lot of wins, but all of them seem to be close while Cortland has blown out most of those same teams. They also beat Cortland and Lycoming where IC lost to Lycoming. 

DanPadavona

I can't see SUNY Maritime getting in unless they win out, and even then I don't think it is 100%.  The quality of competition borders on horrendous, and I don't think the NCAA uses the flawed strength of schedule formula as much as they have in the past.  I think the committee is knowledgeable enough to know Norwich was a cellar dweller in the E-8, and is suddenly a contender for the championship in the ECFC.

The ECFC won't get respect until they beat some quality OOC teams.  The same way that nobody worried about Curry until they beat Hartwick and Ithaca in the playoffs.
Justin Bieber created 666 false D3 identities to give me negative karma.

Jonny Utah

Quote from: DanPadavona on November 01, 2010, 06:51:10 PM
I can't see SUNY Maritime getting in unless they win out, and even then I don't think it is 100%.  The quality of competition borders on horrendous, and I don't think the NCAA uses the flawed strength of schedule formula as much as they have in the past.  I think the committee is knowledgeable enough to know Norwich was a cellar dweller in the E-8, and is suddenly a contender for the championship in the ECFC.

The ECFC won't get respect until they beat some quality OOC teams.  The same way that nobody worried about Curry until they beat Hartwick and Ithaca in the playoffs.

I guess what I really want to know is if there has to be 3 pool B teams in the playoffs.