FB: Southern Athletic Association

Started by Ron Boerger, October 25, 2011, 02:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

umhb2001

Looking forward to this game. I watched the whole game from Saturday and it seems that Huntingdon has a strong running back and a tough defensive line. UMHB has struggled to run against disciplined defensive lines this year. I think they give in a little too soon. From watching the game, it looks as if the secondary do the hawks is susceptible and that may be where we attack. Any thoughts from the SAA fans who have seen Huntingdon play more than I have?
Watch out for the wreckingCRU defense!!

Ron Boerger

Quote from: umhb2001 on November 26, 2019, 12:32:24 AM
Looking forward to this game. I watched the whole game from Saturday and it seems that Huntingdon has a strong running back and a tough defensive line. UMHB has struggled to run against disciplined defensive lines this year. I think they give in a little too soon. From watching the game, it looks as if the secondary do the hawks is susceptible and that may be where we attack. Any thoughts from the SAA fans who have seen Huntingdon play more than I have?

The only SAA team to play Huntingdon besides Berry in the last three years is B-SC (who played them each of those years), but I can't remember the last time we had a B-SC poster here.

BerryCollegeFan

Quote from: umhb2001 on November 26, 2019, 12:32:24 AM
I would say that they definitely will want to establish the run first.  It was a rainy start, similar to the forecast for this Saturday.  They had two running backs that got most of the carries, both were effective at times.  I was impressed by their lines, I don't think they will have the depth as UMHB but they have a few starters that should hold their own. 

Ron Boerger

B-SC's RB Robert Shufford and Millsaps DL Liam Vincifora are the SAA representatives on this year's AFCA All-America team.   Well-deserved, and congratulations!

BerryCollegeFan

Quote from: Ron Boerger on December 04, 2019, 12:03:23 PM
B-SC's RB Robert Shufford and Millsaps DL Liam Vincifora are the SAA representatives on this year's AFCA All-America team.   Well-deserved, and congratulations!

Yes, congratulations to both!

BerryCollegeFan

Looks like the SAA had a decent representation on the All- South region team.
6 players on 1st team, 2 on second team and 3 on third. and not all were seniors.

well done.

Wild Horse Rider

Berry,

Back sometime in early November you made the point about the regional rankings being dominated by the state of Texas well the all-region selections are also Texas heavy.  20 out of the 77 selections claim Texas as their home state and only 2 of those left Texas to play in college.  This was followed up by 12 players from Virginia and 10 from Pennsylvania.  It was pretty spread out from a conference standpoint with the ASC with 15 players (9 from UMBH help) down to 10 from the USAC.  The ODAC had representatives from all 9 teams.

Ron Boerger

B-SC's RB Robert Shufford was today named a finalist for the Gagliardi Trophy - congrats!

Ron Boerger

Millsaps is in the market for a new head coach after Aaron Pelch today announced he would step on to take on the role of full-time AD at the school.   https://www.wjtv.com/news/pelch-named-director-of-athletics-at-millsaps-college/ (reposted with correct link)

BerryCollegeFan

Good comments about Kinsey from the Shrine Bowl.

#5) Mason Kinsey (WR – Berry) 5'10″/191
The Hunter Renfrow-like prospect dominated DIII opponents. He posted 65 catches, 1,221 yards, 16 touchdowns in his final season at Berry College (11 games). In his final three seasons of college play, he posted consecutive seasons with 16 or more touchdowns.

It's not just looking at him and jumping to a Renfrow or Julian Edelman easy reference, but he runs terrific routes. He shows signs of a polished pro at the DIII level. You can tell he's either worked in his game or is just that natural to have compiled such receiver numbers without Olympic speed or freakish size.

Hunter Renfrow's skillset was undervalued in the draft, and he was well known. Kinsey will fight an uphill battle to get drafted coming from the DIII ranks with a lot of questions. He has the hands and work ethic of a rostered NFL wide receiver. The Combine/Pro Days will show us if he has the athleticism enough. It looks like he might.

When they run the one-on-one drills for the WRs v. DBs during practice week, Kinsey won/got open with moves much more than not. He's tough for the superior sized/athletic cover guys to keep up with because he's so sharp in his routes.

https://www.fantasypros.com/2020/01/2020-east-west-shrine-bowl-practice-notes-and-top-5-fantasy-prospects-preview/

Hawks88

Good stuff. Pulling for him to get a good chance.

BerryCollegeFan

I suspect he won't get drafted.  But I am sure he will get a few looks as an undrafted free agent.  Someone looking for a slot receiver and punt returner might take a chance on him.

He had a nice punt return in the Shrine game.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: BerryCollegeFan on January 29, 2020, 02:05:28 PM
I suspect he won't get drafted.  But I am sure he will get a few looks as an undrafted free agent.  Someone looking for a slot receiver and punt returner might take a chance on him.

He reminds me of Jerheme Urban. Caoch Urban hung around the pros a long time because of work ethic and excellent technique.

Ron Boerger

Quote from: Ralph Turner on February 05, 2020, 06:34:45 PM
Quote from: BerryCollegeFan on January 29, 2020, 02:05:28 PM

He reminds me of Jerheme Urban. Caoch Urban hung around the pros a long time because of work ethic and excellent technique.

And was apparently a hell of a team player.  Will never forget how the Seattle players went to bat for him after he suffered a season-ending injury and got cut - without benefits - late one year.  Little things like that matter when you're the last guy on the roster.  Seattle put him back on IR which let him rehab which led to the Chiefs signing him.

I wish Kinsey all the best.  He deserves a shot to show what he can do at the next level.