Empire 8

Started by boobyhasgameyo, March 12, 2005, 12:24:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dcahill44

5 teams fighting for 4 spots!
Fisher is playing there best Basketball of the season right now. They played exceptional defense friday night against a very good offensive team Nazareth. I wouldn't  want to play them right now in the conference tourney. Fisher did what they had to do this weekend. Interested to see how everything plays out. If Hartwick wins Tuesday they will have the Tiebreaker over Stevens but Stevens will have the tiebreaker over Naz. Interesting. Wonder what the league will look like if Hartwick and Naz win tuesday.
This maybe the closest the E8 race has ever been... So many Possible scenarios with seedings.

magicman

Quote from: dcahill44 on February 16, 2014, 10:37:52 AM
Fisher is playing there best Basketball of the season right now. They played exceptional defense friday night against a very good offensive team Nazareth. I would want to play them right now in the conference tourney. Fisher did what they had to do this weekend. Interested to see how everything plays out. If Hartwick wins Tuesday they will have the Tiebreaker over Stevens but Stevens will have the tiebreaker over Naz. Interesting. Wonder what the league will look like if Hartwick and Naz win tuesday.
This maybe the closest the E8 race has ever been... So many Possible scenarios with seedings.

So Derrick,
I'm not sure what you mean here. You're talking about how good Fisher is playing right now, their best basketball of the season... yet you would want to play them in the conference tournament? Or did you mean you wouldn't want to play them right now? ???

NYHOOPS8

Quote from: dcahill44 on February 16, 2014, 10:37:52 AM
Fisher is playing there best Basketball of the season right now. They played exceptional defense friday night against a very good offensive team Nazareth. I would want to play them right now in the conference tourney. Fisher did what they had to do this weekend. Interested to see how everything plays out. If Hartwick wins Tuesday they will have the Tiebreaker over Stevens but Stevens will have the tiebreaker over Naz. Interesting. Wonder what the league will look like if Hartwick and Naz win tuesday.

It's going to be a fun but gut wrenching week in the E8. Tuesday will see the top 4 teams play each other for seeding purposes. Fisher will be on the outside looking in waiting for someone to let them in the back door.

dcahill44

I meant wouldnt Magicman my apologies.

AUPepBand

Pep is trying to figure out how the Saxons can make the Empire 8 Tournament...worst case scenario is AU drops games at Nazareth and collapses against Ithaca and finishes 8-6 in the league for fifth place. Despite the Saxons being picked to finish last in the E8 this year, at this stage in the game, that would be disappointing.

Here is the tiebreaker procedures as copied and pasted from the E8 website:

The conference champion shall be decided by a four-team conference tournament hosted by the highest seed.

Teams shall be seeded No.1 through No.4 for the tournament based on the final Empire 8 record.
In case of a tie for any finish in the regular season standings, the following tie-breaking procedure shall be followed in order to seed teams:

a. Head-to-head record
    b. Best record vs. subsequent finishers in descending order beginning with the 1st place team
    c. Road record vs. conference opponents
    d. NCAA strength of schedule index within region

Assuming that those in contention (Stevens, Hartwick, Nazareth, Alfred) handle those that are not (Elmira, Utica and Ithaca)....which in the E8 is not always a safe bet, but, let's say the Saxons falter at Naz but beat Ithaca and finish 9-5.

Should Stevens beat Hartwick and Elmira, the Ducks finish 11-3 and host the tourney as #1 seed.
Nazareth would be #2 seed at 10-4, leaving Hartwick (9-5), AU (9-5) and Fisher (9-5) all tied for third.
Of the three at 9-5, in head-to-head play, Hartwick went 3-1, AU 2-2, Fisher 1-3, so Hartwick would be the #3 seed.
Of the two remaining at 9-5, AU and Fisher split head-to-head. AU and Fisher went 1-1 against Stevens, both went 1-1 with Naz, AU was 1-1 with Hartwick while Fisher was 0-2, so AU would get the #4 seed.

Should Hartwick beat Stevens and finish 10-4, Stevens finishes 10-4 and Nazareth finishes 10-4 with Alfred 9-5 and Fisher at 9-5:
Stevens would earn the #1 seed based on its 3-1 record against Naz and Hartwick.
Nazareth would be #2 seed based on its 2-0 sweep of Hartwick.
Hartwick would be the #3 seed.
AU and Fisher split in head-to-head. Both split with Stevens. Both split with Nazareth. AU split with Hartwick, while Fisher went 0-2. AU would be the #4 seed.

Okay, that's Pep's take, from a fairly conservative position of the Saxons splitting their last two games. Obviously, the Saxons take care of business at Nazareth (a tall order) and Ithaca, they finish 10-4 and are in. Now, please discuss....and offer corrections to Pep's interpretation of the tiebreaker...

On Saxon Warriors!
On Saxon Warriors! On to Victory!
...Fight, fight for Alfred, A-L-F, R-E-D!

AUPepBand

Pep just can't keep up with all the discussion here about the Empire 8 Conference seedings.  ???

dcahill44

Stevens 2-2 against Naz and Hartwick... Hartwick is the #1 seed right now because they beat Fisher twice and Naz and Stevens split with fisher... Top 3 all went 1-1 against alfred.. Therefore The next team tiebreaker would be against Fisher

magicman

The Regional Rankings for Week 2 have been released and there were a few changes in the East Region.

Here's the new rankings: Same 6 teams as last week but every position has changed except #1.

East - NCAA data sheet
1 Brockport State 19-2 20-2
2 Plattsburgh State 18-4 18-4
3 Geneseo State 17-4 18-4
4 Hobart 18-6 18-6
5 Stevens 14-7 16-7
6 New York University 15-7 15-7

Here's last week's rankings.

East - NCAA data sheet
1 Brockport State 16-2 17-2
2 Geneseo State 15-3 16-3
3 Plattsburgh State 16-4 16-4
4 NYU 15-5 15-5
5 Hobart 17-5 17-5
6 Stevens 14-7 15-7

Here's the link to all of the regions:

http://www.d3blogs.com/d3hoops/category/ncaa-stuff/regional-rankings/

AUPepBand

Quote from: dcahill44 on February 19, 2014, 11:37:05 AM
Stevens 2-2 against Naz and Hartwick... Hartwick is the #1 seed right now because they beat Fisher twice and Naz and Stevens split with fisher... Top 3 all went 1-1 against alfred.. Therefore The next team tiebreaker would be against Fisher

If Naz, Stevens and Hartwick all take care of business, they'd all finish 10-4 in conference play and they all finished 2-2 against each other. You are correct, all 3 went 1-1 against AU....and Hartwick swept Fisher so you're right, Hawks would be #1 seed.

Is there a conference in the land with more parity this year than the Empire 8?

On Saxon Warriors!

NYHOOPS8

It's been said all year that the E8 was up for grabs and heading into the final week, that saying can't be any more true. Three teams tied for first; two teams tied for the last spot and only being 1 game out of the lead. Elmira holds the key to the E8 tournament with games upcoming vs Hartwick and Stevens. Mostly every scenario seems to have those two as the eventual host of the tournament except for both of them losing to Elmira and Nazareth winning at Utica. The way the season has unfolded thus far,  I wouldn't be surprised to see them host. It also would be surprising and unfortunate to see a team like Alfred have such a great start to their season just to end it a bad note and slip out of the top 4.

AUPepBand

Quote from: NYHOOPS8 on February 19, 2014, 06:32:03 PM
It's been said all year that the E8 was up for grabs and heading into the final week, that saying can't be any more true. Three teams tied for first; two teams tied for the last spot and only being 1 game out of the lead. Elmira holds the key to the E8 tournament with games upcoming vs Hartwick and Stevens. Mostly every scenario seems to have those two as the eventual host of the tournament except for both of them losing to Elmira and Nazareth winning at Utica. The way the season has unfolded thus far,  I wouldn't be surprised to see them host. It also would be surprising and unfortunate to see a team like Alfred have such a great start to their season just to end it a bad note and slip out of the top 4.

Should Alfred win against Ithaca Saturday, Pep believes the Saxons have the tiebreaker over St. John Fisher, based on their records against the top three. AU split with Fisher. AU split with Stevens, Hartwick and Naz, a 3-3 record against the first place teams. Fisher split with Stevens and Naz but lost twice to Hartwick, giving them a 2-4 record against the first place teams. Is that how you see it?

So for the Saxons, win and you're in. Fisher players are suddenly bigtime Bomber fans!

On Saxon Warriors!

NYHOOPS8

Alfred's sweep of Hartwick should get them the nod in a tiebreaker with Fisher.

AUPepBand

Quote from: NYHOOPS8 on February 19, 2014, 09:58:02 PM

Alfred split with Hartwick. Fisher was swept.

NYHOOPS8

Quote from: AUPepBand on February 20, 2014, 09:17:56 AM

I knew that and botched my entire statement. I meant that Aflred's win over Hartwick should get them the nod in a tiebreaker with Fisher.

AUPepBand

Quote from: NYHOOPS8 on February 20, 2014, 09:45:50 AM
Quote from: AUPepBand on February 20, 2014, 09:17:56 AM

I knew that and botched my entire statement. I meant that Aflred's win over Hartwick should get them the nod in a tiebreaker with Fisher.

Pep knew that's what you meant...just pleased the Saxons are part of the parity this year!

On Saxon Warriors!